Anyone ever dump the whole motherload?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by popsongsmith, Jan 18, 2008.

1. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

I own half a dozen electric guitars, a dozen or so pedals and a few amps, and they're all good, but nothing spectacular. I'm considering selling the whole lot of it, and getting two killer guitars, a great channel-switching boutique combo, and maybe a few new pedals.

Anyone ever pull this move?

2. es125luv

es125luv Member

i'm getting close.

3. HBob

HBob Member

Every morning after a cup of coffee... oh, sorry. Thought you were talking about something else.

4. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

I did it. Ended up with a 12 year old CS esquire a 59 gibson ranger and a 57 tweed twin. A few Pedals. I do want a les paul custom. Also iam in the works on a brown pro, just need to con my brother out of it!:rotflmao

5. popsongsmith

good one. but more like 8 cups of coffee, a bag of prunes, and a Costco-size pouch of colon-blow...

6. Bloomfield fan

Bloomfield fan Silver Supporting Member

I unloaded everything 2 1/2 years ago. It was very liberating and fun to start over. Of course I did NOT wait to start buying new things until everything was sold.

7. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

My good friend did that about three years ago. Wasn't happy with anything. He had a good collection of vintage amps and "unique" guitars, as well as about 10 good quality pedals. His band broke up and he was just tired of everything - his sound, the way he wrote on that equipment.

We had fun offloading the stuff. Used eBay and CL and everything was gone in about three weeks. He cleared close to $4k. Then he bought a Johnny A and a vintage Twin and a FD-2. Put the rest in the bank, he's never been happier.

8. redpill

redpill Member

I didn't have as much, but I got rid of 4 PRS guitars, a Mesa Blue Angel 4x10 combo, and a bunch of pedals in one fast flurry about 4 1/2 years go. I bought two Thorns, two 7-watt Electrosonics, and a Koch Pedaltone. I've had them all ever since, and other than the Pedaltone, I will have them all until I go dead broke or lose an arm. I'm no longer on a tone quest. Now any new gear is just for fun. Danelectro stuff, a direct setup for project recording, etc. But no more Holy Grail searches. I'm glad I did it.

9. greatbigz

greatbigz Member

I traded in a Peavy XXL Head, a 5150 Cabinet, A Boss Gt-6 Processor and 2 Schecter Guitars.

I got a '65 Reissue Twin Reverb, and a host of pedals. The guy at Sam Ash kind of looked at me funny. Finally he said you went from being an 18 year old to a 50 year old in one transaction....Good times!!

10. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

I did it several years ago. Sold off my dozens of mediocre stuff and bought a few nice pieces. Very pleased with the results!

11. AfterDarkMusic

AfterDarkMusic Member

I tend to do this one department at a time. I'll make some realization or discovery about why something no longer sounds quite right, or I'll make some change in my style and feel the winds of change blowing in.

It happened with my amp 16 months back - sold my 1986 Laney AOR Pro-Tube Lead 50 watt head and 412 cab to the owner of the studio where I'm studying and bought my HD One-Thirty

Pedals about 8 months back - sold my EHX OD and Fuzz to buy a trotsky (still need to get another high[er] gain unit - Throbak ODB? yes I think so)

And then I just sold off some equipment from a hobby I'm no longer into and reinvested in a tele.

Each time I was very apprehensive at first but then when all was said and done I was more than pleased about what I ended up with.

12. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

If you get that nagging feeling when about to sell a guitar, that is trying to tell you to HANG ONTO THAT ONE.
    Almost sold my Tele in a depression a few years ago and I'm glad I did not.

13. Alter

Alter Member

the only problem is that, once you get a really spectacular guitar or amp, it raises the bar and your awareness of what "good sound" really is, and then, mediocre gear just won't do it for you any more. (.. there goes the bank account..)... :jo

14. popsongsmith

Thanks, y'all. Great advice!

My sense is that unless it's TRULY collectible gear, it's better to have a few KILLER pieces than a whole bunch of decent stuff. I tend to get caught up in the following line of reasoning:

"Wait a minute. I can get three Highway 1 Strats for the price of that one Suhr classic. I'll just replace the pickups and BINGO, aren't I clever!"

Well, I've come to realize that that argument is absolute rubbish, because no matter what you do, those Highway one's will never quite cut it.