• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Anyone ever go from a DRRI to a Blues Jr.?

Tbone135

Good? Bad?

I'm thinking about lightening up and simplifying my rig. I don't use the second channel of the DRRI and I'd love it to be less loud.

Laxrappa11

dropping from 22 watts in the DRRI to 15 watts of the BJ will barely give any noticeable difference in volume, namely in breakup characteristics. i also find these amps to have very different fundamental tones: the DRRI gives pristine, clear cleans that can be a bit stiff at times. i find the BJ to have a warmer rounder tone which seems to be more forgiving with pick attack.

Gtrman100

Gold Supporting Member
I went the opposite direction- from 2 Bj's to a DRRI. I guess the Bjr just isn't my thing, after speaker, transformer, tube and Billm mods, I still didn't bond with it. Not enough bass, boxy and muddy mids for my taste.

I have a '68 SFDR that I've been working on for several years, now it's done and sounds great, but I don't really want to gig a lot with it. I saw DRRI on Craigslist for $500 obo. The amp was cosmetically a mess(They painted Red, White and Blue paint over the lettering and knobs) but sonically it was great with new tubes and a Texas Heat installed... a couple hours later, an $8 can of paint remover, I've got mean tone machine that looks great.

The DRRI is louder to my ear, more headroom, better high end, and is the definition of what good tone is. JMHO...

TYY

Apples vs oranges. 6V6 vs EL84s. Totally different sonic signatures, clean tones and breakup characteristics. The deluxe is a lot louder as well. The deluxe has nice reverb; the verb on the blues jr is unusable in my opinion.

Check one out and see if it works for you. A lot of people greatly prefer the tone of the pro junior.

jlagrassa

Silver Supporting Member
I had a DRRI and have a blues junior now I think the Blues Junior takes pedals better than the DRRI, the DRRI is a nice amp but I seem to gel better with the BJ plus I like having a mids knob I've also done some modding to the amp.

Last edited:

Tbone135

Thanks for y'alls replies. The DRRI has the whole bright cap thing I don't want to deal with, and this weekend I really could've used some reverb. I think I miss the master volume option these days as well.

CocoTone

Man, no comparison. The Deluxe eats the Jr. Headroom, tone,. cleans, and takes pedals like a champ. The Jr's got the boxy tone sewn up.

CT.

Bikedude

Gold Supporting Member
Good? Bad?

I'm thinking about lightening up and simplifying my rig. I don't use the second channel of the DRRI and I'd love it to be less loud.
Then try the PRRI. Sounds just as good as a DRRI, maybe better, about half the weight, 15 watts, great rev.,and trem. one channel. Easy on the back, heavy on the "tone".

telejammer

Played a gig last Thursday with a band and the other guitar player was using a Blues Jr. and I used a DRRI. We both had Strats with EMG DG-20 pickups and the Deluxe was all over thr Jr. It just sounded way better, clearer, louder, and better tone and with an OCD it is outstanding. Apples and oranges.

Trending Topics