Anyone ever had a case against them opened in eBay?

Due to a comedy/tragedy of errors, I now have a case filed against me for an eBay auction. I've been trying to get a refund sent, but:

1. Didn't realize the whole amount would be drawn against my bank account, instead of PayPal balance and remainder in my bank account, so I wound up with a non-sufficient funds situation at the bank.

2. I now have enough money in my bank account, but the bank and/or PayPal have been excruciatingly slow to complete the transaction.

Anyone ever had a case filed against them? If so, what happened - how did it turn out?

DustyRhodesJr

If you are on ebay as a seller for more than 5 minutes, you will have
a case against you.

Doesnt mean you did anything wrong, best to just pay it and be done
with it.

omahaaudio

I have never, and will never, connect a bank account to my EBay account for just this reason. They can withdraw money from your account for any reason at any time and there's not a damn thing you can do about it.

bloomz

Ive never had a case filed against me but I'm sure that if one is the seller loses.

I'm speaking about music instruments but I sell other products but I always lost

Best count on that.

Rick Lee

I opened a case last week when the item didn't arrive for several days after the shipping notice said it would and I had sent a few messages to the seller asking what was up. He ignored me until I opened the case. He responded within minutes that USPS had returned it as undeliverable and so he sent it UPS. A total lie and I asked why he thought UPS would find me if USPS did not.

Hammered

Silver Supporting Member
I had a case opened against me last year 2 weeks after the buyer left me positive feedback for a small inexpensive tube amp. The seller said the amp went haywire , I told him I`d send him new tubes to see if that was any help but he was positive that wasn't the problem and ebay sided with him of course. He got refunded I got the amp back put new power tubes in it and it worked fine. I`ll only sell small items like pedals if I absolutely have to use ebay. The seller will always lose

Thanks! I'm actually trying to make the refund, but with the NSF it's going agonizingly slow. I saw the eCheck draw successfully against my bank account, but PayPal still shows the refund as uncleared.

What a bummer - I had a 100% positive rating after 12 or 13 years and 345 transactions (with ratings).

DustyRhodesJr

Thanks! I'm actually trying to make the refund, but with the NSF it's going agonizingly slow. I saw the eCheck draw successfully against my bank account, but PayPal still shows the refund as uncleared.

What a bummer - I had a 100% positive rating after 12 or 13 years and 345 transactions (with ratings).
As others are saying, they cannot pull from your account, so something
went badly wrong. Maybe you hit the button by mistake that says you
agree to a refund?

And, because you have a case against you does not affect your record,
the feedback system operates seperately.

80tiger

Platinum Supporting Member
Yeah, just make sure the seller is not POd enough to leave neg fb. I had that done after I opened a case against a non paying buyer in Argentina. Took a year to get ebay to remove the fb. Doofuses.

Yes, I did agree to a refund. However, it's showing in uncleared status in PayPal. The buyer has been calling me a liar (hey, that rhymes) from the beginning, so when the refund didn't clear, he figured I was deliberately doing something to keep from paying the refund, so he opened a case.

omahaaudio

This is what paypal told me. They cannot take money from your personal bank account that is linked to your paypal account. All they can do is freeze money in your paypal account until a resolution made between parties.
Then that someone at PayPal was lying to you, but that doesn't surprise me at all. Getting valid information out of them is like pulling teeth from an elephant's mouth, using your hands and no pliers.

A good friend had a few hundred dollars taken out of his linked bank account after a case was opened and PayPal sided with the buyer. PayPal always sides with the buyer.

As to disputes. I sold someone a camera in very good condition. The pictures in the listing showed all sides of the camera and showed that there was no damage to it.

The buyer complained of a chip on the bottom of the camera, which wasn't there when I sent it. Did Ebay believe me and the photos? Heck no. I got the camera back, with a chip on the bottom, and so got $200 less for it when it eventually sold.

@#$% Ebay.

scottlr

When I used to sell on ebay, I had a separate checking account from my personal account linked to Paypal. As soon as I got paid, it went into that account, and as soon as it cleared, transferred to my personal account.

guitarmook

I had a kinda rare old Gibson amp on ebay years ago. A seller offered a good price if I would make a buy it now auction, so I did, and he paid a little more than I hoped to get. When it arrived, he gave positive feedback. Then about 5 days later, he said the amp was faulty. I asked what was wrong, and he said his tech told him it would cost $300 to fix, and I needed to send him the money. I asked to see the tech's written estimate, and for a phone number to talk to the tech. Radio silence until 4 days later and he's opened a paypal dispute.

I told him AND paypal to send the tech's estimate and contact information, or just return the amp to me. Paypal (surprisingly) repeated my request to him. While they froze the cash. When he stayed silent for several weeks, they released the money to me.

Trending Topics