anyone ever heard of EVAN KEITH handmade guitars??? (TELE!!)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by adelphi710, Mar 2, 2005.

1. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

2. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

3. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

sorry, link fixed!!!!

4. pugsfly

pugsfly Member

Looks nice.. The specs pretty good though, up to date..

5. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Looks like a good deal............I'd be really intrested in a review.........:cool:

6. telest

telest Member

Looks good. Is that a big honkin' capacitor or what? :eek:

Steve

7. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

yeah for real, what is the purpose of that?

8. John Bell

John Bell Member

He buys parts from e-bay and throws them together.Mostly junk,just like that tele.If you can't tell it's junk,you need to learn to be more savy before buying.Seriously.........

9. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    John, I was just researching this as you posted, and you took the words right out of my mouth.

If you simply click down through the seller/builder's feedback, you'll see they're buying every single part, bodies, mighty mite necks, saddles, pickguards, control plates, string trees, everything, off of random Ebay parts auctions.

I would guess that explains why they take no orders, and every guitar they've sold is a "Custom Handcrafted Tele" (their words, not mine). They're not even building a guitar until they can get the parts they want at the auction prices they want. Good/interesting way to hold down costs.

Hey, Nash Guitars buys their parts from the big suppliers and sells them for nearly twice what these guitars sell for, so I'm not knocking someone's business. Evan Keith is obviously meeting some need and selling a "nice looking" guitar to some buyers.

But as John said, just know what you're actually getting, and know you can buy the same parts off Ebay and assemble them yourself or get a local luthier to do it for you for less.

If you want a cheap Tele, there are tons of mint used Warmoth/USACG guitars that come up all the time for half the price of the Evan Keith Guitars.

For $800, you can buy a fine used Hamer or G&L, hand built by luthiers in the USA.

10. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

i definitely realized that evan keith isn't the way to go between when i posted this thread and the last reply i just read. i noticed everywhere i went searching for evan keith it had b.s. written all over it....

11. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

So.....what exactly would be wrong with that guitar? If it matches your criteria for parts quality, guitar assembly is pretty far from rocket science.

BTW, picking up ebay parts and expecting to produce a guitar on which everything fits well did not work for me. Having someone else pull together the appropriate bits seems like a good idea.

12. KRosser

KRosser Member

I went through a period of about two years where I played guitars I assembled myself from parts. It was actually pretty fruitful - I learned an awful lot about guitars, what makes them work, and mostly what I specifically like and don't like. But, at a certain point I washed my hands of the whole ordeal and sold off all the various parts and guitars (they were all Teles - with the money I made I bought a G&L ASAT, which made me say, "Hmmm...so THAT'S how you do it").

What I ultimately learned is that I should let guitar makers build and guitar players play, and me presumably being a player, I should hang up the soldering iron and get on with it....

13. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Well, actually I tend to agree, but not having invested in one of those presumably magic guitars, and, judging by comments in other threads that beauty and expense is still no guarantee that you will get one, how can anyone judge an ebay partsocaster as junk when the specs look good and you cannot even test it? (not that buying an untried guitar is a good idea!)

14. KRosser

KRosser Member

Well, I hear what you're sayin'...But...

... let me put it this way: I've played enough Teles, Fender and otherwise, that played and sounded so poor (for me....) that I'd never buy one without trying it. Unless, it was a G&L ASAT Classic, which I would take a chance on since I've never played one that felt/sounded bad (for me....)

YMMV and all the standard disclaimers.....

15. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    You can't judge it fairly, but at least you know what your getting.

At least now you know you're getting a Tele built from parts accumulated one at a time off Ebay, purchased as cheaply as possible, by a builder who's not doing this full-time, and you're getting whatever FrankenTele can be parted together when the buying stops.

In and of itself, none of those actions guarantees a bad Tele. As I mentioned, Nash Guitars parts their bodies and necks from USACG, etc. But they do a high level of inspection of those parts before they buy them, to insure they meet their standard.

With the EvanKeith, you might hit it lucky and get the Tele of a lifetime. What you have to consider is your odds of doing that on that single Tele that he's selling at that time.

A trained luthier hopefully brings more to the table. They should be doing the things they're trained to do to get excellent, consistent results from their work. They're trained to do that by:

- careful wood selection, by grade, tap tones, etc, not whatever the Ebay Tele body guy is selling that week.
    - careful matching of an appropriate body to an appropriate neck, again by grade, tap tones, etc.
    - testing pickups carefully to get optimum, consistent tone results within the deviation of bodies/necks/parts.
    - careful bridge selection (particularly on a Tele) to optimize tone.
    - and certainly dozens of additional things they've learned over the course of their training and career.

The two guys at Evan Keith may have some of those skills, but considering how they're operating, it doesn't give me a high degree of confidence that they will provide consistent, excellent results.

In comparison, at the same price range of $800 carefully check out 10 used Hamers or G&L's, and tell me what you find in terms of quality and consistency. If you can't do that, then search the threads here and find 10-20 posts about what others have found out testing those brands.

16. Unburst

Unburst Member

For $800 you could buy a used Fender USA RI.

17. KRosser

KRosser Member

here's another thing my 'guitar-assembling days' taught me: the best collection of parts money can buy does not necessarily a good guitar make

18. KRosser

KRosser Member

Exactly...for me, learning scales was not all that difficult...making music? I'll be happily wrestling with that for a long time....

19. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I guess we're talking about a different level of craftsmanship since I think most off-the-shelf guitars reflect the design of the luthier but represent more closely the work of a manufacturing/production engineer and an assembly staff.

What is the price point at which one can get assurance of best available wood matching and flawless assembly and great tonal quality?

20. KRosser

KRosser Member

There are very high quality, very affordable instruments being made by G&L, Jerry Jones & Reverend (just to name three that I've had experience with) that reflect not only excellent design but excellent quality control and workmanship. Without naming names, I've owned several very expensive boutique guitars that couldn't measure up to any of these.

Not that I have anything against anyone spending lots of money on boutique guitars - but let's not kid ourselves that this is the only way you can sound good, if not great, or that purchasing one instantly makes you a better (or even better-sounding) player.....

Someone else here mentioned Hamer - while I have no experience with them personally, many folks whose opinions I respect love them and sound great on them, so I'd say they could fall in that category as well