Anyone ever leave a good band due to too many gigs and rehearsals?

mvd18969

This is my dilemna. I've been playing with my current band for about 2 years. Very talented lineup and a keyboard player that can play anything really helps to add depth to the song catalog.
When I first joined, I told them that i wanted to gig once per month, with the occassional 2nd gig if it was something really good. Rehearsals would be once per week until up to speed, then every other week. Everyone seemed to be on board with that. Shortly after joining, it become evident due to work schedules that rehearsals were impossible to schedule during the week, so we had to switch to rehearsing weekly on Saturday or Sunday afternoons (this didn't go over well with the woman). Prior to joining, the band was a mainstay for about 10 years and had a very good and loyal following. They had been on hiatus for about a year when I joined and were retooling the lineup due to 2 prior members leaving for various reasons.
Once we had enough material down to start gigging, we started out slowly with one gig per month.
After a few months, the band was picking up steam and the places were contacting us to book additional dates. Before I knew it, we were playing 2-3 gigs per month with a Saturday or Sunday rehearsal thrown in once or twice per month to polish up parts or work on new songs. I had a conversation with the bandleader that between the gigs and rehearsing on weekends, every weekend seemed to be tied up with band stuff, and I was fitting the rest of my life around the band schedule. No one else seemed to mind which made me the only one that thought this. Then 2 weeks ago I got an email from the bandleader with the "summer calendar" to date. I think 3 was the minimum number that i saw for any of the summer months so far............and anticipating additional dates. I told them i would stay on until the end of May, but then I'll be leaving. I am the guitar player and I sing lead on about 1/3 of the songs so they'll have to rework the song lists. Hate to leave as i get to play a lot of stuff that I normally wouldn't be able to do in other bands, but it's just too much of a committment any more. Oddly enough, about 2 months ago, I ran into one of the former members that preceded me. His reason for leaving was the same thing.............too many gigs. He just had a newborn as well so that would definitely be an issue..
Anyone else ever find themselves in this spot?

27sauce

^^^yeah. It turns into a job.

I was at the crossroads a little over 10 years ago where the gigs were too many, but also too good. I made the choice to quit my day job and focus on the gigs. I don’t regret it for a bit. Tough choice, however. Especially with a family.

mvd18969

Yes I have. At a certain point in life some other things tend to take priority. No one to blame, but when part time fun turns into part time job it was time for me to go.
Thats a great way to put it.....part time fun turned into part time job

Surgeon

Not a "great" band but quite good (they showed potential). There weren't too many rehearsals but the guys practiced too late and I couldn't stay up until 2-3am on week nights considering my job required me to be up at 7... guys saw me as such a square when I told them that was why I quit.

Franklin

Gold Supporting Member
Yes I have had too. It was 20 years ago and they were trying to "make it" when I was trying to pay the mortgage. I was 30, they were all in their early 20s with no children. It sucks, but that is life!

In my previous band we made accommodations for the folks going through this with back up members and reduced practices.

mvd18969

Not a "great" band but quite good (they showed potential). There weren't too many rehearsals but the guys practiced too late and I couldn't stay up until 2-3am on week nights considering my job required me to be up at 7... guys saw me as such a square when I told them that was why I quit.
i hear you. I have a professional day job as well so I can relate.

mvd18969

Yes I have had too. It was 20 years ago and they were trying to "make it" when I was trying to pay the mortgage. I was 30, they were all in their early 20s with no children. It sucks, but that is life!

In my previous band we made accommodations for the folks going through this with back up members and reduced practices.
None of us are spring chickens......we're all late 40s and up. I see this a a fun hobby; I think the others put more weight on what this represents to them in their lives.

Franklin

Gold Supporting Member
I see what you are saying mvd. That makes sense. I just turned 50 and my band is getting to that point. To them practice is the weekly social event and there is very little effort put into gigging. When it takes hours of loading, unloading, setting up, breaking down, loading and unloading for a gig, it takes a lot out of you -especially with a big PA!

We are now concentrating on corporate and festival type gigs; which is okay but some of us want to perform more than once every 2 or 3 months.

Now that we have a kick ass singer and countless originals I thought it would be nice to get a good recording done, even if done in the rehearsal room and mixed ourselves. But I am the only one really interested in doing that, so it goes to show you everyone is different.

It's like I tell people when they ask what is it like being in a band:
"Being in a band is like being married to several people at the same time, and they are all musicians" :D

Badstrat

Gold Supporting Member
Not enough gigs or too many rehearsals would be my reasons for leaving a band. Or band mates not learning their parts at home.

BadAssBill

Gold Supporting Member
If you're gigging three times a month you don't need to be rehearsing. We haven't rehearsed in years...we are all pros so new songs go in the third set that aren't easy. They move up as we get em down.
It's a great problem to have IMHO...

Calebz

The only time we keep a regular rehearsal schedule simultaneously with an active gigging schedule is when we are actively working on writing new stuff.

One of the conditions I put in when I joined the project a few years ago - no weekend rehearsals. We've flexed around that a handful of times. No problem.

We've overdone it a couple times - rehearsal, studio, gigs. All in the same week. 3-4 weeks in a row.

That breaks stuff. Usually people. It was also a leading cause of the dissolution/evolution of my last project. I will not likely make that mistake again. I've been extremely lucky in that I landed immediately on my feet with some talented musicians stepping to fill the voids.

mvd18969

I would agree for the most part. But no matter how competent a musician you are, you are not going to be able to pull off songs like "gonna hitch a ride" by Boston or 'Carry on my wayward son" without a few rehearsals...... For just the backing harmonies alone
If you're gigging three times a month you don't need to be rehearsing. We haven't rehearsed in years...we are all pros so new songs go in the third set that aren't easy. They move up as we get em down.
It's a great problem to have IMHO...

jekylmeister

Raconteur Extraordinaire
Gold Supporting Member
I am personally not interested in a part-time 'job'. I play music (as a hobby, I guess) for my own enjoyment and love doing it with others. I also enjoy the thrill of performing, but when it becomes a job to prepare for those low-paying back of the bar gigs, I think I'm pretty done with it. I just want to have fun playing the guitar. YMMV

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
I did leave a band once because it was all rehearsal no gigs...and they weren't fun rehearsals.

Funny thing is, the band I've been with a long time now rehearses a lot - but it's fun. We work on some new stuff, jam on some old stuff, have a few beers along the way and a few laughs. We do 5-7 gigs a year. I'm good with that.

jekylmeister

Raconteur Extraordinaire
Gold Supporting Member
I did leave a band once because it was all rehearsal no gigs...and they weren't fun rehearsals.

Funny thing is, the band I've been with a long time now rehearses a lot - but it's fun. We work on some new stuff, jam on some old stuff, have a few beers along the way and a few laughs. We do 5-7 gigs a year. I'm good with that.
Where do I sign up?

Artie Fisk

I was in an original band that had a small local following. The other primary songwriter in the band booked the gigs, and he was taking every gig opportunity that came along. It got to be a bit much. He'd book us into a tiny restaurant/bar more than an hour away where we'd play to like 6 people, and after gas and dinner, the gigs ended up costing me money. If I'm away from my family for 6 hours at a time and it's costing me money, it had better be really rewarding. It wasn't. I quit. Never regretted it. They still play, and they've shifted in style to the sort of thing I would never want to play anyway. Win/win. Although both wins are for me.

Trending Topics