• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Anyone ever made a jig for testing pickups?

Colamander

I’ve been playing around in my head with the idea of building a sort of jig for testing pickups. Well, really only for testing bridge pickups in a strat. I’m thinking of modifying a pickguard so that I can easily attach pickups from the top (on top of the strings). Then I could use some alligator clips or something, and roughly test a bunch of different pickups very quickly, without having to remove strings. Obviously it wouldn’t really be playable, but I could get an idea of the rough tonality of a bunch of pickups in my strat without much effort. TGP perma-skeptics feel free to chime in.

vortexxxx

Silver Supporting Member
Tony Iommi came up with a way to do this from the back in the early to mid 70s. He never bothered patenting it though.
Didn't Gibson have a guitar that swapped pickups easily?

Colamander

Strats are not the easiest platform for a test bed guitar but there are some examples, including at Fender ....
That’s cool, but would require a body specifically for this purpose. I’ll see what I can whip up and post it here sometime. It’ll be a while though - I’m still waiting on the body I’m going to use

Theorist

Silver Supporting Member
It’s been done in many ways, both as a testing jig and final products...

Seymour Duncan had a rotary one too...

Ron Kirn

Platinum Supporting Member
as I recall Bill Lawrence adapted a Strat so the pickups were moiunted on a seperate "slide". That went onto the modified Strat as a whole unit, then that was screwed down.. He said Leo had a similar unit.. which is interesting because Bill, as a 20 something "kid" would hang with Leo working on pickups..

r

Trending Topics