Anyone ever make a cable-making clamp jig?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by RockStarNick, Feb 16, 2009.

1. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

Anyone ever make a cool homebrew kinda cable making jig?

I could have sworn I saw something on here. using alligator clips, some wood and screws.

I want to make some cables this weekend, but need an extra hand. hence, the clips.

Any good suggestions?

2. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

I'd like to know about this also.

Anything commercially available?

3. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

I watched a cable making video recently, and the guy just punched the plug into a cardboard box. It worked for him. I have a vise with rubber pads, and have used that. I also have one of the soldering tools that have two alligator clips and a magnifying glass mounted to a stand. I'm pretty sure I got that at Radio Shack.

John

4. drolling

drolling Member

I've got something similar; Two swiveling arms w/clips mounted too a heavy base. Think it's called a 'helping hand' and it's very useful if your own hands are as shaky as mine..

Now that my eyes are shot, too, I could really use that magnifying glass attachment - Thanks for the heads-up!

5. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

Two small bench vices....the ones that have the suction bottoms...

6. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

7. Spudman

Spudman Member

8. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

I use the one from radio shack minus the magnifying glass. I've seen people use a cardboard box and punch a hole using a plug to keep the plug half way in there. Whatever works I guess!

9. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

I have quite a few cable making "jigs" "aids" "3rd hand" kind of things, all made of machined High density polyethelene (HDPE) and 6061 aluminum or 304 stainless.

Fixed Soldering iron mount, inverted with a spool holder at the top, great for doing XLR jacks, not good for 1/4" but handy non the less, Basically a swing arm mounted to the bench which clamps the iron down and has height adjust on it. Flat vice with machined jaws at the bottom, 1", .5" and 3/4" half rounds for doing various sized connectors.

also have a Vice with custom HDPE Jaws I machined , each has a 1/4" half round in the end and on the top for clamping single plugs, then I have a second set with 5x 1/4" half rounds in each jaw for doing multiple plugs at once..

6-20" Patch cable jig, varible, 2 rails with 5 jacks each on a sliding HDPE Base, put the connectors in, cable rest in the center which I added a light tension clamp, can pop out 5 patches at a time with it.

If you use a vice I suggest either getting some HDPE or Wood jaws for them, really allows for a solid mount without damaging the connector or scratching it.

10. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Member

Jack mounted on something handy. Stick the plug in and it's held.

11. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

drill a hole in a piece of wood stick a old 1/4 female jack in it,use the threaded washer to tighten (just like the input of your actual guitar) bamm..
    instant,solid,and won't damage the male end..