'Anyone Ever Replace AC Cable on Plexi Era Amp? Tips Needed.

guitar007

I just discovered that my '68 has a short in its AC cable. This cable is pretty beat and is definitely needs to be fully replaced. My concern is regarding the plexi panel and the strain relief. I defiantly cannot risk cracking the rear panel. These old plexi panels have become very brittle with age and simply looking at them work will cause them to crack. I plan on purchasing a strain relief tool like this one to make it easier.

300-151.JPG

Has anyone out there already attempted this with success? I'd appreciate any tips that would help me. Thanks in advance.

Jeff Gehring

Gold Supporting Member
A suggestion: When you're ready to do the deed, first cut the old AC cord off nearly flush with the OUTSIDE of the strain relief. Ideally, inside the chassis, they have removed most of the outer AC cord jacket up to within a half inch or so of the INSIDE of the strain relief. After first writing down/photographing/mentally noting the locations where you will be attaching the new AC cord, disconnect the old three wires and -- grasping ONE wire with a long nose pliers-- see if you can pull that one wire out of the strain relief by itself. If you can, you can then do likewise for the remaining two, and the old strain relief will practically fall out of the chassis into your hand. Less trauma for the plexiglass, if you can pull it off, nyuk nyuk...

xtian

Yes, that is a clever bastard way to do it. I have done that before, but I didn't remember to mention it, so I'm not the clever bastard in this case.

TimmyP

I thought that all of the oldies had Bulgin mains connectors on the chassis.

zenas

I thought that all of the oldies had Bulgin mains connectors on the chassis.

My 74 1987 has a hard wired ac cord. I was told it's a Canadian spec amp which makes sense. I was only an hour or so south of the border when I bought it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom