• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

anyone ever replaced a MIM strat body with Warmoth?

doghouseman

I have built about 7 warmoth guitars. All fit perfectly. However, I am not sure I would try what you are going to do unless you wanted to change the wood. I think guitars sound better when they stay together, taking them apart can introduce some looseness in the parts that is hard to track down. The Mexican guitar quality is fine.

germs

unless you're absolutely in love with the rest of the guitar, i wouldn't bother.

can't justify the cost on an MIM - as an owner of about a dozen or so over the years, i really like them - you can find used MIM's too cheaply.

jimbobaby

I have built about 7 warmoth guitars. All fit perfectly. However, I am not sure I would try what you are going to do unless you wanted to change the wood. I think guitars sound better when they stay together, taking them apart can introduce some looseness in the parts that is hard to track down. The Mexican guitar quality is fine.
Looseness in the parts? Not if you know what you're doing. Which isn't difficult on a strat. What parts do you find are loose and can't be tightened?

doghouseman

Looseness in the parts? Not if you know what you're doing. Which isn't difficult on a strat. What parts do you find are loose and can't be tightened?
Screws that go into the wood which remove wood every time you take them out. The neck screws are a good example of this. Which is why I moved to machine screw inserts for the neck screws.

jimbobaby

Ah, that's true but it takes a lot of times for that to happen if you're careful and don't over tighten. It wouldn't put me off if I wanted to change the body, that's for sure.

doghouseman

Ah, that's true but it takes a lot of times for that to happen if you're careful and don't over tighten. It wouldn't put me off if I wanted to change the body, that's for sure.
Well, if you were changing the body, you are putting new screws into a brand new body with no holes. I was talking about the older body if you want to use the old pickguard or any of the older hardware.

Basically any wood screw if you take out and put back in is going to loose some wood, so all of the screws around the pickgaurd, the jack insert, the pickup selector, the string trees, the string tuners. All of these are wood screws and will remove wood, causing eventual looseness unless you fill the holes.

funkycam

Thanks all.
Back story here is I bought a blacktop strat a while ago, as parts broke over time (!) I ended up putting a Callham bridge on there, Lollar el rayos, full professional rewire and locking sperzels.
It sounds good but a/b-ing unplugged with a friend's Moollon I realized the body is pretty dead. I put a lot into it (parts cost more than the guitar even without the professional labor) and I like the feel, I figured I'd just finish the job and switch out the body.
MIM bodies as I understand it are like 7 pieces with veneer over the top and the paint is thick and dead, so a one or two piece Warmoth with a thin skin finish shld be a pretty decent step up, (hopefully way beyond tightness of screws etc), but I wasn't sure how all the pieces (especially the neck pocket) wld fit.

Many people have thought of doing this or done it; buy a cheap guitar you like the feel of & gradually upgrade. I wld never do it again. I wld just suck it up and buy something that speaks to you as-is.

In case you care this is the guitar as it currently looks and sounds: