• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Anyone ever see Blue Cheer live?

sunkidd

Gold Supporting Member
I didn't see them…. but listened to their first 2 albums as loud as my stereo would play!
staring at the record covers….

does that count for anything?

Huh…. did you say something?

GulfportBound

They must of been something else.

I'm sure if you did, your ears are still ringing.
Only if you saw the Blue Cheer of Vincebus Eruptum (and I still think that album sounds like what you'd get if you recorded jams between Cream and the Jimi Hendrix Experience---but first feeding them copious amounts of controlled substances), Outsideinside, and half of New! Improved! Blue Cheer (when Randy Holden first replaced Leigh Stephens and they cut three more power trio cuts---not even half as loud as the original threesome but loud enough).

The later Blue Cheer wasn't even half as loud but they were damn interesting even with Dickie Peterson the only original member left in the band. And they played some interesting rock-and-soul music while getting rather experimental toward the end (check out the lost album Oh! Pleasant Hope). Among the members in the latter Blue Cheer was Norman Mayell, a Chicago drummer who turned out to be the drummer on Mike Bloomfield's first Columbia sessions (1964) after John Hammond, Sr. discovered Bloomfield . . .

GAT

Platinum Supporting Member
We opened up for them in the late 70s. It was nuts how loud they were.

Cal Webway

In the summer of 68' the day or 2 after they played Clowe's Hall in Indianapolis, my 14 y/o buddy and I were pawn-shopping
for music instruments we couldn't afford, and saw in one a black Fender cse with 'Blue Cheer' stenciled on it...

The bass was prolly hanging somewhere there.

The owners musta thought it was some mild Don Ho festive band when they took it in!!
Nah... they knew what they were doing

ggwwbb

Silver Supporting Member
I was too young to have seen them live, but I've been a fan since I was a teenager in the 80's......Their "Best of Blue Cheer: Louder Than God" record pretty much sums them up......

picnic

never saw them, but our high school days band did most of the Vincebus album. Rock star role model band was a given when they were billed as the "loudest band in America" What 15 year old wouldn't want to be like them?

Lotis

Gold Supporting Member
Saw them many times and got to play with and know Dickie Peterson a little later on. They were something. First wall of Marshall's I ever saw...maybe '67 or so at the Fillmore.
It was great growing up around SF bay area in those days.

Baxtercat

Silver Supporting Member
Good one Gatt.
Caught the act often—no doubt the beginning of ear damage [well, besides rolls of caps and 22 rifles as a kid].

Saw them many times and got to play with and know Dickie Peterson a little later on. They were something. First wall of Marshall's I ever saw...maybe '67 or so at the Fillmore.
It was great growing up around SF bay area in those days.
that's awesome.. He seemed like he was pretty cool.

Boston617

I saw the last incarnation sometime in 2006 or 2007, they played at the Middle East in Cambridge, MA. A 500 capacity club. It was very loud.

I actually love their final album. It's borderline doom metal.

Suave Eddie

I saw them in 1968 at this anti-Vietnam war rally in Los Angeles.

This was the first time I saw a wall of Marshall amps. The hype going around at the time involved reports of broken eardrums at their shows.

Vincebus Eruptum got a lot of play on my turntable at the time.

pbmw

Saw them twice.
Once in LA and once in SF
Sometime in late 67 or early 68.
Very Very Very loud.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom