Anyone ever tried V30s+G12Ms in a Mesa Traditional 4x12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Markdude, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Markdude

Markdude Member

I have a Mesa Traditional 4x12 with English Mesa-branded Vintage 30s. It sounds great but I'm a little bored of the sound of V30s. My friend has a Matchless 2x12 with a V30 and a G12M25 and it sounds absolutely fantastic. I'm thinking of buying a pair of G12M25s and throwing them in the Mesa in an X-pattern, but I'm not sure how it will sound with the dimensions of the Mesa cab. I know that the V30s will be a bit louder than the Greenbacks but I don't really care which speaker type is the dominant one as long as the overall tone is good. Has anyone ever tried this combination in a Mesa 4x12?

2. bdm

bdm Supporting Member

I recommend trying the greenbacks on top and the v30s on the bottom. This configuration is in my Friedman cab and it works well.

I also have another 4x12 filled with Greenbacks and comparatively the two v30s add a little lowend and higher cut making it a little bit more "modern" sounding.

They have noticeably more output so having them on the bottom helps balance them (perceptively speaking) out front.

sg~guy and Markdude like this.
  3. Markdude

Markdude Member

Sounds like the V30 + Greenback combo is a win if it's used in Friedman cabs! Anyone ever happened to try this combo with a Mesa Traditional 4x12?

4. slybird

slybird Member

I'm not sure I would want to aim a V30 directly at anyone in the audience. Angling them up is better for shows IMO, but might not be the most pleasing for the guitarist.