• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Anyone ever try a bass combo wedge as a low $$ monitor?

Kyle Ashley

Silver Supporting Member
I'm slightly interested in designing a small pedal based rig going into a Torpedo CAB for speaker and pwr amp sim. Stage volume must be kept very low so I'm looking into a wedge type design monitor.

Don't want to pop for anything too pricey yet like a CLR, so I was curious if anyone ever tried to get a bit of clean monitoring out of a small bass combo wedge such as a Fender Rumble or Acoustic AB50.

Badside

I'm thinking you might get more luck out of a keyboard wedge like this: http://traynoramps.com/keyboard/product/k4/

Bass amp are designed to have a certain flavor, keyboard amps are design to be flat.
Plus this one is also stereo and has a second channel for your mic or acoustic. It has the same amount of speakers as the Line6 AmpliFi, but twice the power.
They also have smaller mono options.

lowyaw

i agree - bass amp is going to have more bass than you need for monitoring application, and probably sound too scooped. of course it will work okay as a monitor so you can hear yourself, but as to giving le treu :D representation of what you sound like thru the FOH - then the answer is no.

kevinpmajka

I use my bass amp at home. It's fine for practicing with a little volume when my micro wedge is left at the rehearsal spot. It's not my favorite- but it certainly can get you started. Just remember that the patches will have to be redone when it's new amp time.

chrisjnyc

Silver Supporting Member
Any amp with an FX loop will work... The Roland JC120 makes a great amp\cab setup for the Axe Fx.

You could also get an Alto or ZLX PA speaker for about $250-400

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
You'll eq to your bass wedge and it will work fine for you, but sound like crap in the house.

Go FRFR or IEM.

ur2funky

Silver Supporting Member
My TC Electronic RS210 Bass cabs have tweeters in them and sound pretty close to a full range speaker with music played through them.

Kyle Ashley

Silver Supporting Member
thanks for all the suggestions so far! I did purchase a Torpedo CAB so once I get that and get going with it, I'll move towards a monitor plan.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom