Anyone ever try a S&W 627 V Comp?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by samdjr74, Mar 14, 2015.

1. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

Hi All,

I just found out I'm getting a nice bonus next month. I'm on the hunt for a really nice 357 and saw the two tone 627 V comp, just wondering if anyone shot one and if so your thoughts?

This is the one I'm talking about

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Sam

2. paris is burnin

paris is burnin Member

If I had the loot that pistol would be mine..great choice

3. samdjr74

In the looks department it's a winner but I haven't found anyone who actually shot one to get an idea how it is. I' using it for target/sport shooting and I know it's on the heavier side.

4. hogy

hogy Member

I'm sure that's a fine revolver.

Personally, I prefer the classic S&W look, and I'd never buy a S&W product with a lock, so I'd be looking for a nice older gun.

As for the compensator, I'm not sure why a .357 needs one. Downside is that there's a big, blinding flash coming out right by the front sight where your eye is focused. In low light, that'll put you out of commission for a few seconds.

5. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

I've shot several, and my brother owned that particular 2-tone model. It is an outstanding revolver!

Around here we have steel plate matches almost every Sunday when the weather permits. A lot of folks shoot various 8-shot N frames in revolver class. No one shoots full power 357's from them, though. One very popular thing is to use 38 short colt brass. The shorter cartridge helps with fast reloads. The long 357 brass can be difficult to get into the cylinder quickly.

The heavy barreled V-Comp helps with fast follow up shots. The comp is removable. The trigger lock is a non-issue. The firing line of matches are filled with S&W's with locks and I've yet to see a lock related issue in all the years since their inception and have witnessed 100's of 1000's of rounds going downrange.

Me, I shoot a 627 chambered in 38 Super...my next will me a 929 which is chambered in 9mm!

Here's my 627 set up for stock class,

[​IMG]

and set-up for open class,

[​IMG]

6. ACfixer

ACfixer Member

What role will it serve for you Sam? If it's just for the sake of owning a nice .357 then I'd agree with Hogy and look for an older 27 just because I like the classic looks. But that being said, S&W and especially the performance center make outstanding firearms and I can't imagine that once being any different.

7. hogy

hogy Member

Just to clarify, I didn't mean that the lock was a technical issue. It is a political issue for me.

But there's also this:

8. RussB

Worried about the lock? Remove it!

9. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

OP, here's what you do. Follow Hogy around. It might take a day or two, but definitely no more than a week. When you see him head for the door of a pawnshop, you jump in front, enter the store, and lock him outside. Inside it is a virtual certainty that you'll find a beautiful S&W 27 in 98% condition. If you're lucky, maybe a Python. And either way, it will be priced at half it's book value. (;-) Not that I'm envious).

10. samdjr74

Exactly, I'm looking for another 357. I was thinking about the GP100 or a 686 but now that I have some extra spending money I'm expanding my options..

At the same time just because I have the extra money doesn't mean I need to spend it, so I'm not ruling out anything yet.

11. samdjr74

Hey if I can get a Python at half book value I'm down for that!

12. samdjr74

Very nice!

13. samdjr74

I've heard stories about the lock, good point. I know it can be removed but is it legal to remove?

I think I would need to try a gun with a compensator. I hear what you're saying but I usually shoot in a well lit range. Again, good info to look out for, thanks!

14. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

Yes, the lock can be legally removed.

15. samdjr74

Ok thanks.

16. RussB

As was mentioned, the lock mechanism can and sometimes are removed. There's a guy out there that makes a nice little plug for the hole.

A comp fired indoors can be very loud, as it directs the blast strait up...that reminds of the first time my son (who is no stranger to firearms) shot my 38 super comp'd 2011 open class auto. We were shooting at the indoor range at my club. There is a dropped ceiling above the firing line.

130 grain 38 Super rounds at about 1400fps produces quite a blast out the comp, and blew particles of dropped ceiling down on him. The very loud report and the residue falling had him shoot one, and only one magazine through the gun LOL. Outdoors it ain't so bad though. Still quite loud

17. samdjr74

Considering I'll be shooting mostly indoors this could be an issue. Thanks for the info.

18. claudel

claudel Member

There's even someone on the S&W forum that sells a plug for the hole that's left after removing the lock...

19. crambone

crambone Supporting Member