Anyone experienced w/ Line 6 Vetta 2 or Spidervalve Head??

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Beatlefan1968, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Beatlefan1968

Beatlefan1968 Member

Hello, my musical taste and hobby is learning to play classic rock from my favorite artist. I am a believer in tube tone after having owned several tube amps (thanks M.F.!) but want to closer replicate their tone and sound that you hear on their recording. I definetely want an amp that can cover Stevie Ray Vaughan's tone, and also anything from Rush to Beatles to Queen to Warren Haynes (Gov't Mule, Allman Brothers)tone. Of the two amps mentioned - Vetta 2 and the new Spidervalve 100 watt head - can you recommend? I want the versatility of the Vetta 2, but do not want to sacrifice guitar tone for a generic digital sound, if there is such a sacrifice. I have limited experience with both in a noisy music store (G.C.) and was hoping someone with experience could share their opinion, PLEASE! Also, in keeping with Celestion Vintage 30's or something good, what 4x12 cab would you recommend? Any thoughts with the Egnater 4x12 Vintage 30 model?? Thank you so much for your help.

2. bforest4

bforest4 Supporting Member

I would recommend getting a used spidervalve head(lots of sounds, fx, and bang for the buck) for around $600 and than getting a real tube amp head with no digital stuff when you want pure tone(I recommend Badcat Hotcat, /13, Suhr Badger, Fargen, Vox AC15 HW, Marshall, Egnator). I have the spidervalve combo, and dig the quick access to hundreds of sounds with fx, but it doesn't hang with my higher end tube amps for pure tone.

3. EdgeOfDarkness

EdgeOfDarkness Member

I would suggest a used vetta and getting the armin mod.

4. ib2010

ib2010 Supporting Member

I've had a vetta 2 now for a couple of years, and for me its great. I like amps with a lot of overhead , so that clean variations don't always get over run by the gain'ers. I'm real happy with several gain "channels" i have developed. I find that i have 4 main sounds that i almost allways use, thus avoiding 128 channel scitzo. If you're real picky about how the tube sat/ speaker breakup add up, this may not be your rig. But, you should definitly give one a real solid try. beware most presets are horrible, really pull gain settings back on presets to get a better look at the possibilities. you've really got to stalk the right overdrive sounds, and keep in mind that some are wonderfully sensitive to volume knob levels.

5. Miles

Miles Member

Major Vetta II fan here. Like the poster before me said, you gotta take the time.

I would say, that while the Vetta doesn't sound like an overdriven Bogner or a Fawn AC30, you can get AMAZING clean tones, AND, i would say the dirty tones are more a hybrid between your favorite pedals and a tube amp, rather than actually feeling like a tube amp.

Being a pedal junky, I found the Vetta II to be heaven since I was able to get the same saturated smoothness of a great RAT tone, with the fat bottom and response of something more like a modern marshall or boogie...weird. Often, overdriven tube amps sound buzzy to me, and I like a real smooth, yet upper mid-range heavy sound, often found in old rats and muff pedals. BUT, I hate how the low mids and low end just drop out on pedals. The vetta has that bottom end, but has the smoothness of a great distortion. I sound huge in the mix at every gig and recording session.

At the same time, I could dial in my favorite cleans super shimmery and expressive without compromising a clean tone to make a pedal sound better. This is why digital works for me.

6. papersoul

papersoul Member

I'd be curious how many of you are also tube amp users? I have a tube head but am thinking for smaller gigs, a vetta may be the way to go. I always loved my Vetta when I had one years ago! So easy to use and set up. I just feel 50-100 watt tube heads can be overkill at small clubs.

Anyone know if the Vetta sounds better than the original Line 6 Flextone head? I heard that being made in California with all the R&D of their first amp, it is supposed to be maybe the best of the bunch.

7. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Get a SV1 as it will be worth nothing now that SV2 has come out .Don't expect too much but it will be good for the money.

8. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

I don't think the SV2 is out yet, the Spider IV (solidstate) was the one just released.

9. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

But the stores are desperate to get rid of the SV1 as it is going to be worth nothing when SV2 hits,even less S/H. Nothing holds its value worse than last years Line 6 stuff ,use it to your advantage .

10. onsiter12a

onsiter12a Member

This, and you will feel very limited with the Spider series as far as effects go. With Vetta it is pretty amazing what you can do with the effects. With the Vetta don't just go to the original amp model that a specific artist is known to use, use your ear to get the tone and try all the amp models the Vetta has.

11. papersoul

papersoul Member

I still hear the original Flextone amps were the best sounding. anyone compare to the Vetta or later Flextones?

12. heretic

heretic Member

I just sold my Vetta II combo, which was my workhorse for the past 5 years - this was after I was lucky enough to have some face time with the new Spider IV; the amp models sound better and feel more dynamic on SPIV.

I would say, if having a lot of effects and routing options isn't of prime importance to you, wait for the SpiderValve mkII. That amp is gonna own. IMO.

13. gtr37

gtr37 Member

Wow Heretic ,that is quite the statement that a new spider sounds better than a Vetta.

I am waiting for the spidervalve 2,hopefully we will see it soon ..

14. heretic

heretic Member

Well, just to be thorough (because I just loved my Vetta and it was hard for me to let it go), I want to add that the Spider IV amp models sound and feel better to me-however, the Vetta has a special power amp design coupled with a switching power supply, which makes this amp seem to come alive as you turn it up, much like a tube amp...

so I'd say, at loud gig volumes, Vetta might still crush a Spider IV. A Spidervalve II...not so much.

On the other hand, the pitch shifter/whammy effects on Spider IV, compared to the Vetta...it's not even a contest; tracking on the SPIV is amazing, and the FX tone is a lot less metallic sounding.;)

15. papersoul

papersoul Member

Sounds like the A Spidervalve II is the way to go.

16. papersoul

papersoul Member

Does the Spider IV have tubes?

SpiderValve mkII? How much $?

17. gtr37

gtr37 Member

spider valve 2 is not out yet ..

the Msrp I have seen leaked on the head was $999 .So probably between 750-900 street at a guess

18. ib2010

ib2010 Supporting Member

Vetta 3 will be a MONSTER, but who knows when it will hatch. I'm still way coolin with the 2.

19. niersbach

niersbach Member