Anyone experienced with the Maxon Fuzz Elements Void?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by KnowTalent, Mar 18, 2015.

1. KnowTalent

KnowTalent Just SAY NO to "Creamy" Distortion

Wondering how it stacks into dirt & is it finicky about being first in pedal chain?

2. KnowTalent

3. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

great into a dirty amp!
    sorry, i don't stack dirt pedals.
    i haven't tried it anywhere other than 1st in chain, but will do so & post later.

4. KnowTalent

I currently run Strat > UniVibe > MF Drive > MF Ring > emulated tape delay > AMP

I have tried a few Octave Fuzzes out front and none of them had anyway to control the mix so this usually forces me to add some form of downstream EQ to the tame harsh highs. The new EQD Fuzzmaster General is interesting but the audio I've heard so far seems to suggest chords quickly turn to mush?

I'm hoping the harmonics and blend on the Void can be adjusted so that I can add enough effect to burnish the tone, without much sacrifice of chord definition...intentional measured dissonance is my goal.

I'm talking with Moog to find out if the exp out on the MF Ring can be rewired to control MIX instead of FREQ.
    This way I can set my freq and use the exp pedal to swell from subtle burnished to dalek madness...an all points in between

5. splatt

.....Cameron?

*-)

ok, so.....
    i tried it following one of my super input-sensitive fuzz-boxes, my new catalinbread antichthon:
    AOK for me, w/fuzzbox both "on" and "off".

and, while i don't use them very often, i do have a few dirt-boxes, here;
    i tried stacking into each of these ones:
    AOK: lovepedal eternity
    AOK: skreddy screwdriver
    AOK: a.n. big bloom
    AOK: klon ktr

i played as if i were normal.
    i played one guitar, one amp, with one fixed set-up of the amp.
    i used the same cables & power supplies throughout.

one man's test.

6. splatt

oh! now i see your chain.....
    i'll do a little clip:
    gtr>maxon>univibe>dirt>amp.

i don't care for the vibe into an octave/ring-mod-fuzz, myself, so.

7. KnowTalent

When I run the vibe its usually sans octave/ring as well But I have the new LovePedal vibronaut on layaway as it is capable of pushing the MF Ring to where I get very pronounced trem at lower FREQ settings...much as what you get with the "big MF" 102...also, with the MF Drive living between the two, additional madness was to be found during my 2 hour demo session. Some very cool synergies I'm finding and all with just four pedals into a Peavey Bandit.

I'd sure appreciate if you did a short example as you mentioned because I cannot find any Void's locally to demo. It would be most helpful to hear how prominent the effect is at 9:00 vs 3:00 blend settings.

Regards
    Eric

8. splatt

eric, i did the little demo when i could..... which happened to be before you responded w/the more specific request: ha!
    sorry.

so:
    i put the void before the vibe pedal, followed by a Demeter Fuzzulator (which i used as a rotund OD).

i didn't plan anything; i just played some stuff.

the clip starts with the maxon off; then i play it with the balance @ about 27% wet; then i play it at about 55% wet;
    i had the "harmonics"-control set at about 60%.

here was the chain:
    ronin gtr > maxon void > bearfoot mini-green mini-vibe > demeter fuzzulator (used as overdrive) >
    > fryette d120 amp > fryette power-station w/catalinbread echorec & neunaber slate reverb in loop > 2x12 cab >
    > iPhone > quick-mix in Logic

MaxonVoid signalchain test for someone:

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/jayapala/maxonvoid-signalchain-test-for-someone[/SOUNDCLOUD]

KnowTalent likes this.
  9. KnowTalent

David,

Thank you for taking the time to lay down the sonics...your playing is sublime!
    This definitely gives me enough that I feel confident ordering one for an in-home demo period.

Any chance on you getting with Steve Tibbetts & Tony Levin anytime in the near future? You can drag along that Bruford character if you must! ;)

Regards,
    Eric

10. splatt

no probs, eric.

and, ha!
    i'll see both tony and steve, soon.... but, bill has truly retired from music, altogether.

fwiw:
    tibbetts, leo kottke and i are considering a trio recording, though.....
    ¿wtf?

Squatch57 likes this.
  11. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

That could be wonderful. All on my all-time fave list. I'll even listen to Leo's singing, if I have to. :) (actually, while I prefer the instrumental stuff, I like his singing, too)

12. KnowTalent

I have the Prairie Home Companion excerpt of Leo Kottke & Chet Atkins playing "Sleep Walk" together. Blissful!!!

13. KnowTalent

Thanks Again David! I've got to get back into the ECM library as the last recording I purchased of Steve's was "A Man About a Horse"... Which is brilliant!!!

I've got the double live upper extremities "blue nights" and keep it on my phone & laptop so its with me wherever I go
    You guys really made some magic with that project.
    Cobalt Canyons still my fave!

14. friend33

friend33 Silver Supporting Member

There is some cool, fun, creative stuff on the album he did with Mike Gordon, Sixty Six Steps. I'd love to hear him mix it up with David!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015