Anyone explain magnet flipping to me?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by swood2000, Dec 24, 2009.

1. swood2000

swood2000 Member

I just read in the forum something about having to flip one magnet if you use two Duncan pickups or something like that?

Anyone explain that to me?

I have a PRS Custom 24 with one PRS pickup in the neck position and one Duncan pickup in the bridge position. It doesn't sound right and it lacks punch when I go to solo and hit the strings hard. I thought maybe this magnet flipping thing is the problem.

Anyone stear me in the right direction here?

Thanks!

2. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

It's tough to say without knowing exactly which pickups you're using and exactly how it's wired, and I don't know what you mean when you say "go to solo" - which switch position is that, and which pickups are supposed to be in play?

The symptoms describe two similar pickups in play at the same time that are out of phase with each other. If that's the case, simply swapping leads on one or the other would fix it. Ideally, you want your finish winding lead grounded if you can help it.

That guitar uses two traditional humbuckers, so messing with the magnets is only going to bring you grief - it'll never fix anything. Each pickup already has reversed polarity magnetics going on, either by magnetic pole pieces or by ganged poles on a common magnet.

3. GASattack

GASattack Member

If you are in a pickup configuration where both pickups are on, when it 'lacks punch and go to solo', but it sounds ok when you use both pickups individually, then it sounds more like a phase issue to me. Seymour Duncan uses the Black wire for its hot wire (going to switch) and the colored wire going to ground is Green ... just reverse these two wires and IF it is in fact out of phase with the stock PRS pickup, this will resolve it and get your punchiness back.

But I agree, it is hard to put a finger on it without having more more information, as KGWagner said.

Hope this helps

Kevin