Anyone familar with the Reeves Studio / Stage amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dr. Tweedbucket, May 20, 2012.

1. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    :confused:

I've never heard of them and can't seem to find any info on them. Schematics would be good to look over.

So are these true Hiwatt amps that were imported and rebadged by Reeves?

Was this some vintage Hiwatt circuit reissued or just it's own thing? What years were they built and what is a good price on a used head in good working condition?

Thanks for any info :)

2. FFTT

FFTT Member

Best man to ask on that is Bill at Reeves.

3. fescue

fescue Member

Reeves has a website. I’d be shocked if you couldn’t find it. Also, Destroy All Guitars is a Reeves dealer. Search and ye shall find. Reeves are all made in the fine city of Cincinnati with good ol’ hand wiring. Hiwatt inspired for sure, definitely British. As far as any Reeves badged specifically as “studio” or “stage”, you got me on that one.

4. DRS

DRS Member

Why is Mt Kwakkleberry's most favourite citizen re-posting his own thread from 8 years ago?

OK, I'll play.

Reeves are not re-badged Hiwatts but amps made in the USA. Bill got permission from the Reeves family to use the name and pays a royalty. The amps are based on Hiwatt designs but some models diverge with great options. They are built the same as the Hiwatts with hand wired turret boards and big transformers. I had a Custom 12 combo which was a touch sensitive amp that was a cross between a plexi and a Hiwatt. I sold it because I moved into a small apartment and already had a MkV25 - I choice I regret.

There are a ton of threads on this forum covering all the models from the C6 to the big Custom Jimmy. Lots of killer demo vids to. Search is your friend.

But why am I telling you this?

5. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    You're telling it to Red Lizard who bumped my thread ... not me :red who started the thread.
    I can't help it if he's my crappy neighbor with all the cars parked in his front yard and knows nothing about amps :waiting

Carry on :knitting

6. Teh RedWizard

Teh RedWizard Supporting Member

OK...I'll play as well, and correct you on this. The Studio/Stage amp IS in fact a re-badged Hiwatt, period. All you need to do is look at the 'Made in The Custom Workshops England' etched into the front control panel to see this. Yes, you are correct that at some point around 2003-2005???, Reeves ceased importing UK made Hiwatts, and began designing, and building their own amplifiers. But that particular model is a HIWATT, through & through!!:bounce

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 5:12 AM
  7. DRS

DRS Member

Ah, I did not know that the earliest Reeves were re-badged. I assumed the OP was speaking of Reeves amps current to the post. I bought mine in 2005.
    And where exactly is Mt. Kwakkleberry?