Anyone familiar with Chandler Guitars?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by fretfreak76, Sep 20, 2008.

1. fretfreak76

fretfreak76 Member

I have a beatiful mid 80s'cream colored Tele made by Chandler that seems to be pretty good in quality and great playability.Any opinions on these guitars out there?Just curious, I can't stop playin' this thing since i got it!:band

2. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

I had one a 52 style Tele.Very nicely made fiddle mine was just a bit of an anchor so i traded it dumb dumb dumb.......

3. ROKY

ROKY Member

Chandler made/makes great guitars !

I always wanted one of those 555 models that was ric shaped with
    the slotted headstock and 3 minihumbuckers

[​IMG]

4. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

Where were these made-USA?

5. fenderpro

fenderpro Member

chandler guitars were usually japanese parts but assembled in ca. for several years they were based in San Francisco, then Burlingame. Paul C. and his wife are now based in Chico, Ca. i've got one of the guitars he called The Avenger. sort of a mosrite shaped body which originally had 3 humbucking single coil pickups. i have had many different pickup combos in it. nowadays it has a tom anderson humbucker in the bridge, a strat pickup in the middle and a duncan minihum in the neck position. i also replaced the neck with a warmouth . not a bad little guitar, especially now.

6. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Member

I don't think any of the bodies or necks were made in Japan. I saw the factories at SF and Burlingame and knew Paul to some extent. I haven't seen him since he moved to Chico. I've got a lot of Chandler bodies and am always on the prowl for more! I like his bodies better than warmoth - the strats have the deep contours. The necks are nice, but can be thin - I'm not just talking about the wide/thin Kramer style necks either.

A couple years ago I picked up a Chandler tele, an 83 it looks like, for $400 locally, basically it's a black guard style. A bit heavy, but sounds great.

Chandler also did a lot of custom prototyping for larger manufacturers. They had a lot of 80's style offerings during the hair metal days, which perhaps gives an unfavorable image in people's heads. So bargains are out there. $400 for a well made tele with 25 years of age on it is ok with me.:BEER

7. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

I was a Chandler dealer back in the late 80's and really liked their bodies but didn't like the necks much. Most of them were too U shaped for me.

Jeff

8. fenderpro

fenderpro Member

not wanting to be putting out disinformation on here, i checked with a friend of mine who was a sales mgr at chandler. he confirmed to me that my Avenger was made of parts from Japan, but said that later guitars such as the Rickenbacker style instruments pictured above were in fact made of US parts.

9. megatonic

megatonic Member

Here are my two Chandlers, USA Made. I love 'em!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. andrabian

andrabian Member

Hi all. I own a Chandler Austin Special, designed by former guitar tech and luthier of keith Richards, Ted Newman-Jones.
    Jones made 5 string guitars for Richards in the mid-seventies, which never went to mass production. The layout of such guitars are included in some Rolling Stones bios, e.g. "The First twenty years" by David Dalton, complete with an interview with Newman-Jones. As far as I know, they never went to mass production, but this model, made by charvel in 1992 is very much resembles those "Keith" guitars, and in fact the headstock reads "designed by Ted-Newman Jones". Altough the keith-guitar was natural, featuring a body through neck, Chandler marketed this model solely in black and white color, and a bolt on neck. Anyway, they also had a 5-string model- the only mass produced 5 string guitar, as far as I know-which confirmed the Keith-connection.
    As a teenager I also learned to play 5 string guitar, which turned my attention to Chandler ads in Guitar World back in 92, however, mine is a standard 6 string version. The body and headstock shape is basically the same as printed in the stones books, but Chandler's features two lipstick style pickups, with a humbucker at the bridge, black gloss finish and pearl binding. This model is surely inspired by Keith, but there is no evidence he ever played or seen a copy. Anyway, its a very unique, and beautyful guitar, with a very nic sound. It is tru that the nect profile is an U, that might be unpleasant if you got used to narrow necks. My main guitar is an american standard tele from 1990, with an U shape profile also, hence I got used to the feel. Not only I have big hands, but thicker necks are in fact more confortable, when you tend to play barre chords - your palm will need a solid support to let your fingers do their job. Also, I found that neck profile and material have a significant effect on sound. This is a very lightweight body, a lot lighter than the telecaster. I found somewhere that its alder, but the nature of some cracks, that are very similar to my japanese strat suggest that it is mode likely to be basswood or poplar. My us tele also have some scratches, wear, and removed finish, but they NEVER dug a hole in the wood. Despito of this, it is a very good sounding guitar with thick sound, I presume, supported b the neck material. It is a grand guitar, and very rare.

11. Shark21

Shark21 Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

My Chandler Telepathic is a one of a kind guitar. It was featured in Guitar Player Magazine. The guitar is a hollow korina body with a killer quilted maple top. The neck pickup is stock Chandler and the bridge is a hand-wound pickup from Symour Duncan that is stock to this guitar. They never went into production. It is identifiable as the magazine guitar due to the small flakes of candy apple red in the finish on the back. It sounds amazing and the neck is very comfortable. Just thought I'd share.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TB72 likes this.
  12. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

The Austin Special and Austin Special Baritone are very cool-Ted Newman-Jones designed body like Keith's. I would love to find one of them.

13. andygio

andygio Member

I've had numerous Chandlers - a few Strat partscasters guitars years ago, and more recently I owned 4 Chandlers at the same time - a Surf Green Metro Baritone (sold it), Blue Supersparkle Metro (sold it), an Avenger in black with 3 lipstick single coils (sold it), a Telepathic finished in trans "SG Red" (have it, currently disassembled). All of them had a cool vibe. I personally love the peghead shape. Necks were all different with regard to thickness, feel, etc. Great guitars at a great value used... if you can find them!

I am going to get the Telepathic going again when I have the time. I tried to sell the body, but no one bit.

14. Strat

Strat Member

I am always looking for Sea Foam Green Chandlers -lemme know.

15. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Paul and Adrian made/make some cool stuff.
    We used ot use their parts to assemble partscasters for customers a lot.

16. andygio

andygio Member

Here a pics of my former Chandlers...

The Avenger
    [​IMG]

Metro Baritone
    [​IMG]

Metro
    [​IMG]

17. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

I had a gold sparkle Metro just like that one Andy. It was a NAMM 2000 showpiece that I picked up from Chandler directly in the summer of 2000. Nice guitar-birdseye neck, Wilkinson trem. I wanted one since Joe Perry had a blue sparkle Metro like yours.

18. andygio

andygio Member

After I sold the Metro I found out that it was custom made for the guitar player in Tina Turner's band. That fact still would not have made me keep it though. It was a cool guitar for sure, but I'm not a flashy guy!
    I also had a gold sparkle Metro body that I acquired on ebay from Michael Charvel (Wayne's son). It was routed for a P-90 in the bridge position - slapped a pair of Dimarzio noiseless P-90's in it. Had that assembled with a Warmoth neck for a few years before parting it out on ebay.

19. megatonic

megatonic Member