Anyone familiar with Peavey's Media Matrix software?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by dewey decibel, Feb 23, 2012.

1. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    Might step into a situation where they use this, it's Media Matrix 2.1, dates are from the '90s. It's basically a mixer program but it's laid out really poorly and doesn't seem to work right, I haven't seen the hardware interface yet, I'd really like to skip the software and just have it all hardware. Google isn't helping much. I can get more info but to be honest I don't know what to look for. Thanks...

2. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

What do you need to know about it?. I did quite a lot of work with that stuff back around the turn of the century(2002-2003 I think). I don't remember what version numbers are what, though.

What hardware is your system using?

Do you have access to programming mode(might be called edit mode)? The thing about that stuff is that the gui was completely customizable, so if the designer didn't want the user to have control over something, they just didn't put it on the user screen.

Also, if the programmer did a bad job designing the signal flow and the gui, there isn't much the end user can do without programming access.

3. dewey decibel

Thanks for the response. I've used the mixer screen before (it's just faders and options for input selection) but here's a pic of the patching:

[​IMG]

I don't know if you can edit from this screen (clicking and dragging?) or not. "Edit" from the menu doesn't give you any options. In the rack there is a Peavey preamp, a couple Media Matrix interfaces, a Crestron Cresnet IIMS, and some Crown power amps. The screenshot has a box labeled "peak" but I didn't see any kind of limiter in the rack.

Here's a breakdown of what I'd like to do;

-Get the volume levels consistent song to song
    -Get the volume levels consistent everywhere around the room
    -Get rid of the sudden drastic changes in volume
    -Be able to easily control where the overall volume is set
    -Have easy control over switching which source goes to which output

So some of this is software related and some hardware. As you can see there are "ambient sensors" in line, the idea is when the ambient volume goes up the music level rises to meet it, but I can tell you this never works right and I'd prefer to have a person control it. Let's say normal volume is 3 on the fader. It gets busy and you set it to 5. That sort of thing.

As far as consistent sound around the room it could be an issue with a couple of the speakers not working so well.

Song to song, right now they use either satellite radio or Pandora from the computer. Either way we need to assume we can't control the source material so I guess we need to have a compressor dialed in pretty well.

Part of the problem is no single person is doing this, it's done by committee (which is to say it really doesn't get done), so it would be my proposal to take it over. So I can probably have the guys that service the system over (or bring in my own guy) but I want to know what I'm talking about before that happens.

This is a place that is in desperate need of some better atmosphere, so along with changing the actual music being played I want to make sure it can be implemented correctly.

4. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

As long as you have access to edit mode, you should be able to work from that screen.

There are 4 modes one can work in in Mediamatrix(at least the old stuff):

1. User: this is what you are in when you are actully running sound with the system.

2. Edit: this is what you use when you are making changes to the program, though there is one thing you can't do in edit mode which brings us to

3. Wire: you need to be in this mode to connect inputs to outputs

4. Paint: this lets you change the colors of things

I believe you can change modes either from a drop down or by right clicking on the screen anywhere except on a device.

You mentioned wanting to get rid of the Gap Ambient Level Sensors. You can simply delete them(click on them in edit mode then right click and select delete, delete button may also work) and wire what was feeding their input to whatever their output fed.

As for controlling overall volume, you could drop in a level control with multiple ins and outs before the outputs and use that as a master.

You can also drop in compressors any where in the signal chain that you need them.

As for switching sources to outputs, the Routing and Sub Preset block has a router in it that should allow you to do this.

Once you do get the system signal flow laid out the way you want, you need to save and compile, or no changes will be made.

If you intend to use the Sub Presets(a confusing term, there are no plainly named Presets in your version of MM), you would need to set up the system for each one, and then find the Sub Preset block and save the Sub Presets.

Some of this sounds more confusing than it is. Once you dig in, it gets easy.

The one thing that may screw all of this up is the Crestron piece. Based on the fact that the Crestron processor is there and the fact that the MM doesn't show any kind of gui, I am assuming you are using Crestron touchscreens to control the system. If it is just selecting Sub Presets, no big deal, but if there are faders in Crestron that are moving faders in MM, you may have unpredictable results, depending on what you are deleting or adding to the signal flow.

I am also going to PM you a person at Peavey who may be able to help, or at least send you the programming manual. Mediamatrix is one thing that Peavey actually took very seriously from a support standpoint, at least when I was dealing with it. Then again, one of my systems was a huge facility with hundreds of inputs and ouptuts(meaning we had purchased a sh*t ton of Peavey hardware).

Basically, you can do just about anything you want with this system. You can even scorch the earth, deleting everything between the input and output blocks and start from scratch. The only limit is the amount of DSP available(and what your Crestron is doing). Based on what I see on your screen, you won't run out of DSP, seeing that you may actually want something a little simpler.

You can always go back if you screw up, by compiling the current existing file. In fact, you should save as something else before you start working.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  5. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

I tried to PM you, but your inbox is full.

6. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

All those "Peak" boxes are is an indicator. If you opened one up , you would see a little led symbol that lights up upon clipping(I think). The led can be copied out to a gui screen. Also, I think each one of these has a number associated with it that can be viewed once it's block is opened up(maybe a properties drop down?) that can be used in more advanced programming.

It is possible these are being used to trigger something on the Crestron side.

7. dewey decibel

Thanks for the great response! I only have time to skim through it right now but it looks exactly like what I need. Also I made some room in my inbox. Thanks again!