Anyone familiar with the older MIJ Strats with System 1 Trems?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by dmc777, Dec 19, 2009.

1. dmc777

dmc777 Member

I have one and can't get the action right for nothing! I know there isn't individual string height adjustment screws. I've checked the neck relief and it's right but once I get to about the 12th fret the strings complete choke out. Their almost touch the fret just free floating. Anyone have any suggestions? How high should the System 1 float?

2. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Check your neck angle. If there is a shim at the base of the pocket, remove it or even better try it at the far end. The trem should float more or less parallel to the top of the guitar.

3. Soapbarstrat

Soapbarstrat Senior Member

Most, if not all, of those have a micro-tilt in the neck pocket. Maybe yours is cranked up too high. Or, maybe a "rising tongue" on the board.
    They usually need a tilted neck, much like a non-recessed floyd trem guitar.
    I have a full sized tapered shim in the pocket on mine. Action on mine is 1/32" high E, 3/64" low E @12th fret. The trem base just needs to be high enough that the trem can operate without the base hitting the body (especially around where the stud fulcrum points are). I have my trem set in non-operational mode. The base under the fine tuners is resting on the body and then where the steel inserts are at the fulcrum points, there's about a 1/32" gap between trem base bottom and wood surface of the guitar body.

4. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Ther is no real parallel on this trem as the underside as well as the top is sloped ,you need to visualise a right angle from the block to the strings.

5. dmc777

dmc777 Member

I should've mentioned this is an mij squier strat. So, no micro tilt on mine.

6. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Wouldn't dream of using it anyway.

7. dmc777

dmc777 Member

Huh?

8. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Always remove the micro tilt and any shims.

9. dmc777

dmc777 Member

I really can't get this damn thing working right. I've tried checking the truss rod, different bridge heights, etc... but the strings just choke around the 7th fret up. I checked the neck and neck pocket and everything looked straight and clean to me. Any suggestions?

10. dmc777

dmc777 Member

I believe my truss rod may be broken on this neck. I'll have to check again tomorrow. Just a pain cause it's got the 50's style with the adjustment at the heel. Anyone know how much a truss rod replacement or fix would be?