Anyone Familiar with www.vintagereplica.com?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by 59burst, Mar 8, 2006.

1. 59burst

59burst Gold Supporting Member

Hi -

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with www.vintagereplica.com. I have an instrument on order with Manuel Echegaray, but I haven't received a response to e-mail for the last week or so, or to voice mail in the last couple days. Communications up to this point have been great, so I hope everything is OK on his end ...

Does anyone on this board have any contact/connection here?

Thanks!

2. Douglas Baines

Douglas Baines Member

I'm digging this one.

Never heard of them though... to answer your question.

3. martyncrew

martyncrew Gold Supporting Member

4. 59burst

Yes, he finally got back to me and it sounded like he was on a business trip of some sorts. So, everything seems to be on track.

I ordered my take on the Mike Bloomfield/Robben Ford Tele - lightweight alder body, white blond translucent finish, thin nitro, no aging, beefy C shaped flame maple neck, dark slab brazilian board, 9.5" radius, 6105 frets, vintage spec otherwise. Pickups to be determined by the builder once the guitar starts taking shape.

I'm really excited about this piece!

5. George H

George H Member

I have this one Manny put together. It's a great replica of a nice, well
    played 65.

GH:)

[​IMG]

6. 59burst

Sweeet!!!:RoCkIn

7. Rollie

Rollie Guest

I have played one of his guitars and must warn you that although the relicing was quite convincing, being able to relic a guitar does not make one a luthier. To be blunt: anyone can bolt together a bunch of parts, but it takes some skill to level and dress frets and set up the bridge and nut correctly. In my opinion, he does not have that skill.

He had a website where he was just going to sell aged parts and in the "about us" section he explained that he learned to relic parts by reading about it on the internet a few years ago. He has since taken the site down, but you can find it on an archiving site:
    http://web.archive.org/web/20050221212432/www.howtorelic.com/about_us.htm

That being said, I wouldn't despair if you are getting a guitar from him. It will probably look really nice and will need someone to dress the frets and set it up.

8. martyncrew

Rollie - your experience may have been bad but the finish, electronics work and setup that Manny did on my Esquire were first rate. My 2 cents...

9. 59burst

Rollie - thanks for the info. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. (And I'll post a review when I get the guitar.) My guitar is not going to be aged in any way. He has a 100% money back guarantee, so hopefully I'm covered if there is any problem.

Martyn - you site has a pic of you gigging at a holiday party. I'm just up the road in San Francisco. Shoot me an e-mail if you play out anywhere! Sweet looking Esquire!

10. George H

George H Member

Rollie,
    I'm sorry but the Dakota Red 65 replica pictured above was set up
    nicely & plays great. I can only assume Manny set it up as it came directly
    from him.
    ymmv.

11. Rollie

Rollie Guest

First off, I'm a complete pr1ck. I amazingly fussy, but anyone can tell the difference between Detemple's fretwork and a korean made squire's.

Many Squires are "playable" and so was Manny's. But not $2400 playable. The frets from 12 down rubbed and the neck had too much relief and the nut wasn't cut deep enough. As an aside, the nut was a spanky new white one with a yellow paint marker wiped across it for "aging."

That being said, I understand that Manny is 28 years old and has only been doing this for a few years. He may have gotten much better in the past two years.

Here is a fact: anyone can slap together a telecaster with the "best parts." Anyone. Your wife could do it if you showed her.

The difference between a $2400 telecaster and something that is slapped together is fretwork, nut and bridge.

Fretwork.

Fretwork.

Fretwork.

I never hear anyone talk about fretwork on this forum. It is a skill. I can't wait to get a guitar plek'd. I think I'm going to wet myself.

Like I said, I know I'm a complete pr1ck. All the same, Manny did not do any fretwork on this guitar. And yes it was playable, but I could have bought a relic off the shelf at guitar center that was set up just as badly for $1000 less. A fixable problem, but not in the same class as a Nash.

12. George H

George H Member

Fair enough. The finest fretwork I've seen is for Tom Anderson.

13. Rollie

Rollie Guest

I have played an Anderson, and it did have fine fretwork. It was a strat and it was really nice guitar. Anderson is a luthier. Suhr is a luthier. The guys at many shops are luthiers.

Manny is basically an artist who makes guitars that look like old guitars. And that is a good thing that has some value; to me, it doesn't have the same value as a guitar that plays well. The good news is that in most cases, with some limitations, you can make most guitars play pretty well if dressed and set up properly.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not saying that guys who are artists can't also be luthiers. I've played Nash guitars and they are pretty good. I've never played a Vinetto but a good friend whose opinion is reliable used to own one and regrets selling it to this day.

14. PaulM

PaulM Member

Looks like Manny's shop is shutting down. 59burst did you ever get your guitar?

15. Rocktrans formed

Rocktrans formed Member

His relicing isn't that great, but I would certainly say that it's better than Nash. Especially the necks. I would be wary of buying anything from this guy if the fretwork and nut aren't top-notch. But it seems like a moot point now that the Fender legal team has shut him down. It really isn't too smart to have the Fender logo and headstock visible in your pictures.

16. martyncrew

Really? I have one of his bodies ('50s Coppercaster Tele body) and it is a great piece of work. Better than any CS Relic I've seen (and, yes, I own a CS Relic Esquire) and much better than most of the Nashs I've seen.

If F*nder is shutting him down that's a shame, Manny is talented and deserves to work. On the other hand, whatever the rights and wrongs of F*nder's position on copyrights, it is clear what their position is and I agree that it's foolish to show F*nder logo repro guitars on a website.

17. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

If this guy is an "OK" relicer (Which I personally have no use for) and a mediocre guitar builder, what's the loss? :confused:

18. 59burst

Not yet. It has taken a while because at first we waited a long time to get a stupid light alder body, but when none arrived we switched to an ash body, and he got a nice light one. He also got a nice flame maple neck, of which he sent me pics in September.

The guitar was supposed to be completed around the week of October 20, but that date has come and gone and I haven't heard from him. No response to either e-mails or phone. :worried

19. Nickcha

Nickcha Member

'59Burst,

I too have a Strat in the oven at Manny's. I've been going stir-crazy waiting for mine. His communication is great when you can get it. But he's not good about keeping in touch.

I DID happen to get that ultra light Swamp Ash body from him...2.5lbs! I'm having Manny put me together a '56 replica Blonde Strat. Check out these specs:

USACG built me a gorgeous C neck (7.25 / 1.65 nut) 6105 wire
    Rolph '56 custom wound pups
    Alessandro 50's Strat cap and pots
    Callaham hdwr
    I located "Fender Pat. Pend'g" saddles in Europe and real nice slightly aged no line Klusons there as well.

I'm having him "lightly age" the guitar.

I figure this will be a good complement to my '62 Strat.

I spoke with Manny before Thanksgiving. He was on his way to Mexico City on biz. I haven't heard from him since. The lack of communication is frustrating.

20. landru64

landru64 Member

i am guessing you aren't as much of a prick as you say you are. having spent so much time in the last ten years with roger sadowsky--one of the world's foremost fretwork experts--i have to agree. i think this is what separates the men from the boys--the black belts from the white belts if you will--in terms of luthery craft. i've heard many stories of very famous guitar makers whose fretwork has had to be redone. the woodworking and inlay craft was fabulous, but the fret work and fingerboard truing (the real skill is in this) was for shite. and it's not something that you can just read a couple of books to do. it's also something that takes a kind of skill and care and patience that a lot of guys don't and won't have.