Anyone feel that PRRI > DRRI?

LoopyBullet

Silver Supporting Member
Or just Princeton > Deluxe Reverb in general?

I had a Deluxe Reverb RI as my main amp for about 2 years and couldn't get the sound REALLY ever dialed in. Tried every mod under the sun for my DRRI and ended up selling it. Kind of flat in the clean department, and never really sounded good broken up. I may be biased, because Princetons are my go-to amp...yeah. But, I do have an easier time dialing in usable sounds with Princetons. Thick and clean!

Anybody relate? Or anyone feel the opposite?

doc

Silver Supporting Member
I think it depends on your needs. With the DRRI having a LTP PI, its really trying to stay clean and be a big amp. I think it works best as a mostly clean pedal platform at moderate volumes. The Princeton will tend to add a little hair and be textured earlier and works better as an "ampstrument" at low to moderate volume. I'd probably rather have a DRRI if I'm playing clubs unmiked in order to have "enough amp". Which mods did you try on the DRRI? I have one and mulling over what I'd like to do to it.

Gnarlly

Only in the tremolo department, where the PRRI's bias modulation trem is much sweeter than the DRRI's tremolo.
Otherwise, my DRRI with bright cap clipped sounds just as sweet as the PRRI I owned for clean tones, sounds better when cranked into distortion (PRRI's phase inverter design results in a "ratty" type of distortion), and projects better with a band. With a neo speaker installed, it's also just as light as my old PRRI.

e???

I hear ya, Princetons have something that Deluxes don't. Especially with single coils.

Eldorado

Silver Supporting Member
I own both amps, FSR models with Jensen Alnico speakers, and IME the DRRI kills the PRRI tonewise. Maybe try a Jensen P12Q in the DRRI, it sure sounds sweet in mine.

swiveltung

It all depends on how and where you are using it. I've had a few of each. I settled on the DR every time. The PR gets too nasty for me. But recording or at home etc the PR is very nice.

67super

I currently have both PRs and DRs and use based on the gigging situation. I use pedals for drive and they have to be dialed in differently for the amp types. I like the amp volume to be set to just starting to break up and with the DR that volume gets you the "your to damn loud" comment in a lot of bars, that's were the PR come in nice. The tremelo on the PR is definitely sounds better using the bias varying technique.

Yes. While I love my DRRI, what I really want is a PRRI, or a Vintage Sound clone.

Tough to find someone to trade a DRRI for a PRRI around here.

Mouzik

Only in the tremolo department, where the PRRI's bias modulation trem is much sweeter than the DRRI's tremolo.
Otherwise, my DRRI with bright cap clipped sounds just as sweet as the PRRI I owned for clean tones, sounds better when cranked into distortion (PRRI's phase inverter design results in a "ratty" type of distortion), and projects better with a band. With a neo speaker installed, it's also just as light as my old PRRI.

What neo speaker?

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
I had a 72 Princeton Reverb, and I now own an Allen Accomplice (DR-based clone). I liked the Princeton on low/medium volumes. I didn't like it much when overdriven. I tried many mods and speakers but I just didn't like it much past 6 or 7 on the volume.

I'd take the Accomplice any day, haven't owned an actual Fender DR or DRRI. The Accomplice is flat out great at any volume level.

alamere

I have always vastly preferred the Princeton.. I know it's just personal preference.. but I could never get a deluxe to work for what I try to do.

DrSax

I just got a DRRI and am trying to dial it in. I can see that it really depends on where/how you are playing it that decides things. I think maybe I should have got a PRRI, the Deluxe might just be too loud for what I want.

I have heard about the bright cap clip, but haven't done it yet. I'm kind of afraid of being sorry, can anyone describe exactly what it does? If that's too much a derail just skip...

gtrplr71

I just got a DRRI and am trying to dial it in. I can see that it really depends on where/how you are playing it that decides things.

I have heard about the bright cap clip, but haven't done it yet. I'm kind of afraid of being sorry, can anyone describe exactly what it does? If that's too much a derail just skip...
smooth's the top end and makes the amp take pedals well.

I love DRRIs and they sound similar but Princetons definitely have a little something extra in them.

I've had 2 DRRIs, both the regular and the LTD edition and both were extremely picky about what effects I put through them, they have a tendency to make delays and modulation pedals sound really tinny.

MattC

I love my 65 DRRI, but John Bohlinger plays the hell out of a 68 Custom PR in this video:

And this guy sounds great on this creative cover:

Last edited:

67super

I have both the 65 RI and the 68 CPR and like them both. I did swap out speakers. The 68 was to bassy for my taste but that is easily remedied with a simple mod. I gig with them using one as a backup. I always mic my amps or it wouldn't keep up.

Northerner

Don't really like them much myself but would use either if I had to over many other amps out there.
60's blackface Princetons are a different story. Use them most of the time and prefer them over same era Deluxes.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom