Anyone find dreads *more* comfortable?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by fuzz_factor, Jan 23, 2020.

1. davess23

davess23 Member

I'm 5'9", average build. A dread isn't too uncomfortable for a short session, but if I'm playing for a long period of time my right arm starts to bother me. My Collings SJ's narrow waist eliminates that problem. And my 000 12-fret and OM also fit me better. That said, I like to flatpick a good D-18 whenever I get a chance.

2. dhd

dhd Member

Have you ever played an acoustic guitar with body contours and beveled edges ?
    IMHO, acoustic guitars with these ergonomic features are much more comfortable than like sized guitars without these features.
    Even while sitting, I find my jumbo acoustic size Emerald X30 much more comfortable to play
    than my dread size Seagull Maritime SWS and Seagull Coastline S12.
    My right arm eventually gets a little sore where it rests against the guitar body's edge with my Seagulls.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GGinMP likes this.
  3. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

I haven't actually play a dread for long periods of time and I've never owned one. My experience with dreads is just trying them out in stores. I can see this happening to me too. After reading this thread, I think my original preference for 00/000/OM is the right way for me to go!

I've casually tried one or two guitars with bevels. It'd be great if they were a standard feature on most guitars (Martins, etc). I'm sure tradition won't allow it! The classical guitar world seems more open to these innovations.

4. teletalkin

teletalkin Silver Supporting Member

Although an OM size is very comfortable, I don't find a dread uncomfortable. I just love the tone of a dreadnought so much more.

evening_crow likes this.
  5. Marty C

Marty C Member

Funny, I just purchased a Taylor for that very reason. My Martin Dread I love, but I find I was having issues with the position when sitting. My arms are short so the guitar is shifting more toward my fretting hand. This was causing my fretting arm to reach too far and put my wrist at a bad angle. I found my fretting hand would start tingling and get numb during the night, keeping me awake.

I switched to the Taylor which has a beveled top, actually rounded. This is much more comfortable to play and my wrist/hand numbness is improving. It would also help if I could reduce another problem that causes my guitar to shift... which is an expanding waist.

fuzz_factor and dhd like this.
  6. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

I play a lot of acoustic gigs standing using a Taylor 814ce....lower bout is the width and depth of a dread. About a year ago I switched to one of Taylor’s ‘entry level’ guitars, an Academy 10e which has a dread shape and width, but shallower depth....closer to an OM. It also has a bevel where the right forearm rests. Very comfortable to play and the guitar sounds great. Very happy!