• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Anyone find Orange Rocker/Rockerverb amps unreliable?

Young Angus

I've got a RV50 head and am looking at getting a Rocker30 combo for rehearsals and maybe some smaller gigs.

Are both these amps reliable or have people had problems with them?

I heard once that they used to have crap transformers but they ended up using a newer different one as of late.

somedude

The RV50s initially had problems with their transformers but it's been a few years since then.

They also tried to cheap out on tubes, so alot of their reliability reputation probably comes from people having to deal with tube failures and whatnot. Last I heard they were coming with either JJ or EHX.

I've owned 4 Oranges now (R30, RV50, AD30 and AD140) and the only issues I've had was crappy tubes, which was an easy fix. The AD30 and AD140 were used lots and pushed hard with no issues. The RV50 is more of a backup head and hasn't seen as much use, but no problems to date.

scmavl

Enjoyer
Gold Supporting Member
I had a Rocker 30 and it was rock solid. No problems.

FYI- I thought the Natural channel was rubbish and there aren't alot of good cleans on the Dirty channel.

indravayu

I've have now owned an RV50, R30, Tiny Terror and AD30 - never had a single issue with any of them.

coldfingaz

And you're basing this on...?

Serious question.

I think most of this old vs. new Orange argument is subjectively based on tone & construction as opposed to "reliability". I've owned a couple newer Oranges now (including a Rocker 30 that got lots of use) & never had any issues.

Aslan

Own a Rockerverb 50 and and it is built like a tank and has never failed me in two years of weekly gigging. Also own a Retro 50 and OR50, never a problem with either one. Orange amps are very reliable and the new ones are as good or better than the early 70's models.

spyeman

I have an Orange RV, not sure of the year, but I probably fire it up twice a day heh heh and haven't had any issues since I got it a year+ ago.

Mattbedrock

Gold Supporting Member
I have a Rocker 30 that sees quite a bit of use. Pushed pretty hard in a rock band situation. It's been perfectly reliable. Despite what others here say, I find both channels very usable. The clean channel is darker sounding than a Fender, but takes effects very well (both a GNX-3 or my analog pedal board) and the lead channel absolutely screams. The 30 watts class A is plenty for club gigs, though the band doesn't complain as much about it as my Bassman or 50 watt Marshalls.

Green Pro Am

Gold Supporting Member
I have a RV50 combo that sees lots of use. The only issue I had was with a bad tube and fuse. Otherwise its bee rock solid. It is built like a brick shithouse.

Young Angus

Oh well that doesn't sound like a bad wrap for the newer higher gain Orange amps.

...except the guy who said that the newer ones aren't as good as the older ones but it doesn't sound like that many people agree on that one!

somedude

Oh well that doesn't sound like a bad wrap for the newer higher gain Orange amps.

...except the guy who said that the newer ones aren't as good as the older ones but it doesn't sound like that many people agree on that one!
Modern Oranges don't sound like vintage Oranges. Totally different character and vibe. Whether it's better or not is debatable as both sound great, yet are vastly different in tone and feel.

Trending Topics