Anyone get a mini Katana?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rochell59, Mar 10, 2015.

1. rochell59

rochell59 Member

Anyone pick one of these up yet? I'm curious if there are any audible differences between the normal and mini versions.

2. Eldritch Tentacles

Eldritch Tentacles Member

Mini Katana?

They totally should have called it the Wakazashi.

ColonelForbin likes this.
  3. rochell59

rochell59 Member

I know, right?!

4. guille-tgp

guille-tgp Member

I'm interested in knowing about the mini Katana.

5. ColorBlindJames

ColorBlindJames Supporting Member

I have one - I got it a little over a week ago and I am using it to boost my Lollar-equipped Tele into a Fender Blues Deluxe reissue and I like it alot. I have never used the larger Katana, so I can't compare it to that, but I also have an Xotic EP Booster pedal on my board and I switch between the two. I like them both, but the Keeley is far "cleaner," in that it simply boosts my natural guitar tone without changing the sound, whereas the EP Booster thickens and darkens the tone a bit. I like both options so I switch between them, but I use the Keeley when I just want to make my normal tone louder.

The Keeley has some internal dip switches that shape the tone, including one that adds gain, but I have that turned off because it was adding too much gain for my needs.

I don't know how helpful my take is on it, but I like the Keeley Mini Katana and would recommend it.

Jessica and yawiney like this.
  6. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

i still love and use the katana all of the time
    i swap it in and out with the timmy for clean boosting
    most have the katana on the board for sheer simplicity
    can't even imagine a mini version of it
    lot of parts inside!

7. flantrax

flantrax Supporting Member

I have the mini and had the Katana version that's in the TMB...with the mini in it's "clean mode" and "no treble cut" mode(using the internal dip switches) it's the same as the original...

The Treble Cut option is great...shaves off just a hair of hi end...great when pushing an already dirty sound so it doesn't get too bright...I found the original seemed to add a touch of hi end in that application...

The Higher Gain option adds just a bit of grit...kind of like a Lovepedal COT(not as much gain but similar)...it's really cool for that "just breaking up" amp tone...I could see having 2 on my board...1 set up totally clean and transparent...the other set up dirty and slightly darker(using both dip switches)...

Another thing I like is the volume goes all the way to zero(no sound)...so you can kind of use it like a volume pedal(anywhere above or below unity gain)...I put mine last in my chain and stuck one of those rubber MXR knob covers on it so I could use my foot for adjustments...sometimes I leave it on all the time and ride that...works great live...

yawiney likes this.
  8. drod2045

drod2045 Member

correct me if im wrong, but the mini only does the "knob in" sound. I like the knob out, unfortunately for me.

Edit: +1 on flantrax's comment about the vol knob going to 0. I have mine at the end of the chain, so I use that as a 'master vol' for my amp when the wife is home, or if vol is an issue at a gig

9. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

The mini has dip switches instead of push/pull knob.

10. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

It does a lot actually:

"
    New for the Mini Katana – 4 MODES!
    The new Mini Katana is now a 4 Mode Booster! With the dual micro switches you have a total of four sounds possible. Need drive, just flip the micro Hi-Gain Switch inside and you’ve got overdriven tone! Flip the Hi-Cut Switch (NEW for the Katana Mini!) on the inside and you have a warmer tone to soften any Strat or Tele. Flip both switches and you have the ultimate sounding boost, thick, creamy, tube-amp sounding, and plenty of volume on tap!"

drod2045 likes this.
  11. drod2045

drod2045 Member

good to know! thanks

Blix likes this.
  12. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

Any more reviews on the Katana Mini? Considering one.

13. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

Got one last week and gigged it this weekend. I use it in clean mode and with the treble cut on. Great little boost!!! Nice and clean and the treble cut is a thing of beauty with my Strat. I can't believe these aren't more popular.

ColonelForbin likes this.
  14. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

With the treble cut off, is it flat/trasparent or is it a little bright? I'd have two separate setup uses for mine, one to push a tube amp a little for pushed/compressed cleans and two for a lead boost.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  15. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Member

The new treble cut dip switch is interesting but I never found the Katana to add brightness.

I heard from Keeley that the mini doesn't have the internal voltage doubler b/c they couldn't fit it in.

Would be interested in a head to head shootout of the mini and regular Katana in the same mode just to see if the voltage doubling makes a difference? Also, can you run the mini at 18v?

16. SirGilmour

I don't think it adds treble in standard mode really. It seems pretty flat but the treble cut is also pretty subtle too. It just takes a little edge off when pushing an amp. Especially with single coils.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  17. SirGilmour

Really? They make it sound like its exactly the same on their website. See below:

Clean and super powerful
    MINI KATANA CLEAN BOOST! Keeley’s oldest design made smaller and with an additional feature. The Katana started back in 2002 within the Time Machine Boost. It was a dual class A JFET design that gave players and incredible boost and sounded so good they never turned off. In fact they often ran two or three on stages like John Mayer! The Mini Katana boost provides over 35dB of boost. Enough for the most demanding players and sound reinforcement.

New for the Mini Katana – 4 MODES!
    The new Mini Katana is now a 4 Mode Booster! With the dual micro switches you have a total of four sounds possible. Need drive, just flip the micro Hi-Gain Switch inside and you’ve got overdriven tone! Flip the Hi-Cut Switch (NEW for the Katana Mini!) on the inside and you have a warmer tone to soften any Strat or Tele. Flip both switches and you have the ultimate sounding boost, thick, creamy, tube-amp sounding, and plenty of volume on tap!

Obsessed with cleanest, most enjoyable tone boosted? Well, Before other people started using Blue LED’s and non-diode clipping stages, there was the TMB and Katana…. Cascading FET stages do the tube-amp-thing like nothing else!

Now made smaller, it will fit any board and any budget. Enjoy the pedal that redefined clean boost in the boutique era

monkmiles likes this.
  18. crxshdxmmy

crxshdxmmy Supporting Member

I didn't realize it had so many options. Might have to give one a try.

19. StratStringSlinger

Yup, no voltage doubling as I was told over the phone by Keeley. He said it sounds the same in his opinion. I'm guessing headroom is where it might matter, but I'm not sure. Would like to know more about the difference higher voltage makes.

20. StratStringSlinger

We didn't talk about that/I don' know. Would be interesting to know if the mini could though.