anyone get their guitars insured?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by turtlesoup, Jan 7, 2008.

1. turtlesoup

turtlesoup Member

My guitars and amps are the only thing of any value that i own. About $9000 not including pedals, ($4000 of which leave the house quite frequently). i was thinking of getting renter's insurance. do any of you have advice about this? horror stories? success stories?

2. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

My buddy, Lance (ACfixer) uses Heritage, and is happy with them:

Heritage Insurance Services

I think there have been some threads about Heritage here in the past, and they've been highly recommended. Their coverage looks better than regular renter's or home owner's insurance.

3. johnmfer

johnmfer Supporting Member

Yes. Not everything, just the most valuable stuff. It all gigs regularly and gets left in the van overnight sometimes when playing out of town, so insurance makes me feel much more secure about that. Although it would REALLY suck to lose anything.

4. go7

go7 Member

Get the insurance. Have heard many horror stories. My house insurance policy includes guitars and amps up to $20,000. The model and serial # `s of guit`s and amps are in my safety deposit box. Good Luck!

leftygeetar likes this.
  5. JStizz

JStizz Member

i am a member of the ASCAP performance rights organization (free to join) as an artist and they offer gear insurance. i dont know anything about the rates they offer, but the service is specialized for an artist's gear. you should check them out.

6. turtlesoup

turtlesoup Member

I'm with BMI. Wonder if they have something like that.

7. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Hell yes! You have to have your stuff insured. I use Heritage.

FYI I have a friend who had a rider on his homeowner's policy for his gear.
    He had a home robbery and the insurance company wouldn't cover his gear because it was used for income and the policy specifically excluded "commercial" equipment.

8. buckwild

buckwild Silver Supporting Member

I had State Farm renters insurance and then I had my agent extend a special line of insurance for my guitars and gear.

9. johnmfer

johnmfer Supporting Member

I'd fire that insurance company so fast, and write a dozen angry letters, and make sure everyone I know knew the name of that company and what they are really about. To pay for a rider specifically for the gear and then have the claim denied is like them taking your money and spitting in your face, then laughing about it.

10. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Actually he admits, and I agree, that it was his fault. You have to ask questions and read the fine print.

11. rhp52

rhp52 Supporting Member

most ins. companies won't pay if the instruments are used professionally.
    When i was ggiging i had all my stuff insured with LLoyd's of London. They didn't care if you gave away the stuff.

12. sonhenry

sonhenry Member

Join the union and insure through them. Cheap insurance, and it's covered when you gig.

13. justonwo

justonwo Member

Most of my stuff is insured under my renters policy, but my collection is outgrowing that policy I think. I just emailed Heritage. We'll see what it costs. Hopefully not too much.

14. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

Fireman's in Park Ridge, IL.

If your making enough as a musician, it's worth it. You can also talk to your isurance agent and get a rider or get umbrella coverage under your home insurance. CNA used to do short-term for touring purposes or as 'special risk'.

If your a risk taker, don 't go so far as to take a vintage or one-of-a-kind piece on the road with you. If it get's stolen, you can never replace it exactly. If it gets damaged, it's never quite the same.

Too many horror stories from airports to loading docks for this old timer: trust me.

15. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Pretty typical of homeowner's or renter's policies for instrument insurance; the best thing to do when purchasing the insurance is to be very clear about the use of this equipment. If it is commercial equipment, or in fact generates direct income at all, make sure that you tell that to the insurance company -- and make sure that the policy you get covers you for this kind of use.

16. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

I'm with Heritage too, although I've yet to hear firsthand from anyone who's filed a claim with them. (If having a Heritage policy means you never get ripped off, halleluja!) They have been very good to work with in setting up the policy.

17. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

I looked around last year and ended up with MusicPro (www.musicproinsurance.com) which I think is the ASCAP one as well. The terms and coverage are very reasonable for the money.

18. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

USAA for stuff that doesn't go out on gigs. I pick the value and pay at that rate. For $10,000 + you must have an appraisal.

19. atomicmassunit

atomicmassunit Supporting Member

Gear insurance sure made me sleep better at night. I went with Heritage too, and it was about $250 iirc for over $30,000 of gear.

20. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

I have Heritage insurance. For years I thought that my homeowners insurance would cover most things but I had a break in and someone stold several of my antique toy trains. When I went to the insurance compnay they paid me half of their value. Basically they treated them like a tv or computer that just loses value as it get's older. From that point on I have my guitars, amps, pedals and all other instruments insured by Heritage and my trains insured by a toy collectors insurance company. The piece of mind is worth it but I personally have never had to file a claim with Heritage, and hopefully never will.

Thanks,
    Sam