Anyone get tired of their Kemper and go back to tube amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by green72, Mar 18, 2015.

1. green72

green72 Member

I'm considering getting one, and I'm sure it would be awesome, but I'm wondering how long the honeymoon lasts before I'd want a tube amp again.

I'm currently without an amp and trying to choose between a Kemper and a Shiva 6L6.

Just wondering if anyon has had this experience. Thanks!

2. gitapik

gitapik Member

I don't have one but have heard that they're more practical (and excellent) in a studio/home playing application. The Fractal Audio Axe-Fx II seems to be getting more love on the live front (and studio, as well).

But, like I said: I don't have experience with either. I've been checking both out, though. Just not willing to make the jump, yet (if ever). I love my tube amps.

3. danel59

danel59 Member

Question you should ask yourself, are you playing live? Are you ok with tweaking?
    I have a Kemper and a Fuchs ODS30 but primarily playing at home and some live gigs and I have to say that I use the Kemper for both in most cases. The Fuchs is great but having a bad back and legs makes it difficult for me to carry around. The quality of profiles make or break the Kemper. I have a lot of MBritts profiles and they are great with little or no tweaking necessary. At home I monitor through studio monitors and live go direct through the PA. With playing live unless you have a good relationship with your sound man then you will need some sort of monitor or power amp and cab. At home I find that the Kemper sounds better as I can't play my Fuchs at stage volume where it has the most mojo tone wise. I have had the Kemper now for approx 2 years so I would say the honeymoon period is over and I still love it (but I love my Fuchs too!)

If you are thinking of giving the Kemper a go you should also research the AxeFX as it is an amazing piece of gear that gives you even more effects but from my experience with it, required far more tweaking. I bought the Kemper when it was a lot cheaper than the Axe but now that they are in the same ballpark price wise check both out

This of course IMHO and your mileage may vary

Dan

4. hotpaul

hotpaul Supporting Member

i had an axefx II for a bit but then went back to an amp. the sound was fantastic and having so many options was great but i realized that i am a visual person and i like to plug in, twist a few knobs and play.

i would be all over an axefx with front panel knobs.

5. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

Not at all. I have an Axe II XL, Kemper and a bunch of awesome tube amps. They all serve their purpose. I honestly don't use the Axe much except for FX (amp sims are good, but the feel isn't there for me). I split time 50/50 between my tube amps and Kemper and that won't change any time soon. The Kemper sounds perfect, the feel is perfect and it is a dream when I go play somewhere and don't want to bring my Dumble Ultraphonix Bandmaster or whatever other irreplaceable amp I might want for the night. Aside from direct recording etc, the Kemper sounds great at whisper volumes in a way that no tube amps can. Additionally, I can show up with so many good profiles, including being able to bring both my Dumble amps, my Marshalls, Friedmans, etc.

The post honeymoon has honestly become even better for me as I learn more and more uses.

6. sleewell

sleewell Member

i had the kpa for a bit and sold it.

sometimes i wish i would have kept it as a late night practice and/or recording tool but overall i really love my tube amps so i don't miss it that much. its a good unit but i don't need thousands of profiles; i am set with the 3 amps that i have which get me all the tones i could ever need.

i think the kpa is darn near close to 98% or even 99% of an actual tube amp in a band setting but nothing really matches the feeling of a cranked up tube amp.

7. logdrum

logdrum Member

I do NOT have an experience with the high end modelling amps, but have used the modelling in my Roland GR-55 as well as the Tascam DP-24 built in modelling. I mainly use it for tracking speciall when I have to sing also. I have also used open source (Linux) IRs and amps and those sound pretty good but even my most low-end amp miked with a SM57 into digital board sounds so much better for final tracking. I have attended Journey concerts and nowadays with the Axe FX, Neal Schon's sound is not pleasing to me. I loved it when I was younger. With the AxeFX, he has that shrill grating artifact that permeates the top end. I wish he gets back to Marshalls.
    Even though I will be fifty since I have horses, I need to be able to schlep 70 to 110 lbs bales of hay with relative ease almost everday. I think I can manage 85 lbs amps in the foreseeable future specially now that my kids are leaving for college (no more free labor he he :) ). Maybe I'll even get stronger if I go to a gym. So heavy amps do not bother me.

I's also like to add that I like the toasty smell of a hot tube.

8. gibson5413

gibson5413 Member

I have had a Kemper going on three years. I love it and it is going nowhere. I also have one tube amp combo. I love my Kemper for home and with my band. Not every profile sounds great in a live mix. The profiles created by MBritt from Lonestar sound fantastic in a live mix. I have plenty of others that sound fantastic in my home studio. I am very happy. I like having both.

9. Karl Houseknecht

Karl Houseknecht Member

If it's just home playing, I agree with danel: the KPA or Axe-fx or other modeler is the way to go if you have volume concerns.

But I'll disagree with the tweaking notion. The current versions of the Axe-Fx or KPA need no tweaking beyond the bass, mid, treble, and gain controls to get good tones quickly.

I've owned both, multiple times, and currently own the Axe-Fx. It has been over a year since I've owned and gigged a real amp and have no real desire to ever go back.

10. Ed56m

Ed56m Supporting Member

I have owned both the Axe Fx ll and the Kemper. The Axe excelled at effects and routing. The Kemper sounds and felt more like a tube amp to me. I sold the Kemper and acquired a Bludotone Mordecai and I am very happy. Most people complain about hauling an amp around but here is what mist fail to mention. If you play with your friends you need to haul around the Kemper a monitor (I had a CLR) and a foot controller. When you add it all up the weight was very similar to my amp. Also the cost a Kemper with CLR plus foot controller you are all in for over $3500. Just my 2 cents.

11. randycloud

randycloud Gold Supporting Member

Not trying to be snarky here at all. I bought the Kemper to profile my large bludotone collection before I sold them last year....it didn't get close. Sold it in a week. Then paid over list for axe fx xl...got significantly closer, almost good enough at basic tones, but not at touch nuances. Tried a ton of mikes and a LOT of time with it. Convinced myself it was ready to use...took to one gig with my son using a Bludotone and me using fractal. Listed for sale the next day.....really frustrating waste of time and money. Could see it working fine for Marshall tones in a studio, mix setting....never live.

12. Seegs

Seegs Member

I've heard the Kemper being demoed at the Frankfurt fair every year since the beginning...after listening to the demo for about 30 seconds I lost any interest in it...

Bet it would be fun to fool around with at home but I would never use it or any other modelling device live...I've tried and always end up with sore hands from picking too hard trying to cut through the mix...

As long as I am still performing it's tube amps for me

13. MaxTwang

MaxTwang Member

Fiddled with the Axe and Kemper for years. Last Sept. I sold the digital and got a Mesa Mark V:25 and an Ethos. I'm really happy with the lack of options and effects. Instead of fiddling with profiles & parameters trying to find THE tone I'm working more with my hands and my head - playing better, thinking more and having more fun.

14. gitapik

gitapik Member

Lol...now we'll get someone to chime in about how hard it is to dial in a sound on a Mesa Mark series (I'm very interested in that 25w model, btw).

15. jujube

jujube Member

I think they are great tools for direct recording. That's what my friend who used to be a hard core digital fiend (but has since bought a slew of tube amps due to my bad influence) is doing now. He currently has an AxeFx but has also owned the Kemper. When I heard the Kemper in person with really top notch profiles, I did not like it but that is just me.

His recent clip that he sent me with the AxeFx sounds very good. However, his advice was not to compare tube amps and the Axe. They are different. He said the Axe has great effects. Looking forward to going and playing his AxeFx soon. :)

16. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

Just looked at the Kemper web site. Quite an interesting read. I thought I had read an article somewhere that Kemper had managed to get a hold of a real Dumble to add to their list of stock amp models. Couldn't see anything Dumble listed in the online manual other than Fuchs and Ceritone. Did I miss something or was I mistaken about the article?

Thanks

:)

17. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    I am very interested in the Kemper. I will not sell my tube amps, and after giving the Kemper a fair tryout, if I don't care for it, I will sell it and buy another tube amp.
    However, I believe, even before having even had a chance to see a Kemper in person yet, that since the profile is a recording of sorts, if it is good enough, and can be tweaked to taste, it should sound like the amp it profiled.

This gets down to a person being able to dial it in as with any other amplifying device, tube, SS, or digital.

I plan to try a powered head, and play it through a 1x12 Marshall 1912 cab. If I can get 3-4 different amps to sound as I desire, and then tweak each model for clean, semi-clean, and lead tones, I will be more then satisified.

18. LARRY GERSHON

LARRY GERSHON Silver Supporting Member

I pm'ed you about Kemper

19. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    I haven't received the PM yet, Larry. I'll be looking for it.

20. Dead-Pan

Dead-Pan Member

Never considered selling my Kemper. Think about selling my amps everyday.