• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Anyone getting tired of their Rebel 20's yet?

ecbluesman54

They have had positive reviews from every reviewer/player. I haven't had a chance to try one yet though. Hopefully in the near future.

teleache

I was at guitar center getting strings and tried one, What a joke ! It has the tonal complexity of a cheap peavey. Sure...lots of grind if you want it. But with 4 tubes sharing the duty on the cheesy too small power transformer. Doesn't have enough low mids or low end at all to speak of. I may be biased because i own a z-28 & a maz 18.

If you've already been spoiled by high-end boutique amps, then it might not do a thing for you.

But for the rest of us, I can say that I am absolutely lovin' my Rebel.

I've only had mine 2 weeks, so I'm probably still in the Honeymoon phase. But coming from cold, clean, lifeless Hot Rod series Fenders, this little amp freakin' Kills.

5E3

Tone is subjective, and the Rebel 20 has been the new (and affordable) kid on the block for a while.

IMO, GAS will eventually come back to some Rebel owners and we'll see the amps popping up in the emporium and on eBay. Especially considering the assumed volume of units being sold. If you're luke warm about trying one, wait for the initial depreciation and buy one used. Then if you don't like it, sell it for little or no loss. That's what I did with a Tiny Terror. Didn't cost me any loss when I decided it was not for me. YMMV :)

teleache

You so right 5e3 ! My 59' cathode biased 5e3 has more gut's than that rebel 20. Again...if that rebel 20 watts ? My z-28 must be 100 watts of guttsy girth ! lmao !

SeeMoore

I was at guitar center getting strings and tried one, What a joke ! It has the tonal complexity of a cheap peavey. Sure...lots of grind if you want it. But with 4 tubes sharing the duty on the cheesy too small power transformer. Doesn't have enough low mids or low end at all to speak of. I may be biased because i own a z-28 & a maz 18.
Ooh, a Z-28 ??, must have bass response different than an 18 or 38 'cause bass response ain't a strong point in the Maz line, I've owned 2 of them.

Anyway, I still love my Rebel, and no, it ain't a $1700 amp but it's closer than several $1000+ amps I've played.

With the right speaker cab I believe the Rebel can just about any amp you want it to be.

Jarrett

I may be biased because i own a z-28 & a maz 18.
If you've already been spoiled by high-end boutique amps, then it might not do a thing for you.
Hehe, this made me chuckle. The Maz18 is supposed to be a clearly superior amp to the Rebel20? Gimme a break :D I've owned plenty of high end amps including a fair share of Dr Z's and the Rebel20 is a fine amp by any estimation.

Somniferous

Nope still love mine, it just smokes in a recording situation. The only thing that sucks is that now that I live in an apartment, I don't get to crank it often.

teleache

Hehe, this made me chuckle. The Maz18 is supposed to be a clearly superior amp to the Rebel20? Gimme a break :D I've owned plenty of high end amps including a fair share of Dr Z's and the Rebel20 is a fine amp by any estimation.
You sound like Bruce Egnater himself ?

Hey my modded 6 watt epiphone is made in china too, but to get it gusty growl out of it, i had to put american made transformers in it. I would say to all you rebel owners to do the same.

Sorry, it just seem to have too much gain, could hardy tell the differance 84 side and the 6v6 side, both were so compress even with the master all the way up.

I reminded me of my peavey bravo from the early 90's. The rebel is closer to a boogie. Ok i'm a die hard 4 input marshall guy too, never been into over compressed high gain type of amps. So that make's me not biased to Z's I like old school marshalls, fenders and vox's. I play a maz 18 because I can crank it in a club and make it sound with the eq. section " a metal front or a jcm 800 ! Works for me. I think rebel ower's may be biased to mesa boogie's ? I can respect that. It's just not my cup of tea

Can i ask all you supportive rebel owners what was you main amp before ?

The rebel tries really hard to have the look and sound of a boutique hand wired amp, right down to the the Z style grillcloth !

But for 600 american bucks ! not a bad deal for all you boogie players who can't afford a studio 22 anymore.

Last edited:

3 Mile Stone

The rebel tries really hard to have the look and sound of a boutique hand wired amp, right down to the the Z style grillcloth ! But just like all amps produced by too many share holders. It comes up short.

But for 600 american bucks ! not a bad deal for all you boogie players who can't afford a studio 22 anymore.
The Rebel isn't trying to be anything. It is what it is. Produced by too many share holders. I'm not really sure what you are trying to say but, you obviously don't know much about Egnater. Boogie hasn't made the studio 22 for some time, but if I wanted one I could probably find one on eBay for a couple hundred more dollars than a Rebel so I can't see the relevance in that statement either. Your comments have a bitter flavor.

crazyForce

Silver Supporting Member
I was at guitar center getting strings and tried one, What a joke ! It has the tonal complexity of a cheap peavey. Sure...lots of grind if you want it. But with 4 tubes sharing the duty on the cheesy too small power transformer. Doesn't have enough low mids or low end at all to speak of. I may be better because i own a z-28 & a maz 18.

:stir

I am TOTALLY kidding, please don't flame me. It was just too fun to resist!

:)

monkmiles

Silver Supporting Member
I've owned mine for a good month or so now. Been using it at my jazz trio rehearsals and at home and still finding it very inspiring to play. I'm waiting to see how it will work in another band I play in, as they're bigger/louder so hoping it has enough power/volume for that (I think it will).

It's got the portability of a solid state amp, but kills a solid state in tone.

BuddyGuit

Silver Supporting Member
I been using mine for three months. Before I used mostly a '77 Princeton Reverb that I put an Eminence Lil' Buddy in. Now I've been using the Princeton as the cab for the Rebel. I am still very happy with the amp.

rycher

Funny, the original poster was asking people's opinion that had the Rebel for awhile, if they're still diggin' it. Then DR Z himself wants to piss on everybody who does enjoy it. I ordered it and liked it, but due to the econmic situation at my work, I sent it back. Great little amp with the right cab/speaker combo. I've owned a couple Marshall 800 series amps and recently a JVM, played through plenty of my friends higher dollar amps, the Rebel holds up just fine and I'm anxious to be able to get another.

teleache

Funny, the original poster was asking people's opinion that had the Rebel for awhile, if they're still diggin' it. Then DR Z himself wants to piss on everybody who does enjoy it. I ordered it and liked it, but due to the econmic situation at my work, I sent it back. Great little amp with the right cab/speaker combo. I've owned a couple Marshall 800 series amps and recently a JVM, played through plenty of my friends higher dollar amps, the Rebel holds up just fine and I'm anxious to be able to get another.
Lighten My gear page brother....:nono I'm unemployed too. Sure i still have my gear, what's wrong with that ? I tried a rebel and compaired it to my maz 18 ? high gain compression. Can i state that ? Is that a crime ?

Trending Topics