Anyone gigging a small (new) Supro?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GuitarArt1980, Apr 17, 2017.

1. GuitarArt1980

GuitarArt1980 Member

I'm wanting something that can do a garagey/surfy tone that will hang with a rock drummer but not piss off the soundguy at small clubs. I really like what I've heard of the new 1x12 and 1x10 Supros but am wondering how they do on stage in a band mix. I'd like to be able to set the amp at the edge of breakup and push it with an OD/boost for more gain. My band is an indie garage rock three-piece, FWIW.

I'm eyeing the Tremoverb (played briefly at a local shop at lower volumes and was very impressed), Comet, and Saturn Reverb.

Anyone gig with any of these? How do you like them?

2. GuitarArt1980

GuitarArt1980 Member

3. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

I don't gig, but it doesn't seem like you're getting any help so I'll give you some info.

I've got a basement studio with relatively big amps (JMP 50-watt, Pro Reverb, Blues Deville), bass, and drums where I play with a full band.

I've got a Dual Tone Reissue (24 watts, 1x12). It competes nicely with the 40-watt Pro Reverb and has no trouble being heard with drums, even clean. It cuts through the mix nicely with its mid-emphasis. It's noticeably louder than my friend's Deluxe Reverb RI and probably stays clean up to the same volume, but has much nicer breakup when it gets there.

The Dual Tone is not a clean machine but gets nice crisp cleans at the volumes we play (normal drum levels), and I can push it into edge-of-breakup or full-on breakup with just my guitar volume.

Whether it will work for you (or similar Supro models will) is really dependent on how loud your cleans need to be. They certainly don't stay clean all the way up, and if you want loud really pristine cleans they might not be for you. But from the description of what you're looking for it would be worth giving one a test run. In terms of size, weight, and volume, I'd put them in a similar category with the Deluxe Reverb or AC15.

4. GuitarArt1980

GuitarArt1980 Member

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the Dual Tone may have too much headroom for me. I'm gonna take a closer look at the 15w Saturn Reverb.

5. IM4Tone

IM4Tone Member

Going to depend mostly on your drummer bandmate.
    My guess is the tremoverb will do it, especially since you want to be on the edge.
    Can you get the amp with a 30 day return policy?

6. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

I have a handful of amps. My current top two favourites are new Supro Thunderbolt (35W, 1x15 combo 2 knobs) and a Mesa Mark V through 2x12 cab.

For a rock band that plays at a healthy volume, and I need to cover a huge range of clean/overdrive tones, its tough to beat the MarkV. It does everything so well and I can easily dial in a bunch of different clean, crunch, lead tones to suit any gig.

I love the sound of the Supro. It is clean, with tons of character and can easily keep up with drummer. The overdriven Jimmy Page sound actually happens at a volume too loud for most of my playing situations. IMO, gigs where Supro works best are when the basic slightly gritty big clean tone is perfect for 80% of the music and then hit it with light overdrive when needed. In other words more homogeneous styles such as roots, country, jazz, blues, rockabilly, old 60s rock etc...