anyone gigging "in spite of" health issues you brought on yourself?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by BigSB, Apr 1, 2015.

1. BigSB

BigSB Member

The news about Joni Mitchell and the recent passing of Leonard Nimoy has me thinking...

How many of us are gigging as we battle issues we've brought on ourselves?

If it were not for a genuine miracle, I would still suffer from chronic bronchitis today.

Even with that albatross off my neck, I still struggle daily with arthritis from years of sports with no limbering up and plenty of injuries. I also fight my overweight issue daily, which is a combination of an unchanged diet with a very changed lifestyle, along with metabolism issues.

I am still the singer today I always was, even if my style and range have changed, but I'm no longer the punk-influenced, leave-it-all-out-there-every-time frontman I used to be. I still bring it 100% every time, but I'm much more aware of my threshold now BEFORE I reach it, whereas back in the day, I'd jam till the night was over and then sometimes literally collapse into comatose sleep. I never felt the burn, the weight of the passion, like I do now.

Back then, it was all 'cause I could. Now, it's all 'cause I must.

What do you struggle with that you brought with you into the mix over the years?

2. Turi

Turi Member

Nothing.

If you got problems go to the doctor, chill out for a bit and get back to it.

Why burn yourself out?

3. RupertB

RupertB Supporting Member

Combination of over-practicing, biking, bad keyboard technique and probably a few other things got me a condition called tenosynovitis below the ring-finger of my left hand. Swelling got so bad, they had to cut my wedding band off a couple of years ago.

I've been to several flavors of physical therapy, given it lots of rest and don't bike like I used to (change of work address).

Still gives me a "pop" now & then and requires a good deal of extra stretching before, during & after a gig. Also ice it post-gig.

I can still play but resting it for a couple of days between gigs/practices has become important. Can't string together long sessions day after day like I used to.

4. PFunk

PFunk Member

Does tinnitus count?

5. BigSB

BigSB Member

Lithsp, can't afford to lay out.

Disabled and don't qualify for disability. unemployed for over two years after I got railroaded out of a job.

The money I can make gigging right now represents every cent I will have to feed a family with.

6. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

OP;
    I feel your pain.
    You don't mention your age.
    At 58, I have had to make several changes to my life style.
    I am not overweight, or smoke / drink.
    I did past a few kidney stones about a year ago, and one was right before I played a church gig.
    So... I got serious about my diet: cut out soda pop, cut back on fast foods, started eating less portions and started drinking a lot of water.
    My legs still cramp up a bit after playing a Saturday afternoon / Sunday service.
    But my voice is still strong, and I am thankful that I can make a decent living ( along with teaching music)
    I hope you can get on the right track, as far as your weight / diet.
    You can do this.

7. wrong_note_rod

wrong_note_rod Member

my fret-hand wrist is shot to hell and my ears are somewhat cooked.

Yet I persevere.

8. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Yep, Back, wrist, thumb and elbow issues are getting to be a big problem for me. As I age my throat dries out fast when singing a lot also.
    Getting old aint for the aged!
    I recently built two strats with the neck/pickups/bridge sunk 2" deeper into the body. Now playing an F Bar chord for instance, the nut is 2" closer to my body and my wrist isn't tweaked around so bad. Worked out pretty well.
    I need a roadie.... :>)

9. c_mac

c_mac Member

I hurt my back as a 19 year old and suffered for years with a ruptured L5 disc. I simply thought that I "put my back" out at the time and figured that random bouts of excruciating pain was just par for the course as one got older. I struggled badly with hauling gear and standing all night. Finally, when I was 28, I had an MRI that revealed why I had such problems - my disc had literally broken apart. I had surgery and now 4 years later, I'm doing WAY better. I still stay away from hauling around super heavy gear and standing for long periods isn't ideal but it's nowhere near as bad as it was.

10. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

Not sure I brought them on myself as much as it being just age and heredity. The last few years doing shows in the heat have been a real challenge. I overheated once a few years ago after a 90 minute first set and ended up in an ambulance and then the emergency room. Couldn't finish the show. Since then I've struggled at times.

Last year I developed a huge blood clot in my leg (from knee to groin) Went into emergency and three days later had a big show Friday night. Wasn't the smartest thing I've done. Made it through the show barely. Had to have someone drive me home. I woke up Saturday and thought I needed an ambulance to get me to the hospital. I had to cancel the Saturday concert. I honestly thought I had a chance of making it when I went to bed the night before.

Made it through the rest of the season but was always short of breath and struggling. ( I sing every song in tribute band )

This year I've lost considerable weight and I'm exercising but I just don't have the lung capacity any more. I'm hoping it'll get better.

This may be my last year if I don't improve health wise. My leg still swells up from the clot when i do the treadmill but will go down if I elevate it.

We have a lot of great shows booked for this summer. Hoping I can improve the situation. I don't understand why I can't increase my lung capacity. I had clots in my lungs but was told they resolved. It wipes ya out when you are short of breath and trying to sing sets that are 80 to 90 minutes. I try to make set lists out to allow some recoup time. Thankfully the musicians in the band are so talented and the songs we do have instrumental work.

I seriously wonder if I might drop dead on stage sometimes. My drummer happens to be my cardiologist. :eek:

Too much info. I won't mention torn meniscus in both knees.

11. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Just tinnitus.

12. jim683

jim683 Member

basketball and softball are/were sports I love to play. Last November, while playing BBall I tore my ACL. I started to play the drums again in January and can play for a couple of hours without getting too stiff, but basketball is over.

I'm almost 53 and was always good at sports, but growing up wasn't taught about stretching and I think it is causing some issues now. My band had to replace our bass player and we've had a couple of rehearsals with the new guy and look forward to gigging in the next month or so.

13. custom53

custom53 Member

I had a catastrophic accident 7 years ago.. Nothing I did, it was a freak work accident.. I still play but it really "took the wind out of me".. I have lost the drive that I used to have.. Still trying to get it back, and I still play but it just isn't the same anymore..

14. stevel

stevel Member

Ear problems. Brought them on myself. Still gigging with a too loud band (but now wearing plugs that really dampen the sound - not ideal, but allows me to gig).

15. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Not all my health issues have been my fault; asthma, blood clot in my leg, occasional plantar fasciitis (which I believe I have right now), but some are my own fault; hearing loss, tendonitis and carpal tunnel.

I still make to every gig somehow, although I refuse to do doubles these days.

16. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Dave...Are you on something for the clot? I take Xarelto, which is helping quite a bit.

17. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

Yeah, I deal with back pain, foot pain, shoulders, elbows, fingers... and some other stuff I ain't throwing out in public.

Lotta years doing hard labor, eating poorly and not taking care of myself... at 47, I hurt a lot. But, I am back on track with taking care of myself.

Luckily, I don't drink or do drugs (cut all of that crap out years and years ago). at least I'm not fighting that monkey. I've lost too many musician friends to that route.

If it weren't for the fact that I still love making music, I'd probably be relaxing a lot more than I do But, I try to practice every day and I'm out gigging as much as I can. Just trying to get good someday.... And, I've begun stretching when I go to the gym now too! LOL

18. guitarmike

guitarmike Member

I am recovering from 3 back surgeries in 2 weeks (been home 10 days). I am fused from my hips to mt rib cage (total of 8 operations). I have 2 guys that want to form a new band asap but right now, I am not sure I want to lug gear around anymore. The doctor said I will have a 50 pound limit on carrying stuff but right now I just do not feel like it. Take care of your back, once you fuse it you throw the bending pressure on your remaining disks and they will pop if you over do it.

19. Campfired

Campfired Gold Supporting Member

I've already got a few limitations, but it doesn't prevent me from doing my job, or practicing guitar. Gigging is not always easy, because of my limitations. I look at my problems with a positive sense of humor (and wear my best eyepatch or peg-leg, lol...).

1) Early onset carpal tunnel in my right hand and minor carpal tunnel in my left hand (from bending my wrists when sleeping overnight).

Solution: Wear 2 wrist braces at night.

2) Weight management. Ever since graduating college in the late '90s, I had gained about 25 lbs. that I could never seem to quite get rid of.

Solution: Use a weight management app on my iPod that counts calories and allows to offset your intake vs. exercise.

3) Ruptured left anterior bicep tendon. Almost 10 years ago, I was dating a woman and while we were picnicking alongside a stream, I broke my left arm closest to the ball joint above the humerus. About 3 months later, I was working at my job and the left anterior tendon popped...the bicep muscle rolled up inside the left arm like a window shade. I waited a year before considering rotator cuff surgery, and that lasted a year and then the bicep let go again. To this day, my left arm is weaker than my right arm, because the left arm has only 1 lateral bicep muscle working inside. Unless the anterior tendon somehow miraculously reconnects and grows, my left arm is consistently weaker than my right.

Solution: Use my right arm for the heavy lifting and carrying of amps any short distance. Use my left arm for gig bags or lighter guitar cases.

4) Intermittent hand pain. Every guitarist seems to experience this after a heavy practice session, so I'll only add this as an afterthought.

Solution: Prepare by doing light hand stretches and warm-ups before practicing, as with any exercise program. When I jam, I don't bounce around the room, so the only stretching required is in the hands, arms and feet.

20. loudboy

loudboy Member

I set up the PA and played a gig while in the middle of a semi-mild kidney stone episode.

At the end of the night, I'd sweat an 8" circle thru my shirt, right where my kidney was.

Good times.