anyone go amps/pedals to modeler to amps/pedals and back?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by geoangus, Jan 27, 2012.

1. geoangus

geoangus Member

I still have my Tophat Club Royale, but I unloaded my pedals to fund the purchase of a POD HD500 and a QSC K12. For most of the year, I'm an at home noodler, and the POD fits the bill.

But I'm reaching a point where I need to choose a path and unload the other. The quantity of pros for modeling, especially for a guy screwing around at home, far exceed those of amps, with the exception of the connection I feel between fingers, guitar and amp.

My ONLY beef with the Club is volume and clean headroom; when I'm playing with my former band mates, I run out of both. I haven't used the HD500/K12 in a band setting yet, but I feel I'll miss the amp in the room sensation.

At 50, I know I'm chasing unicorns, particularly given how much my skills have degraded over the past decade (just haven't played as much as I used too). No one can give me THE ANSWER, I know that is ultimately up to me, but I'm just wondering that while there are many who have sold their amps/pedals to chase modelers and then retreated back to analog, how many have made a second trip to modeling?

2. geekocaster

geekocaster Member

Wow I was just going to post the same thread.

I play quite a bit part time. I make enough playing to pay for all my gear.
    Right now i play in 2 bands. One is for a very large house of worship, which is easier to use a podXTPro direct to the house, since we use Aviom and in-ears.
    For my other club bands i have a bunch of other gear i am trying to figure what path to take.
    . I have a Line 6 Vetta II Head with floorboard controller and a marshall 4x12 1960a cab which gets the job done but i also have-
    A 20 watt and another 50 watt tube amp (jetCity and a Carvin V3)
    I have a solid state 90 watt roland jazz chorus.
    I have cabs that are smaller for smaller venues.
    I also have old analog stomp boxes, a Pod HD-300 and L6 M9 ---I just bought a bunch of pedals today and pulled my boss BCB-60 pedal board out of the closet...i guess i will A/b against the M9 ( or hd300) and decide what path to take...

So basically i am having a hard time deciding what to play, just joined a more serious [top40] cover band that will be playing long sets, i know i can get "good enough" from the modelers but i love my tube amps.

I am really on the fence. I could just go good enough with either the vetta or the HD, or I could see myself selling my modeling gear and going tube and my old pedalboard, or go tube with the M9 or HD-300 for efx. I was convinced for about 3 years the vetta and XTPro were good enough
    Sorry for long post... I am really pondering this one.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  3. Rock72

Rock72 Member

I have had a on-off-on-off relationship with modellers. After going through plenty of them I thought I found the "final one" with the 11R. Sold that one too, back to guitar - stompboxes - amp. Eventually I made the investment for the Axe Fx II, but I have kept all the other gear, which is an amp and a few pedals. Being sensible, noodling mostly at home, most modellers would probably fit the bill, but my "mind" (yeah I know, psychology) hasn't been happy until now with the Axe (hasn't anything to do with how much I paid and limited availability), and I can't for my personal use see a better solution here at home. But having gone through this previously, I am not selling off other gear. So my current situation is that I have the "perfect" home set up, and I do have an amp and some pedals if needed. And I have stopped lusting after gear.

4. weathertite

weathertite Member

Sort of the same thing going on with me as well. I too am the big 50. Been chasing modelers for a while. Getting ready to list a Eleven Rack on ebay as I also have an Ultra. Thinking of going back to tube amps and pondering selling the Ultral to get an AxeII. What a mentally exhausting task to be a guitar player. Only time will tell. It is always a great day to be a guitar player. So many choices, so little money.....

Ed
    Peace, out
    Just keep Rockin
    :omg

5. hanales

hanales Member

I've switched up depending on my needs at the time, as I generally have had paying gigs over the years. Currently I'm doing the top-40 thing, so an hd500 serves my needs, as I'm only playing live, need versatility, and let's be honest, that 5% of extra tone is not going to be noticed except by snooty guitar snobs who are not our target audience.

I've been looking at some original bands lately, if I get back into that I'll pick up something appropriate and use the HD just for effects.

It's really all about need, I've never been emotional over my gear, so getting rid of things and financing new purchases is not that big of a deal. I have a family and a smaller house, so if I'm not playing out or recording that gear is getting dusty, so I don't believe it should be in my house.

6. TheJudge

TheJudge Member

Yes, a couple of times over the last 15 years or so, and I have been a player since 1978. After owning some really great vintage amps (Marshall, Hiwatt), a Boogie or two, some preamps (ADA MP-1, Rocktron Voodoo Valve and others I don't remember) and some modelers (Line 6 POD, Yamaha DG Stomp, Maudio Black Box, POD HD 500, AxeFx Standard, Amplitube, Guitar Rig, Revalver) I have settled into my 11R. It is the best sounding and feeling hardware modeler for my needs. Oh, and I still have some pedals I use occasionally in front of the 11R or in the loop.

7. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I went from amps to modelers (in the early 00s), then back to amps (in about 2007 - 2009) and now back to modelers (2010 - ...).

the first time I went to modelers and was really happy, it was the Vox Tonelab SE (whch I think is STILL great technology that ought to be updated). After I went to amps and then back to modeling, I was less happy (believe it or not) in some ways with the X3 Live (that product was flawed for guitar, but amazing with acoustic guitar and even bass). The HD 500 continues to knock my socks off!

I am WAY happier with modelers than real amps (just finally sold my last tube amp), and now that I've added a Tyler Variax to the mix, the possibilities are so amazing to me that I'm having an insanely wonderful time figuring it all out. The Variax just got here on Thursday, and I'm re-writing my whole bank of patches so that I can easily switch from my "real" two-voice guitars to the Variax and back again.

8. clintmartin

clintmartin Member

I had two qsc K12s and was never happy in a live situation. I sold them both and bought a DT50. Now I can sell everything else!

9. geoangus

geoangus Member

This is one avenue I'm considering, although a second K12 would give me versatility of owning a PA that a DT50 would not. All that said, I'll continue to peruse the emporium in hopes of finding someone who would straight up trade a DT50 for my Club Royale.

10. thisHEREgiraffe

thisHEREgiraffe Member

I've been going back and forth for a while so I've decided just to set up two rigs. My modeling rig (Axe-FX) I use for all my cover band gigs since I need several different amp tones and some weird one off effects that I'd never use if I wasn't covering a song.

I also keep a small tube rig (15 watt amp 6 or 7 pedals) that I use as my tone on the original things I do.

Gear in my opinion is just a tool - so I make sure I've got the right tool for the right job. A bit of a pain in the ass but very rewarding and I get awesome tones from both setups.

11. axelicker

axelicker Member

I owned the Axe Std 2x, the GSP1101 2x, an M13, a couple of Vox and Zoom modelers.
    I don't play out anymore but was looking for ways to replace the $1000's of amps/cabs, switchers, and FX I owned with a simpler, more compact package that would sound good at not-blasting volume. Never found satisfaction in any of the modelers.

Then I got divorced and moved back into an apt.

Tried getting my gain from pedals. Sounded good and organic on lower-gain stuff but fake and less "huge" than modelers at higher gain.

So I tried an Axe again (3rd time, great hopes for the updated s/w), a GSP1101 (3rd time), and 11Rack. Totally chasing my tail. I tried studio monitors which are most effective for low-volume, but make me feel as though I'm playing unplugged along with the stereo...just not connected to the guitar.

Now I have a Mustang 5, which to me sounds not significantly less great than the others and cost me $225. It's stereo so it sounds big at apartment vol levels. Of course the effects are 'ok', but that would only bother me if I were recording, which I haven't done in the last 5 yrs.

I also have an RM4 preamp in a small rack and am going to throw a GSP1101 in there, 4 cable hookup. With that rig all midi all I'll need on the floor is a controller. A single exp pedal could do delay levels, volume, wah, etc depending on the patch.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  12. mattball826

mattball826 Member

been there and back many times. own many brands of modelers from axe fx gsp, vox, gnx and all pod versions. i tried every frfr out there and didnt come close to my live traditional rig. i dont get along with the hissy compression drivers of frfr cabs. they just dont work like guitar cabs imo.

amps and pedals it is now again for my big shows.

for small club gig i use modeler or modeler with small amp or sometimes just ue the pa floor mons.. depends on space

jet city has new powered guitar cab frfr for modelers so like glutton for punishment i wil try that too..

13. MJ Slaughter

MJ Slaughter Member

I keep two different rigs, modeling and tube each with their own pedal board. Some nights I feel organic, other times synthetic. Don't always know until I get ready to load out.

14. sheguitarplayer

sheguitarplayer Member

After about 30 years of tube amps I went the whole hog into modelling with the axefx. After months of struggling with that I was convinced I needed to 'upgrade' to the ultra, which I did. I struggled with that. I was then convinced that what was missing was the 'recommended' amplification of the Atomic FRFR to go with it. After a total of about 2 and a half years, each time being persuaded that the next firmware was the one to cast aside all doubts, I gave up and sold the axefx. Went back to tube amps. Ive built up a nice little collection since then. Then this new axefx 2 and the Kemper came out. I ordered both, and was lucky in that both arrived just after Christmas. The axefx2 was to me , well meh. Very nice as a modeller and an improvement on the former models, but still very much a modeller. The usual 'Next firmware update will make it 120 percent better than the real thing' was being trotted out. When you've heard that since firmware 5 on the 1st model it gets a bit old. The Kemper was a revelation though. Ive only had it about 4 weeks but Ive gigged it 4 times now, rehearsed with 3 different bands, and its just great. Ive still got my tube amp collection, but am in the process of profiling them, and don't feel the need to take them out of the house now. The amps I have profiles so far include an evh 5150 head, a Marshall add and a Marshal jmp.100. I can't tell the difference between the amps and the Kemper profiles. Neither can my sound man, or anyone else who is actually that interested.

15. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I've been on this roundabout too!

TBH, nothing comes close to my modded Marshall...even other amps but that is beside the point.

Modeller front ends with carefully matched tube power sections can sound very amp like but it's not 'quite' the same but it does sound pretty authentic. Running modellers as digital preamps is the only way I can use modellers now...everything else just sounds terrible to my ears. This is just IMHO but...

The FRFR thing is a wash IMHO...it just doesn't sound real but it works for plenty of guys on TGP so everyone to his or her own.

16. geekocaster

geekocaster Member

I Spent a few hours with my HD300 this AM, upgraded firm ware tweaked patches, then spent time with the M9, and finally spent a few hours playing my tube amps and stomp boxes. At the end of it I put my modeling gear in thr closet, i think I am going old school for a while. Maybe i will change my mind Again after rehersal later this week...

17. d3nzi0

d3nzi0 Member

I have two rigs set up - one with a tube amp/speakers/pedal board and another one with a modeller + two analog pedals that I can go direct to PA if needed.

Just depends on the situation and need...

18. weathertite

weathertite Member

Just got done playing with my Ultra..... Now thinking if an Axe II is that much better and maybe I'm using the wrong FRFR, or maybe I should go back to tube power amp and cabs...... Got to wonder if the rabbit hole ever ends..... To be a musician is hard.... So many choices.... So little money.... So little time....
    Play hard... Live fast.... Die hard... Enjoy what you can... We get one ride on this train and when it stops the ride is over.....

Ed
    Peace, out
    :huh

19. Dancing Frog

Dancing Frog Member

Basically, I went Fender Twin-Digitech 2112/Mesa Simul 2:90-Fender '63 Vibroverb reissue-H&K zenTera-H&K Triamp MkII ALSE/Tone King Meteor-Axe-FX Ultra-Axe-FX II. So, I have been doing this pogo for awhile. It has always been driven flights of fancy followed by bouts of practically. When I began this cycle, I pretty much thought an amp was an amp was an amp. Although the Digitech 2112 was not a modeller, I was drawn to the possible convenience of having lots of sounds in one box with a programmable interface for one stomp cueing rather the pedal dance. But, the tonal quality was never there, so I went back until I was attracted by the promise of digital amps for the same reasons as before. The zenTera was an eyeopener in that it was close enough to the actual great amps that I realized that I didn't know that much about amps, and I became curious to experience the genuine articles at least once in my life. So, I went back and discovered that they sounded a slight bit better and stayed for awhile. Then, the pedal dance got in the way coupled with long setup times and heavy loads, and I had to get a setup that was more convenient.

20. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

I don't think it makes sense to sell all your gear when you get a modeler. Certainly if you have "generics" lying around like a stock JCM800 or whatever, but having amps that feel like "your" amps is a good idea. Sometimes you'll just want to turn on an amp and jam with it. I'm still looking for a unique amp like that though. Thinking of getting the new Micro Terror as it seems like a great practice amp.

Selling effects pedals too is generally a really bad idea as you'll find yourself frustrated that you can't nail the sound you used to get. It's why I keep my Electric Mistress even though I rarely use it. Getting a smaller box version built soon.