Anyone going without an OD?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ProfMagpie, Jun 12, 2008.

1. ProfMagpie

ProfMagpie Silver Supporting Member

I'm playing an 18 watt Trinity SIII and though I like a treble booster and fuzz with the amp, it seems the amp and my volume knob on the guitar provide all the OD I need. Anyone else in the same boat?

2. eleanor296

eleanor296 Member

YUP!
    Same here.
    Not to offend anybody, but I don't get the point of having 3 different ODs on your board. Way too much hassle. For me, the guitar volume provides all the overdrive and clean tones I need.
    I play a Rocktron Vendetta (one of the older all-tube models... run of 100), and while it has 4 channels, I only use the 4th channel and it cleans up beautifully.
    Of course, in order to be able to use this feature you need normal to low output humbuckers or SCs, nothing overwound etc... if you play a high gain amp that is.
    Works well for me.
    I still like a booster though for leads (I use a Tycobrahe Alembic Stratoblaster clone I built myself... works like a charm).

3. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

I don't use OD. Just a tube amp, dirty boost, and fuzz.

4. kidmandude

kidmandude Supporting Member

Are these 18 watts amps you guys using non master volume? also are any of you using a power soak? Hotplate? If not my 18 watter 2x12 is way to loud to pin to get that OD happening. So yes I use a BD2 Keeley, i might try a THD 8 Ohm Hot plate to see what happens???...

:D

5. somedude

somedude Member

I've never been able to jive with an OD until recently... always been guitar, amp, volume knob.

Now that I've started doing more lead guitar stuff I like having an OD to increase the cut and sustain of my normal tone, but for rhythm OD pedals still sound like sh*t.

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

No...

Actually, I really like a small amp, cranked with no OD. My Emery Superbaby is perfect for that. One thing that rarely gets mentioned in this context is that cranking an amp, and varying the drive with the guitar's volume control isn't exactly the same as turning the volume of the amp up or down. The EQ curve is different and there're issues with pickup loading that make the sound different. Sometimes it works well (say a Les Paul with the old style wiring and real 500k pots) and sometimes it just makes things muffled. With those guitars, and overdrive may buffer some of the unhappy consequences of turning down (for instance, a Klon is VERY tolerant of turning the volume of the guitar down compared to some amps).

7. somedude

somedude Member

I always like the way normal wiring rolls off some top end when you turn down. Provided your amp is EQ'd for it, it smooths out your clean tone when you turn down and adds some much needed treble response when you crank your volume up to 10.

8. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

Even with the best amps I've ever used, I like some kind of OD for solos, because I like a different character for solos. Boost the level, the mids, and add some grit (smooth grit mostly). I even like a fuzz for this, 200lbs and MI Blues Pro being my current fav solo boosts. But, if you have a boost that can add mids and by adding level can add more saturation from the tube amp, then yeah, a boost can be perfect.

9. Ascension

Ascension Member

I have 3 Fender Prosonics. I just turn down the guitar volume for cleaner tones and turn up the volume for solos. With this much expressive gain on tap even thinking of using an OD is just crazy!!

10. Judson

Judson Senior Member

NEVER!

I mean, ive got two fuzzes, an octave (clean), SOMETIMES but barley at all I use my COT50 or Balance Preamp as a booster if we are playing with more musicians than our usual trio. But neither of those are used as OD, its all about the boost, turning my fuzzes into monsters!

11. Axe_34

Axe_34 Supporting Member

I'm playing the same amp. I built it from one of Stephen's kits. You can definitely go it alone with that amp.

But it loves being smacked with my Super Chili Picoso or Liquid Sunshine. Or both.

[​IMG]

12. Wooley

Wooley Member

I did for a while, running my SG into a Sogrado Poblano Picoso only, then into my Bassman. That really is a hell of a sound, which I may go back to now that the band has broken up.

13. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

no...I like versatility and options...sometimes I get the impression guitar volume and tone are magical on some guitars because mine dont seemt to do all the wonderous things others do...sure I can clean up a crunchy tone with a volume knob, but I cant go from acdc to metallica with a volume knob LOL

I DO like the natural overdrive of a tube amp...I also like tube amps with ovverdrive channels...and I also like od and distortion pedals...just more versatility...Im not gonna by a box of crayonsa and throw out the red green blue and yellow beacuse too many crayons are a pain in the ass...LOL

14. Benny

Benny Gold Supporting Member

Played a couple of shows with just my Reeves Custom 30, and it doesn't require an overdrive, especially with the built-in boost engaged. But I borrowed a klon recently, and that was a pretty special combination.

15. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Since getting my VHT Pittbull Super 30 I've stopped using any kind of booster or OD/distortion pedal!

16. CrazyHeart

CrazyHeart Member

I use a Carr Rambler in it's 28 watt configuration. If I am setting at home and the wife's gone shopping, I can get great tones when I switch it to 18 watts and crank it. But it's very loud!. On stage, I have to use the the 28 watts and pedals. There is just not enough time between songs to do a lot of adjusting. On stage, I use mostly a Barber LTD that will clean up with the volume knob. It also gives me plenty of cut in the mix. I also use the Xotic RC Booster on stage. :BluesBros

Jim

17. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I haven't used an OD for about 10 years. I bring one in the bag, just in case I have to play a low-volume restaurant gig, and need to goose it up a bit at volumes too low to drive the amp.

18. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

I don't use one.
    Fuchs and Two Rock work for me.

19. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

TB and a Fuzz for me too...

OD's ALWAYS sound un-natural (to me) and too compressed. I am not trying to cover a bunch of styles, it is just wot works for my music.

Playon.

20. ProfMagpie

ProfMagpie Silver Supporting Member

Hey Lola! Still using the DynaRanger I got from you and currently a Skreddy Lunar Module for the Fuzz. Thanks for all the replys! Looks like I'm not alone, but we're certainly in the minority around here. :AOK