Anyone good with wiring????????

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by papersoul, Feb 8, 2006.

1. papersoul

papersoul Supporting Member

Hey guys,

I installed a DPDT pot into my Billy Martin to replicate the wiring in my McCarty. However, I just bought a Wolfetone Marshallhead bridge puckup with four conductor wiring and can't nail down the wiring. Can anyone assist? I am usually decent at this.

On the Caretaker..wiring..
    Red = hot
    Black/bare = ground
    Green/white are series link.

Black-white control screw coil
    Red-green control slug coil.

I assume Red to toggle, Black/Bare to pot casing for ground and Green/White to one stem of the DPDT switch? This doesn't seem right though.

Rich

2. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

What are you trying to achieve? Push pull?
    I'd recommed you take a look at the Seymour Duncan site tons of wiring diagrams there.

3. papersoul

4. r9player

Ok I think you may have the wires mixed up.
    If .. colors are standard.
    Green to Ground
    Black to your Volume
    Tie red and white together to your dpdt switch and wire the terminal under the red and white to ground.
    Which means either you have the full path through red and white or with the switch engaged only half the path just red (i.e. split coil)

5. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

There is no standard for color usage, among pickup manufacturers. They may use the same four colors -- red, white, black, and green -- but they do not use them in the same manner.

6. r9player

If there are no standard colors then the only way would be to measure resistance between wires.

7. papersoul

I do know that what I listed above is the color coding and that is from the manufacturer. I just get confused wiring with a push pull pot.

8. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

What doesn't seem right? If you're sure of the pickup wiring, yes it should be red to toggle, black/bare to ground and green/white to DPDT, which should connect the green/white either to ground or to the hot (red) wire depending on which coil you want active when splitting.

9. r9player

Okie so with your setup
    Red = hot
    Black/bare = ground

Green/white are series link.

Black goes to ground/pot casing
    Red goes to Volume
    Green/White to DPDT and the terminal that is enabled on pull goes to ground.
    I believe .. if you have
    1 2
    3 4 - Green/White
    5 6 - Ground
    and your red would be on 2 .. not sure what Clorenzo said..

10. papersoul

Thanks, that is what I did but I get nothing....no sound. I had PRS #10 pickups in prior to these Caretakers and I only did what you said above but I had the Green/White to the bottom lug on the push/pull and the center lugs are ground. I kept all other wiring the same - only tried to install the bridge pickup. Maybe I have to have the Green/White to the center lug and maybe some other wires are out of place? If I can't fix it....it will be at my tech's house tomorrow. I hate to keep spending for electronics when I am capable of soldering.:jo

Maybe I screwed up by having the G/W wires to the bottom lug of the switch since it would always be off? Maybe I'll try to wire it first without the switch to test?

11. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

No, if you connect 2 to red and 6 to ground, the pickup will always be split and what the push/pull would do is select which coil is active. What I meant is that 6 can be either ground or red depending on which coil you want to cut when you pull the switch.

12. Macleod

Macleod Member

Wish I would have seen this thread earlier.

Paper and I have determined that there's something wrong with this pickup. It was tested before it left, but occasionally they do reach their destination DOA.
    I'll have another one ready to go as soon as it gets back, Paper.

13. papersoul

Mr. Wolfe is the man and makes a damn find pickup! Beats the heck out of Duncans.....thats for sure. Thanks Wolfe! I'll have a report once I have another one installed.:) :)

14. r9player

LOL glad you guys figured it out.

15. Macleod

Macleod Member

NO problem man. I just hope it doesn't look like this one that was sent back, claiming it didn't work as expected...:FM :NUTS :confused:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]