Anyone got a Gibson 59 Reissue 335?

Patrick2

Now, there is a perfect example of what I said in an earlier post here. The first 335, the 50th Anni . . . the guys on theLP forum are absolutely correct. It doesn't quite have the Micky Mouse ears. Also, look at the heel. It seems more rounded for better comfort and playability. That is an absoultewly beautiful example of an ES 335 in the tradition of the 1959, without having to focus on exact period correctness.

The next example from the Nashville Custom Shop is equally as beautiful, bit for those of us who are fanatical about getting it as close to original as possible, this one is more period correct. You can really see the difference in the Mickey Mouse ears.

In my opinion, neither is better than the other. They've both got "it".

Alister

Silver Supporting Member
Here's my 50th Ann. '59 from Memphis. VOS finish with the Tom Short pickups:

That's the clone of mine (except for orig. pups in mine).

But I love those two blondes above, too. Those might be the coolest blonde 335's I've yet seen.
It's probably just lighting and photography, but the frets on that Nashville look HUGE compared to mine.

Bhodie

Now, there is a perfect example of what I said in an earlier post here. The first 335, the 50th Anni . . . the guys on theLP forum are absolutely correct. It doesn't quite have the Micky Mouse ears. Also, look at the heel. It seems more rounded for better comfort and playability. That is an absoultewly beautiful example of an ES 335 in the tradition of the 1959, without having to focus on exact period correctness.

The next example from the Nashville Custom Shop is equally as beautiful, bit for those of us who are fanatical about getting it as close to original as possible, this one is more period correct. You can really see the difference in the Mickey Mouse ears.

In my opinion, neither is better than the other. They've both got "it".
Well said!

Bhodie

That's the clone of mine (except for orig. pups in mine).

But I love those two blondes above, too. Those might be the coolest blonde 335's I've yet seen.
It's probably just lighting and photography, but the frets on that Nashville look HUGE compared to mine.
My photography sucks but thanks :) the frets and neck are the same as my R9. Notice there is no serial number or "custom shop" logo on the back of the head either. Only sr# is on the sticker.

Steve73

Steve,

What made you decide on those particular pickups?
I wanted a lower wind PAF to really keep the character of the instrument and Tom has a great rep for low wind PAF's. I like mid output pickups with Les Paul's but with 335's, I like low wind to keep the clarity. I find with semi-hollows, they can get boomy at stage volume pretty easy.

Love the natural blonde as well! I got mine used and it was sunburst so I grabbed it. If I had the choice, I am not sure what colour I would have gone with.....

Patrick2

Lovely. I would've bought a red one if I knew they were available.
I've gotta get me a red 335 or 535. I had two of them "back in the day". I had a 1964 with a factory stop and a 1967 with the trapeze. Please. . . . . . . . . don't ask me why I sold them. It's gonna be tough though. I currently have two semis. A Gibson Historic Reissue 1963 tobacco burst ES335 and an antique blond H535 dot board with a '59-ish neck profile and SD Antiquities. They pretty much set the standard for excellence for me. Everything else I look at will be measured against those two guitars.

robertkoa

Hard to say which is prettier -the Red one or the Natural Blonde.

From the photo it looks like the Blonde has some nice Medium Jumbo fretwire- taller wire than most Les Pauls- right ?

Quartertank

robertkoa said:
Hard to say which is prettier -the Red one or the Natural Blonde.

From the photo it looks like the Blonde has some nice Medium Jumbo fretwire- taller wire than most Les Pauls- right ?
The 59 memphis guitars have the taller and narrower frets, while the historics have the wider and shorter frets. Im pretty happy with the fretwire so far. Ill try to take some more pics that shows the fretwire.

Trending Topics