1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone got a Lace Sensor Purple in the neck position?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Rena Rune, May 22, 2011.

1. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

Always wanted a Lace Sensor pickup, and this seems like about the best since it's got a P90-ish sound, and I like the chime of P90s(though perhaps prefer the Jangle of a Jazzmaster or Tele). I can't find any clips of it in the neck position though, which is where I'd put it.

Anyone got one?

2. karma1

karma1 Member

I'm curious about the purple too. I currently have a Lace Sensor Silver in the neck of my Strat and really like it a lot. Also Gold/middle and Blue/bridge.

3. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

Can't find anything...

4. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

I have one in the middle position on a Parker P38, and not finding it particularly P90-ish at all: very balanced but a little mild-mannered. I do, however, have both a Strat Plus and a Patrick Eggle LA Pro 22 both with a Lace Sensor Blue at the neck, which is a lot more P90-ish (albeit not as gritty) and a fine neck pick-up. Given how a Blue behaves in the middle on another Strat, I'd suspect the Purple is a little too bright/thin.

Alternatively, try a Light Blue - not as thick as the Blue, but warm, blues/jazzy and quite woody sounding: if what you're wanting is P90 meets Jazzmaster meets Tele, I'd say the Light Blue might be your best bet. What guitar are you putting it in?

5. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

Parker P38(if I get one). I really want a Jazzmaster, but the price(Second hand) and feature set of the P38 is more appealing.

I guess I want something J Mascis-esque sound wise, but not dead on for a Jazzmaster as I intend to get one eventually anyone. A Pumpkins kind of sound might be a nice alternative.

Or something good for Shoegaze maybe?

Can't find clips of the light blue anywhere. It's hard to find good clips of things at low gain too(that aren't blues demos) as this can be the defining sound of the guitar for me.

6. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

Given that I'm making reference to these in a P38, I hope comments are useful. Can't comment on how a Purple might sound in the neck, but I'm finding it a little characterless in the middle - you might also find you get better position 2+4 sounds with a reverse wound Lace Silver in the middle. (Silver's are described by Lace as '50's humbucker', but my experience of them in middle position is that they have a nice balance between full and chiming - I'm not a Mascis follower, but they certainly work pretty well in clean and low gain situations.)

Given your sonic ballpark, I'd say a Light Blue is probably closer to a Jazzmaster neck pickup (given the P38 is basswood, I think you'd find a Blue too dark: similar pick-ups in Strats sound considerably brighter than they do in the Parker). Or you could look at Curtis Novak's Jazzmaster neck pickup designed to mount on Teles? Maybe contact him for advice, given the geometry of the guitars is so different - if you take the scratchplate off a P38, there's not a lot there to chisel into!

Hope this helps,

Dave

7. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

Characterless is what I want to avoid. For me Strats are kind of the generic single coil sound so I'd like something with a bit more life.

Is the P38 Swimming Pool routed like US Strats?

8. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Is the purple a new model? I have several old Fender-Lace Pickups, blue, gold, red, silver, but no purple.