1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone got a Marshall Class 5 head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by katarzis, May 24, 2011.

1. katarzis

katarzis Member

Are they out yet?

2. inca_roads

inca_roads Member

Mine (pre-ordered) shipped from Sweetwater in the US yesterday... I hope to report in a few days.

3. RectoGriz

RectoGriz Member

And mine as well.

4. katarzis

katarzis Member

5. inca_roads

inca_roads Member

Took the Class 5 head to rehearsal last night. Ran it through a detuned 4x10 cab with a mix of ceramics & AlNiCos, and an AnalogMan Beano Boost out front.

Nice tones! Master volume was around 3:00, mids dimed, bass & treble each a little less than noon. No issues keeping up with the drummer. The single-ended class A design means lots of pleasing 2nd-order harmonics; kind of reminds me of smaller tweed amp tones only crunchier. No issues with any extraneous buzzes, rattles, or noises. Cleans up really well with guitar volume knob manipulation.

A larger transformer might increase the bass response (it's not bad as-is though), but that can be handled with the right speaker choice just as well. This thing is a keeper... and a bargain too!

6. schwa

schwa Member

I got one as well. I agree with a lot of what inca_roads said, it definitely likes the Beano Boost. No rattles or noises.

It's gainier than I expected. Breakup with an LP starts around 4 (maybe even 3) on the volume knob.

I really like the amp. It's defintely a Marshall, I have two other Marshalls and while it's not the same, it has the flavor.

Since this is TGP, I can't leave well enough alone. The stock tubes sound fine, but I'm going to try some NOS to see if there's an improvement.

A lot of folks like the 10" speaker that comes in the combo, but I was interested in the head because I wanted to be able to use different speakers with it. The 8 ohm output was important - I have a bunch of 8 ohm cabs.

So far I've tried the amp with a 2x12 with Heritage G12 H30's and a 4x10 with 35 watt Celestions. The 2x12 sounded very good, but I think I like the 4x10 a little better.

I think it's a great amp for the money. It's got to be one of the least expensive ways to get the NMV Marshall sound.

They look cool too.

[​IMG]

7. katarzis

katarzis Member

Thanks for the info. Can't wait to get mine!