1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone got a Parker P38?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Rena Rune, May 18, 2011.

1. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

I can't find any good clips of it. I think the trans green guitar is very beautiful and functionally, the good trem, piezo and mix of single coils and HB is really what I'm looking for, but the actual sound of the guitar might be a bit vanilla for me.

I'm thinking of getting one but I may swap out the neck pickup to make it a bit less typically strat like, maybe a Lace sensor or a mini humbucker, but a single coily humbucker if you know what i mean.

Anyone got one, and anyone swapped the pickups?

2. Route234

Route234 Member

Some Parkers need routing to take normal pickups. Not sure about the P38 though.

3. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

I had a P-38. Nice guitar but not the classic Parker features (no carbon fiber, SS frets etc.) The Wilky bridge is good, the neck is slim & fast (not real narrow but thinnish back to front). The piezo is fine. The pickups ARE replaceable with standard size singles & HB. I got 2 Niteflys so I sold the P-38 as the Niteflys have the above mentioned Parker features.
    All in all no big downsides I can think of. Mine was well made, not heavy & fun to play (I did replace the pickups).
    Go for it!

4. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

What did you replace the pickups with out of interest?

5. ef_in_fla

ef_in_fla Member

I had one. It was a decent MIK guitar, nice thin neck, pickups sounded pretty good to me. Not sure why you're thinking of changing pickups on a guitar you haven't even tried out yet? Beware of warped pickguards. Mine was awful wavy, had to heat it up with a hair dryer and place it between some heavy tiles. Did this 3 times and it was finally pretty flat.

6. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

Because I'm not really looking for a Strat sound, but I really like the feature set.

7. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

I have an old red one. It plays fantastically - excellent value for the price. I don't use the piezo on its own - more lack of application than anything else - but the option to mix it brings a new dimension: a much bigger sounding tone. The magnetic pickups are, however, a bit 'vin ordinaire' and are about to be replaced (2 Lace singles and a Dually). But the neck is a thing of joy.

8. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

Thinking of putting a Lace Sensor in the neck and using that most of the time. I think the HB may be fine as is and I probably won't use the mid position that much.

9. oldschoolguy

oldschoolguy Member

Determine the difference in price for a deluxe and think about getting the later as there is no comparison.