Anyone got an MXR M151 Dual Distortion?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stevel, Feb 21, 2009.

1. stevel

stevel Member

How's it sound. How's it work.

Worth it?

I like the idea of "two pedals in one" where I can either set them the same, with one simply louder, or have two different types gain levels (clean pedal off, dirty - pedal on, more dirty - other part of pedal on)

Can you "stack" the two sides?

Opinions, observations?

Steve

2. stevel

stevel Member

Hmmm, I'm guessing from the lack of response, this might not be a very desirable pedal?

Steve

3. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

I have two on my board. Best Distortion box ive played and I have Fulltones, Mi Audio, T REx and the like.

Its dual channels give me everything form a low gain overdrive type sound to the heaviest of metal tones. I run a six band eq after it.

I use EMG pups on all my guitars and this box cleans up nicely even with such hot pickups.

The top channel is a high gain monster, Metallica/Pantera like tones done easily.

Bottom channel will get you anything from a light overdrive/crunch to a high gain plxi roar to sabbath like high gain .

The Botton channel is bassy (plus for me for I use the EMG 81 in the bridge), but I can see how it would be a little bassy with something like a JB in the bridge.

The two channel ca not be stacked, but I also run an MXR Distortion III before it and I satck that with teh bottom channel. It gets me everywere form 70s classic rock tones to 80s metal shredd to modern metal. This box is so versatile.

This box is not made anymore so I have a couple of them cause frankly I have not played a better distortion box.

Its not a very popular distortion pedal, some people seem to hate it. I love it.

4. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

5. smoss469

smoss469 Member

Does MXR pay you to endorse their products? I've never seen someone use so many.

6. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

Nah...I like the way they sound...I have tons of boxes from other manufactures but I wanted to put together an MXR board. They are easy to replace if something goes wrong. Im a little sick of all the boutique hype.