anyone got experience with shellac varnish finish (navigator content)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by AlexF, Sep 10, 2008.

1. AlexF

AlexF Member

2. daddyo

daddyo Guest

They call it shellac which implies a french polish but the finished is checked. I didn't know shellac checked.

3. soulohio

soulohio Member

beautiful axe. retty expensive. those guys selling at guitarsjapan or japanguitar don't throw any deals out on the used high end stuff.

4. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Shellac checks like wild.

5. soulohio

soulohio Member

yea but it's out of warranty.

6. go7

go7 Member

Congrats you have the best LP made. The finish checking is normal for a real nitro [shelac] finish. All the old Gibson LP `s I`ve seen have the same checking going on. I am totally envious. Enjoy!

7. AlexF

AlexF Member

many thanks for the comments guys, now I'm really confused, school me here, what is the connection between shellac and nitro cellulose? I 've always thought they were completely different products, hence my very first question here.
    Al

8. Bob V

Bob V Member

Sure they're completely different products, but lets just say there's no real chance that the marketing description has accurate translations. I would venture a guess that there's no such thing as "shellac varnish." Shellac, technically, is resin from lac beetles dissolved in alcohol, and it has been used for French polishing, like Dadyo says, for centuries (although it's topcoating, not polishing). Varnish is an oil-resin-solvent recipe that's very different from shellac. Unless you're talking about "violin varnish" which actually is shellac and not varnish. Nitrocellulose lacquer is a twentieth century synthetic finish and it's what's on Les Pauls. There are other lacquers, but you'd be asleep before I got into all the terminology there (polythisandthat, pre-catalyzed conversion varnish, waterborne acrylic...).

Gorgous guitar, most likely a nitrocellulose finish if they are using what Gibson used.