• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Anyone had any experience with "Machine Head Pedals" ?

Kenny Blue

Silver Supporting Member
I just happened to find several You Tube videos of a couple of pedals made by a company called Machine Head Pedals.

Two that I found very interesting were the Machine Head 72 Degrees pedal and the Machine Head 98.6 Degrees pedal .

Anyone own or have played either of these pedals ?

Clifton82

Ive owned the 72, the 98, and the RAW. All were excellent.

I also had him Mod 2 Boss Pedals - BD-2 and SD-1 and both where a nice improvement.

All of them have moved on, but I wouldn't hesitate to own them again.

DaveKS

You'll find him hanging over at TDPRI forums with handle of 11 Gauge, he's a encyclopedia of circuit knowledge and history.

72° has been on my hit list of pedals to try.

sanfi4u

Gold Supporting Member
I remember reading somewhere that the 72 degrees is a modified Timmy without that bass knob.
Yeah, it's a tweaked Timmy. To find more details on 72 degrees design click here and here . It doesn't mean 72 degrees is a bad pedal though.

jomac

I just happened to find several You Tube videos of a couple of pedals made by a company called Machine Head Pedals.

Two that I found very interesting were the Machine Head 72 Degrees pedal and the Machine Head 98.6 Degrees pedal .

Anyone own or have played either of these pedals ?
I've had a MHP 72 for over a year now. It's a great sounding overdrive. All descriptions are purely subjective of course.
If you do decide to get one then you wont be disappointed. I've also got a MHP Evelyn in the mail as we speak.
I also like Keith's aesthetic of not jumping on the band wagon of Klon Klones, TS clones etc.

7thString

Keith aka MHP aka 11Gauge is THE guy at tdpri. I'm about to perform his 'outlaw' mod on my DS-1, shall report back soon.
Burgs has some pretty nice demos of his pedals

dllb

Yeah, it's a tweaked Timmy. To find more details on 72 degrees design click here and here . It doesn't mean 72 degrees is a bad pedal though.
Also here. I don't usually read the tele forum so I think I read it on one of the DIY forums also. I couldn't find anything on FSB about it, but here is the Blues Driver Galaxy Mod if anyone is interested. It says he paints and goops the components for the mod. Are the pedal components painted and gooped also?

Last edited:

thinkwriter

I have one. It's ok. But I've only ever tried a few other overdrive pedals so I my point of reference is pretty limited. I used to stack it with a Timmy. Wasn't floored by that.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Umm, so it has the same diode arrangement as a Timmy, but a totally different EQ setup and uses only one op-amp stage vs two in the Timmy? It sounds like it would more accurately be described as an Electra distortion with mods in the feedback loop! The Timmy requires the two op-amp stages to accomplish the goal PaulC set off to accomplish. Anyway, almost all ODs except the DOD250/D+ and the Rat derivatives are basically some kind of diode in the negative feedback loop of an op amp-so you CAN argue that they're all the same thing. I think you'd be wrong to argue that, but you could.

So, let's give the guy his due and say he's designed a single op-amp overdrive that has minimal mid-hump and sounds good with clean Fender amps, unlike many pedals including the Timmy to my ears.

ERGExplorer

The Title is more general so although the OP narrowed the scope down to two pedals, I'll mention that I own the Evelyn and Evelyn Mk II, and love both.

You'll find him hanging over at TDPRI forums with handle of 11 Gauge, he's a encyclopedia of circuit knowledge and history.

72° has been on my hit list of pedals to try.
+2 I've done one of his DS-1 mods (which stayed on my board for years) and Keith even helped me locate a component. Super nice guy and his pedals are highly regarded on TDPRI. He does custom pedal work stuff too.

Trending Topics