Anyone had any trouble gate-checking a guitar at the airport?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by phoenix 7, Dec 20, 2009.

1. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

I've been doing this for a long time, and it's worked fine for me. Better than sending the guitar through baggage. Just wondering if the airlines have lately been insisting on checking in guitars with other luggage.

2. silentbob

silentbob Member

Get on the plane as quickly as you can. With most airlines charging for bags now, there are more carry-on bags than ever before. If they run out of overhead space, all bags that don't fit will be "gate checked" into the cargo hold.

3. mcdonaldkd

mcdonaldkd Member

No problems on American or Southwest.

4. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, I don't expect to get on with the guitar. Just want to make sure I can gate check it.

5. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

Is it in a bomb-proof flight case? Then carry it on. I have never been denied.

6. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

I'm a regular on the Louisville - Cleveland - Manchester route (Continental) and I carry a guitar fairly often. It's always the commuter jets. (which I prefer to the big planes by a LONG way, btw) I have no problem gate-checking; in fact more than once the flight attendant has either told me "that will fit in the overhead, bring it on the plane!" or offered to put it in the coat closet.

I don't use anything more than a good-quality hard shell case if I'm gate-checking, since only one person at each end of the flight handles the guitar.

7. tnvol

tnvol Supporting Member

I've never had a problem. I've become an expert at sneaking guitars onto planes. lol

8. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I just witnessed a guy with a violin getting harrassed by the TSA gate agent that checks your ID before you go through security who was saying "you'll need to go back and check that as it won't fit in the overhead." I was like... WTF!?!? The thick-accented TSA guy was only looking at that thing that sits on the floor as his guide since the case was too long to slide into it. Then he started giving the violin toting guy a super hard time saying "I'm just doing my job sir." I fly over 50,000 miles a year and I see guitars ALL OVER the airport. Oh well.

9. Rob 62

Rob 62 Member

Ask the attendants if they can stick it into one of the vertical closets. A lot of people don't know about them. We had a long wardrobe bag with a wedding dress in it, and that's where it went. Of course, yes - you have to get it past the TSA, first.

10. silentbob

silentbob Member

If you gate check it, the guitar ends up in the cargo hold with all of the other bags, something you said you wanted to avoid.