Anyone had this happen? (Esquire Content)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by m@2, Aug 8, 2008.

1. m@2

m@2 Member

I guess you could say I'm a "Tele" guy (but, I have a great R7 as well), and about 2 years ago got my first Esquire. Played that almost exclusively for about 1.5 years. Then decided I'd rotate my other Teles back in... So here's the thing.

Ever since I went back to Teles, I don't use the neck p/u AT ALL!... it's like my ears were trained to the Esquire, and the neck p/u just does not sound "right" or work for me anymore... I had no intention of ignoring the neck p/u, but man, I think I may be a permanent Esquire lover. Maybe will just convert my Tele and be done with it. Anyone else experience this? Have I gone mad? :NUTS (wait, don't answer that)

2. uncle psychosis

uncle psychosis Member

On my tele I never use the neck pickup on its own. Middle or bridge all the way.

3. m@2

m@2 Member

whew! so i'm not alone! yah, it's not that the neck p/u sounds partuiculary bad, but it's almost artificial sounding (to me) compared to the bridge. I'm sure it has a lot to do with my playing style & technique, because I have seen some folks sounds awesome on the neck p/u...

4. Nashville Slim

Nashville Slim Member

An Esquire will steal your mind... forever!

5. fisheric

fisheric Member

the solution i found was to install either a humbucker or p90 in the neck.

6. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Maybe you need a different neck pickup oir even to adjust the one in there already.

Or Position 3 Reeducation Camp.