Anyone have a boutique lefty Tele?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Rick Towne, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Rick Towne

Rick Towne P&W--Praise & Western--on 6, 8 and 12 strings. Silver Supporting Member

I have a Zion '50 and several ASAT Classics, all with benders. I'm interested in Nashes, Suhrs, Groshes, et al, but only Tele-styles. Leave out Anderson because of the non-ashtray bridge. FWIW, I can't get a dealer call back re a lefty Nash. Pictures welcome. Thanks......

2. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Supporting Member

There is one lefty Lentz T style out there.
    [​IMG]

3. angler87

angler87 Member

I had a lefty Nash Custom Telecaster and sold it on ebay not too ago- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2384&item=7362818449

It took me about 8 months to get the guitar. Overall, it was a nice guitar. Huge neck, great weight and tone. Paid about 1600 with shipping.

I ended up selling it after finding a vintage lefty 1972 Fender Tele

From what I understand, dealers should be able to order you one. Let me know if you have any questions about the Nash

4. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

We're nearing completion on our first lefty. It was really confusing and I'm still wondering how we're going to test it properly since none of us can play left handed. :confused:

5. eric102673

eric102673 Member

Jim, are you guys making Teles now too? I thought you just did the Swan long scales. I'll have to check your site out again.

-e.

6. moreeye

moreeye Member

Here is one of the new Lentzes, the first lefty ever made..
    [​IMG]

7. Jim Soloway

Call that an oops. All I saw was the lefty part and missed the Tele. :jo

8. eric102673

eric102673 Member

No sweat Jim, it got me off my duff and checking out your site again.
    The bubinga 7 string is kicking. Love that top.

I'm guessing you are out at NAMM again this year. I've heard you playing at "the" Saturday NAMM breakfast the last couple of years so of course I'm looking forward to that. How far is your shop from the show?

I was thinking since I'm in town that week it might be cool if I could swing by the shop and check out the stuff in progress. I've taken the tours through the PRS factory, the Gibson factory and even got the full tour out at Fender a couple years back. Oh and of course I go by Ron Thorn's place every year. I just dig seeing guys do their thing. The behind the scenes of guitar construction is fascinating and really informative. Especially if you dig custom built instruments.

Anyway, any chance of a tour? If now's not good, I should be out there again later in the spring, so maybe then? I bet I could even get a small group to come out there. Just let me know.

Catch ya out there either way!

-e.

9. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I like that Lentz pickguard...kinda reminds me of an amoeba :)

10. erksin

erksin Member

I'll play crash test dummy for ya!

11. Jim Soloway

SOrry to disappoint you, but I'm based in Oregon. However, I actually have a booth this year, so I'm bringing a ton of guitars including the 6-string mate to that bubinga 7-string. I'll be with Ben Fargen in booth 1389. I'll have a couple guitars at the DiMarzio booth as well and we're trying to set up a gathering for the Tuesday night before the show.

And Erksin, you should have mail in about 5 minutes.

12. eric102673

eric102673 Member

Wow Jim, Believe it or not, that's actually even better!

My brother just moved to Gresham, OR last week. He's got several friends up in that area and he's been talking about doing it for years. From what he said before he left, it sounds pretty close to Portland.

Anyway, I told him I'd definitely come visit him soon and maybe even spend a couple weeks up there this summer. I hear it's really beautiful. Do you let folks just drop by the shop or would you need some heads up so I'm not interrupting construction or whatever. I'd certainly give ya a call at LEAST a few days in advance, unless you need more notice. I'm sure we could set something up. I'll try to swing by at NAMM or catch you at the breakfast.

(Sorry for the thread derail BTW)

-e.

13. Jim Soloway

Just give me a call a few days in advance and we'll arrange a get together. And I'm looking forward to meeting at NAMM. It's always a blast.

14. Rick Towne

Rick Towne P&W--Praise & Western--on 6, 8 and 12 strings. Silver Supporting Member

Angler87, can you tell me if you ordered through a dealer; if so, which one? I'd be looking for a 'stock' butterscotch '52.
    Thanks.

15. angler87

angler87 Member

I ordered my lefty Tele directly through Bill around late Jan 05. He started doing the dealers only thing around September. I remember back when I ordered the guitar, he still had a listing of all the client build pages on one page. There were about 75 guitars listed. The only only other lefty was a T-52. Looked great, much better than a Fender.

I actually purchased a used Fender 52 reissue in early January only to return in a couple days later. I'm glad I did because the Nash smoked the 52 RI.

The Nash was a great guitar but took longer than I expected. It was my first custom built guitar and somewhat a learning experience.