Anyone have a D-18 with white binding?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by MarkWorth, Sep 13, 2009.

1. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

I'd like to see a picture please : )

2. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Member

The spec for the style 18 Martin gtr (regardless of D, OOO, etc) has always been tortoise, then in the sixties, black binding. Unless Martin's custom shop offers the option, you flat will not see a D-18 with white binding. Perhaps a non-Martin copy of a D-18...

3. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

well if i could just go to a generic music gear website and take a look at a stock one, don't you think i would've just done that? :D

yes, the obvious underlying message is i'm looking for someone's custom order:)

4. in a little row

in a little row Member

never heard of such a thing...

5. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

well, considering it'll have to be a custom order, i'm not expecting most people to have seen one..

although!...after i put down the payment in a few days, i'll have one in 4 to 6 months!

that is, unless, someone shows me a picture of one, and it's hideous :p

6. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Member

What is it you wish to see? An image of a spruce top/mahogany back and sides/dreadnaught gtr with white/ivoriod binding? Since I have no personal interest, sorry, I won't do the search work for you, but I would be utterly amazed if such an image could not be found somewhere on this internet thingy! So many builders/gtr companies offer mahogany dreadnaughts, there's gotta be at least one who deviates from Martin style 18 binding specs with a picture on their site, no?! If you have already conducted an exhaustive google search, found nothing, and I am entirely incorrect, please excuse my impertenance.

7. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

You're excused. Glad you did have time to write that though!

And to be exact, I'd really like to see a sunburst dread with white d18 binding.

But I'm not exactly looking to start a fight over it. :)

8. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Member

Please do not mistake my emphatic style for antagonism. Whether it is apparent or not, my intent is to be helpful. And I can type 397 wpm, so don't be concerned about my time!

You only just now mention sunburst in the equation, which is a whole 'nuther consmetic element. So, nothing in the way of images on the 'net?!? Huss&Dalton, Collings, Mark Taylor, nobody? Que surprizo!

9. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

lol. well that's a lie :)

i'd love it if you took the time discussing what's out there with me and found me what you say there is. It's time either way you know, and i could sure use the help!

10. in a little row

in a little row Member

I went thru my copy of the Martin Signature models book, and didnt see anything there...i think Yairi makes a sunburst model similar to what you describe, but honestly, to me it ceases being a d-18 at that point...

11. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

yari huh? great! i'll check that out. thanks so much for the tip/help

But, i must also ask...."ceases to be a d-18 at that point?"

what point? the only difference between what i'm asking and a d-18ge in its stock sunburst is the binding is white instead of black. does the color of the binding make that much difference to you?:confused:

12. in a little row

in a little row Member

sure man...

well, finish, binding...that sweet mahogany utilitarian look...yes, more than that makes it a different guitar in my eyes...

i think the dy-45, 46 is what im thinking of...

post pics once you get it

13. Big White Tele

Big White Tele Member

14. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

gosh it's beautiful!

yeah, that's really really close. i was just hoping to see how the 18 style looked in white, as the style 28 is different.

15. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

A guy named Michael Daves plays a 1960 D-18 with white binding on the fretboard and headstock, it isnt' stock though. In the 60's Jon Lundberg, along with Mike Longworth were fancying Martins up. Adding binding, and inlays. They are rarer, don't see a lot of them, but they are out there.

Just saw this thread and thought I'd post that. Also, check out the Chris Thile & Michael Daves album, can hear that old D-18 on there, sounds great!

EricPeterson likes this.