Anyone have a fix that'll keep my P90s from getting pushed in?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by acwild, Feb 13, 2012.

1. acwild

acwild Member

I love these pickups but my hand keeps resting around the area of my bridge pickup and pushes it down enough that the sound changes. The pickup usually stays down where it's pushed so that I have to pull it back out. Anyone have a solution that doesn't require me to change where I rest my picking hand?

2. Lemon Crush

Lemon Crush Member

3. slugworth

slugworth Supporting Member

This. For me the strat-style pickup strings work great. Invert one underneath each screw. Perfect length, easy to screw down, and firm enough to provide plenty of upward push against your hands.

4. acwild

acwild Member

Hey, that's brilliant! Thanks! Now to see if I can find some better springs.

5. blam

blam Member

I use rubber tubing, the same stuff fender uses on telecasters and probably strats too.

6. mrmatt1972

mrmatt1972 Member

If springs don't do it, cut some cardboard to the right thickness and size and use double sided tape to attach the cardboard to the guitar body under the pickup. The thickness is the space you want between the pickup and the body. You won't push it in after that.

7. acwild

acwild Member

I'm not sure what kind that you're referring to. I'll try anything at this point.

This seems like the most practical fix based on what I have at hand.

Thanks all! Is this a common problem?

8. Bhodie

Bhodie Member

A lot of guitar techs use pieces of the foam that the p90's come in when you buy them in the plastic box.. if you have any old pu boxes around cut a piece of that foam, lay it in the bottom.. screw it back it to height.. easy peasy.. and potentially less damaging than cardboard.. has some "give"

9. acwild

acwild Member

Great idea! I think I do have some foam sitting around here. Thanks! I've never taken a P90 out so I'm wondering what it looks like underneath.

10. jamdogg

jamdogg Member

^this is how my LP is setup. Works well, but springs are obviously easier to adjust.

[​IMG]

11. rockonomics

rockonomics Member

P90's are kind of a different animal when it comes to this. If you like resting on a P90, it may be best to get your height where you want it and then use a block of wood the proper thickness underneath the pup in question. Springs, foam corrugated cardboard, don't care what you use. It's gonna compress. Balsa is the easiest option in this case. And it'll compress a bit.

12. Lemon Crush

Lemon Crush Member

One of the first things I do when I get a new Fender, is take those damn things out. I hate those. They're useless.

13. acwild

acwild Member

Very good point. I don't necessarily like resting my hand on the pickup but my hand tends to rest near the bridge which pushes the pickup down every so often. The sound change is so obvious that I don't even have to look to see if it happened.

14. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

How about easing up on your picking hand...

15. ES350

ES350 Member

There's a stiffer sort of foam that is used in electronic/optical instrument cases. This stuff compresses a little bit, but springs back; I use this in soarbar P90 setups.

16. goodwater

goodwater Member

I had a LP Special that would do this so I just cut a small piece of foam rubber and put it under the PU---worked like a charm

17. b2sc

b2sc Member

If you want to do it right, shim w/mahogany to your desired height. Are we talking LPs here? If not, use whatever wood the body is made if. It'll sound very close to direct mounting. I've tried the foam and this is much, much better.

18. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

Really? I'll trade you springs all day long for rubber tubing!

For the OP, you can do some test fitting with wood scraps an make some risers that are the correct thickness to raise your pickups to the correct height. Since they don't compress, it will be similar to hard-mounting the pickups. They won't move at all.

19. jamdogg

jamdogg Member

What foam did you use?

20. acwild

acwild Member

Thanks for all the tips! It is for a Les Paul.