anyone have a floyd equipped guitar and not use the floyd at all?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by spookyelectric, Feb 13, 2015.

1. spookyelectric

spookyelectric Supporting Member

I'm getting really frustrated with my 2 floyd equipped guitars. One because it's full floating (just got it this week-- sounds and plays killer, but that floating floyd is killing me to tune!), and the other because, well, I'm just not good at using the floyd. I've had it for a while, and it really has a great sound to it (it's flush mounted).

I have some buddies who love floyd equipped guitars, and they're very good at using them tastefully, whereas I sound like a kid at Guitar Center :dunno

I take the bars off of both of them, start playing and I seem to be much happier. But they both play different than my non-floyd equipped guitars, and even without using the floyds on them, I greatly enjoy them both. I just don't enjoy trying to use the floyds on them :(

Anybody else here have a floyd-equipped guitar that you don't use the bar on at all? Maybe don't even have the bar on it? Just trying to figure out if there are others as weird as me when it comes to these darned floyds.

2. filtersweep

filtersweep Member

Block it? Mine never goes out of tune. Period.

3. spookyelectric

my flush mounted one doesn't, but the floating one I'm still dialing in-- I think because it's floating I haven't stretched the strings out as much as I think I have. I think I may end up with a trem-stop on that one to make it drop-only.

4. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

Use a light touch with the bar, they're sensitive. Doesn't take much. But once locked down and stretched a Floyd can be awesome.

5. cardinal

cardinal Member

I love Floyds, and I really prefer floating ones. I'm not a heavy trem user, I just like to add warble/shimmer to cords with the bar (and the occasional dip or pull up of a harmonic).

Tip for tuning a floating Floyd: block it. I use a stack of index cards, but Post-It's or anything like that will work. I put it behind the trem block and tend to pull a spring to make sure the Floyd is not going to move while I tune. You want the block to force the trem level. Then stretch and tune your strings. Lock the nut, put back the spring, take out the block, and adjust the spring claw until you're back in tune. Shouldn't be too bad, and now you'll pretty much never go out of tune.

6. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I rarely use my Floyds. I just use five springs with them. They behave like a hard tail this way.

7. CowTipton

CowTipton Silver Supporting Member

I put a tremel-no on one of my floyded guitars to make it a hardtail.

Bonus: locking nut and fine tuning on bridge means this thing stays in tune for weeks.

8. niassist

niassist Garage Rock Star Supporting Member

I have one Floyd guitar and three other guitars with tremolos on them and I don't whammy any of them. I just prefer the way they sound and play.

9. Sauntman

Sauntman Member

I have a HSS configured Jackson Dinky with a full floating Floyd. It is a bit of a pain to tune after a string change, but once in tune it stays in tune better than any other guitar I own. I am gassing for a shred type guitar with HH pickups and I am leaning towards a hardtail. I rarely use a tremolo so a Floyd might not be worth the extra hassle. Especially when it comes to switching to alternate tunings.

10. XSSIVE

XSSIVE D'Avanzo Guitars Vendor

The majority of my guitars have non-recessed dive only Floyds and it's always my preference on a guitar. Great tuning stability, comfortable under my hand, I like the sound of them when resting on the body with a big brass block, d-tuna for drop d is convenient, no issues with bends going out of tune like a floating Floyd, no issues with the whole guitar going out if one string breaks, can dive bomb all day long and never go out of tune if wanted. That said I can go days without ever touching the bar. Just because it has a bar doesn't mean you always have to use it, but it's nice to have the option.

11. scott944

scott944 Member

Picked up an older Steely Dan DVD a few months ago. Walter Becker plays a Floyd - equipped Sadowski for the whole show. No bar, no whammys.

12. DMTransmutation

DMTransmutation Member

(Was just browsing this site for the first time and it was this thread which made me want to sign up. :JAM)

Funny, I was just thinking about this today. Most of my guitars have floyds and I never use them. I do the occasional scoop with the bar, but I never really do any fancy whammy stuff like you would normally associate with a floyd. I can also go weeks or months without touching a whammy bar at all. For some reason I never totally bonded them. I've also grown to really hate locking nuts.

I have this old Ibanez Radius guitar with a Tremel-no and when it's in hardtail mode, the thing has that solid like-a-rock feel just like a Telecaster, where it just feels like a plain ol' plank of wood with strings. I love that feel!

The problem has been that I'm always looking for great deals on used guitars, and more often than not, I find one I'm really interested in (usually based on pickups and tone woods) that also happens to have a damn floyd. Every single time I think to myself "eh, ok, I can live with it...", and now I have over a half-dozen floyd guitars that get little to no whammy bar usage. Damn shame. :eek:

13. spookyelectric

DMT-
    Glad this thread was what got you to sign up!

I'm also glad that I don't seem to be alone in liking a floyded guitar, but not using the Floyd.

One of my favorite guitarists, Nuno Bettencourt, hasn't used the Floyd on his #1 N4 for what, like 20-some years? Maybe I shouldn't worry about it to much then!

14. tobereeno

tobereeno Member

I don't use the bar much, but I'm happy with Floyds - nearly all my guitars have them. Tuning stability. string tension is also less when you're bending.

I should probably block my bridges as I don't really pull up. As it stands though, I've started using Super Vee Mag-loks, replacing Tremsetters that I've used for years. Tremsetters work fine; they just require some drilling and careful calibration of the springs within the device.

I remember years ago when Ibanez did a fixed-Floyd bridge for a Satriani model. It made no sense when I saw it, but I understand it now. There's a lot more to liking a Floyd bridge than the dive-bomb ability.

15. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan Member

THIS!!! Get a tremble-no. I'm like you - my first guitar as a teen was a Kramer Pacer. Loved the guitar, because it was THE guitar at the time, but man that Floyd was a pain. Flash forward - I see Charvels being remade in the USA. Gotta have one, but it's got that damn FR on it. Put the Tremel-no on it and - done.

Makes changing strings easier also.

16. BeardoCI

BeardoCI Member

Been umming and ahhing over a Tremel-no for my Rhoads. I bought the guitar because it was cheap, and it plays and sounds fine, but it turns out I just don't like Floyds at all. I barely use a trem on any guitar though, FR or otherwise.