Anyone Have a Fuchs TDS?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GregS, Aug 27, 2005.

1. GregS

GregS Member

I'm interested in the Fuchs Triple Drive Supreme amp. Does anyone have one? Have you played one?

They are expensive but intriguing. I would appreciate any opinions.

2. Boomer

Boomer Member

I'm expecting one shortly, but I'm pretty sure that really doesn't help you. ;)

3. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

expensive? You'll have basically three amps going on there. Great deal and package. you'll won't need anything else.

4. GregS

GregS Member

I take it you have one then? How do you like the three channels? I won't need anything else if the three channels do everything REALLY well.

I don't have any Fuchs dealers in my neck of the woods so I am trying to do the research before opening my wallet. There isn't much info availabe via google. I'm hoping someone here has first-hand experience...

5. Laser

Laser Member

I have one. Took it out on a gig Saturday night.

The TDS is a workingman's amp. If you are looking to strum a chord on the clean channel and be awestruck by the beauty of the sound, look elsewhere. But the clean is big, punchy and has a nice tone to it. Think a big, fat and musical Keith Richards clean-- not a beautiful sultry Chris Isaak clean.

With a strat, every cover song I played on the clean channel (at least 20 songs) cut through nicely and sounded anywhere from good to very good. Only once did it sound phenomenal (Brown Sugar), but never once did it sound mediocre, either.

The distortion on Channel #3 turned heads the first note I played. Several people (including the drummer) commented on how nice the distortion sounded. Cut through perfectly. It's not a Van Halen blow your doors away slamfest or a Brian May tube- melting milkshake, but I easily dialed in a Santana-meets-Free lead sound that worked great on everything from Blues to Rock. For me, the distortion was the perfect combination of sweet, sustainy and singing. Got it at decent volumes, too--which really helps when you're doing a ballad.

Couldn't dial in anything worth using on Channel #2, but I was more interested in having Channel #3 giving me what I wanted. Footswitch is extremely well built and thought out.

Didn't use effects (other than the reverb) last Saturday--only missed them when I had to strum an accoustic guitar-type song. I will be adding a good rack mount multi-effect soon. The reverb is nice, but it's decay is very slow. This has a nice effect, but I prefer my reverb to blend better with the notes. This is a personal thing; I like reverb to sweeten and fatten the tone up a little but not to where you easily hear it . The long decay can make this difficult (the Bruno UG30 has what I think is a near-perfect reverb).

Don't want you to think it's the king of all amps. It's not. But, I doubt if I'll take any other amp to gig for a long time. I'm still in the honeymoon phase, which means that I haven't had it long enough to be irritated by anything nor long enough to bring it to it's full potential. In a nutshell, it's a workingman's amp and does the job very nicely.

Laser

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

what speakers? cause i've read of people RAVING about the clean channel.

7. Laser

Laser Member

Eminence Wizard 1x12 combo.

I try to shoot for accuracy in my reviews and leave out the hype. The fact is, I've tried a lot of amps and I've yet to find one that handles gigs as well as this one.

At the same time, the Dumble SSS, Bruno UG30 and TR Custom had cleans that I thought were more beautiful and musical. Each had something about them that didn't work for me (Dumble too expensive, UG30 broke up too early and the TR Custom could give me a great clean or a great distortion but I couldn't immediately switch one to the other).

What's wrong with "big, punchy and good tone" on an amp that gives you great distortion as well?

Laser

8. Ok I am weighing in here.

I may be slightly biased as i am an endorsee, but i also happen to own a lot of amps, and have owned everything you can imagine over the last 25 years.

The TDS is hands down the best amp i have ever owned! Period!

Clean huge and warm and flexible from country to funk to traditional jazz, plus it loves pedals. Throw an xotic BB stomp on the clean channel or an Ibanez ts808 and Bam! The beautiful soloing sound of doom! Now moving to the other channels, It just gets better! i could go into a lot of detail, but i will just say this;
    I have owned so much gear and never form attachments. i buy and sell and trade all the time, looking for stuff to make my life as a working musician better. Here is the point; I will NEVER EVER sell this amp! Simple as that.

I play it through 2 different cabs; a Victoria 2x12 pine openback with eminence legend 121's at 4ohms anda Bogner 4x12 slant with Classic 80's.

If you are serious about an amp, this is a great one, no doubts!

best
    John

9. Neil

Neil Member

I have a tds 50. I got it yesterday. I played it all day today including a jam with a bunch of people this eveing.

I has great sounds on each channel and cut through the mix with real class.

Looking forward to spending more time with it.

This is my 4th Fuchs and the best all round.

10. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

thank you for a wonderful review! this actually made me more interested in buying one than the usual hyped-up reviews that end up revealing less about the amp than about the guitarist.

11. Neil

Neil Member

Fuchs yeah!!!!!!

With apologies to fans of Team America

12. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

i've played one, as well as a bruno ug 30 and cowtipper, and two rock opal, custom, topaz, and ruby for comparison's sake.

my felling is that the clean tone sits between the opal's blackface 3d thing and the ug30's denser smokier vibe, which is a pretty great place if you ask me.

the driven sounds are nice and tactile, meaning you can still affect nuances of brightness or warmth with finger pressure and pick control through the gain compression. in this way, it has more of the dumble sheen i hear on ford records, and less of the two rock's chimey grit comparable to eric johnson/srv blackface type pushed sounds.

13. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

bada-bumpin' this one... would love to hear more impressions of the TDS, also would love to hear it compared to the ODS

(cue Elvis voice) Thank-ya, thank-ya verry much

14. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

i'll toss one more at you

there is a vicious hard rock sound in the TDS, lurking beneath all the touchy feely hippy guru beatnik tones, as well. but it is so dependant on the speaker. playing it through EV will not bring out the animal, but it will make it a jazzier clean/fusion amp.

but with the cab they used at NAMM...eminence red white and blue speakers i think???....it was molten grind city akin to the aiken saber's mean tones.

15. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

Guys, I am completely satisified with my 50 watt TDS 4x10 combo. The only pedal I'm using is a BB. I've got every possible tone you can think of. This is it for me, don't think I'll be looking for another amp unless this one blows up. Then I'll get another one.

As soon as I find a way to record and post clips I will. Its truly amazing.

16. lv

lv Supporting Member

Thanks so much for the hype free review. We need more of that around here. I've played/owned a few of the Fuchs amps none had cleans that blew me away in a gorgeous fender blackface type of way, I was kinda hoping this new one might have that.

17. Neil

Neil Member

18. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

19. davidl13

davidl13 Supporting Member

what is the wattage of your tds?
    i am trying to figure out if i need 100w for a great clean tone with the tds or can i play with a 5 piece band classic rock and get a great clean w 50watts

thanks

20. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I own one and have gigged and recorded with it. It is an awesome sounding amp. The clean channel will do blackface as long as you set the voicing switches properly. The B overdrive channel has crunch, bloom, chord definition in spades. The C overdrive channel is the bomb. It can give you a violin like lead tone easily. The reverb and loop are the best I've heard. The only con for me is the typical "soft" low end of "D" style amps in the OD channels. In this respect, the Carol Ann Tucana suits me better. The Clean of the TDS is still better IMO. BTW, I am selling mine.