Anyone have a Gibson ES335 Fat Neck that can tell me how the neck really feels?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ILikeGuitar, Feb 10, 2012.

1. ILikeGuitar

ILikeGuitar Member

I was wondering how big the neck was compared to other Gibson guitars. The only Gibsons I've played extensively are the SG standard, SG Faded, 335 Faded and ES339 50's neck. Does the bigger neck change the tone at all?

2. mykleb

mykleb Member

I have a 59' Gibson Custom ES-335 and it has a fat neck on it. I love everything about the guitar. The fat neck takes a little while to get use to especially if you like to wrap your thumb around for chords. Overall, I really like it and it's definately a keeper.

3. Steve73

Steve73 Member

I have a 50th Anniversary '59 335 with a fat neck. I'd say it is similar to the '50's Gibson USA as far as thickness but with quite a bit more shoulder. I just got a Warmouth Boatneck for my Strat and the 335 neck feels quite close to that.

Love this thickness, it is perfect for me and I do notice a 'bigger' tone with my guitars that have larger necks. Case in point, I swapped my EJ Strat neck (quartersawn, medium thickness), to the Warmouth neck above. It really sounds like a new guitar now. The neck construction and thickness has a HUGE effect on a guitar's tone.

4. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

I have a 339 with the 50s neck and I've played a Fat Neck 335. I believe that on the box that they ship the 339 in they call it a Fat Neck. They are very, very similar. It is also similar in size to the neck on my 60s custom shop vos LP Special singlecut.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  5. ILikeGuitar

ILikeGuitar Member

Well the Fatneck Memphis 335 is a different neck profile than the 59 Historic right? Is the Historic a bigger neck than the Fat Neck Memphis? The 50s neck on the 339 I've played isn't really that big for me and feels pretty comfortable (it also didn't feel as big as my old SG standard's neck)