Anyone have a Les Paul only later to sell it?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SmartAlex, Jan 14, 2019.

1. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

Very frustrated with Les Paul's.
    Uncomfortable to play, went down the humbucker rabbit hole $$$$, neck position always too dark/muddy, too much tone chasing, 50s wiring kits, top wrap or not, ABR vs Nashville, too many cork sniffers and CS snobs, plastics arent the correct color, NOS caps or not?, finish sucks, etc, etc, etc.
    Sold them all and only play Strat's.
    I'm way happier.
    Feel like I was in a bad marriage and got a divorce.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    epauley and SmartAlex like this.
  2. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

That's kind of why most of the others have gone. They were nice guitars, too, but there was some redundancy with my axes and I wanted more variety, so the other Les Pauls went and in came Strats and Teles and Godins and PRSs, etc...
    Plus, I had Gary Rossington sign my '82 Standard back in '95 since he was one of my main inspirations back when I was starting.
    Here's my small LP collection: Standard, Epiphone uke, modified BFG.

[​IMG]

SmartAlex likes this.
  3. SmartAlex

SmartAlex Member

Haha, good way to think about it! I love my Elite Stratz Spent the extra $ to get a lot of bells and whistles but not as much as a Custom Shop too.

4. SmartAlex

SmartAlex Member

There are still lovely guitars. Thnx for sharing.

5. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

Early on in my gigging daze I had a natural finish '72 Strat and natural finish '74 Les Paul Standard which worked great for our bar band cover music. The Les Paul was easier to get great tones from and I found I really needed to improve my vibrato to make the Strat sound as good. I sold the Les Paul to buy a '63 Strat and then added a '62 Tele as the single coil sounds worked better for the more Americana original tunes we were writing so played only single coils for the next twenty years or so. About five years I started missing the humbucker tones so found an '82 natural Les Paul Standard and love it. Still favoring my Strats and Tales but, when I need that humbucker sound, the Les Paul delivers big time. And I totally dig my natural finishes!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    SmartAlex likes this.
  6. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

Gosh, I can't think of how many LPs I've owned over the years. First was a black 1968 Custom that I traded my Strat for in in '71, I think, most vintage one was a sweet '52 goldtop (purchase price $275). Best one is a tie between a '68 Goldtop I had in the 70's and a recent '55 reissue. I've had at least one LP pretty much constantly from that first one, up until a couple years ago when I got a used Thorn SFC.

SmartAlex likes this.
  7. jens5

jens5 Silver Supporting Member

Started out with an L5-S,(kind of LPish). Then a 70's Silver burst. Then two, LP Trad's. Then a 2016 custom shop R8. All gone. Love the LP concept, just don't like playing them. I'm a Semi-hollow guy. Lighter, sounds great, less filling. :aok

SmartAlex likes this.
  8. gibson3798

gibson3798 Member

Started with a LP G0 that was ok but not what I was hearing, luckily it sold easily.

Got interested in the early ‘90’s LP Standards and found a well played ‘91 with Sheptone PAF’s and that one will stay with me to the end.

SmartAlex likes this.
  9. seantk

seantk Supporting Member

I have owned 4 Les Pauls in my 30+ years of playing. I love the look and the sounds, but I never could really bond with them as much as I wanted to. I mostly play Fender guitars now.

SmartAlex likes this.
  10. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I had a trad R4 goldtop that I loved and bought for a great price, but I just could not adapt to the weight. Sold it for a nice profit and only occasionally drool over unaffordable weight relieved R4s. I seem to get everything I need these days out of my 5.7# partscaster tele. So it goes, so it went.....

jon

SmartAlex likes this.
  11. Terry McInturff

Terry McInturff 40th Anniversary of guitar building! Gold Supporting Member

Yes, I completely understand the psychology behind that. Music appreciation/creation/generation is, after all, a deeply emotional process and things associated with all of that have a special importance!
    On the other hand, to me the music is the HUGE #1 and in the end I look at guitars as being tools, primarily. And so, I want the best tools and the history no longer matters to me like it did when I was in my 20's.
    I'm not immune, however; I just bought a piece of recording gear because one of my fave recording engineers uses one!

SmartAlex likes this.
  12. Jack Luminous

Jack Luminous Member

I'm looking at some LP Axcess right now (stop tail, no floyd), mainly because it's light and more comfy than more traditional LPs and I'm not a purist anyway. Why did you sell yours if you don't mind sharing ?

SmartAlex likes this.
  13. Zandalf

Zandalf I don't remember

Way back as a youth in the mid-70s, I bought an new 20th? anniversary sunburst LP standard. Fairly quickly, I realized that the truss rod had been put in without ever being properly set up. Consequently, you could only tighten the rod, not loosen it. Sent it back to Gibson who took months to fix it and when it came back the 12th fret "Anniversary" inlay was gone. Thanks guys!.... But the guitar always seemed stiff and cold. Sooooooo - sold it a little too cheap. Five years later, met a dude with a '69 gold top that he had stripped of the finish and removed the mini-humbuckers. He also sanded down the heel which made playing the high frets a bit easier. So I take my somewhat clunky '63 Strat, and make a trade! I wasn't sure what the two humbuckers were that he had installed, but I replaced them with a '59/PAF style DiMarzio & a similar Seymour Duncan. About 6 years ago I had to have the inlays replaced (got some cool greenish abalone ones from StewMac), had the frets re-done AND --- that guitar has the best tone of ANY guitar I have! Plays great too. Yeah it's heavy, but it stays in the house or goes to the studio and that's about it. A Duesenberg Caribou is my main ax now, and it's great, but that '69 LP.... WOW!

SmartAlex likes this.
  14. guitarJoe91

guitarJoe91 Member

I’ve gone through 9 Les pauls in about 3 years; 7 specials (because they sound better w/ P90s), 1 deluxe with minis humbuckers and a traditional. I love the look, but for me they’re the most uncomfortable guitar to play (next to a strat).

They just don’t sit in the right position for me, and I don’t care for the neck heel. Plus, I could not get a decent, serviceable tone out of 2 of them. The others just seemed dull and kind of lifeless. I’m just and SG/335 guy, and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

I won’t say I won’t own another Les Paul again, but I’m definitely taking a break, as my last two guitars that were in and out were Les pauls, so I’ve sort of spoured on them for the time being.

SmartAlex likes this.
  15. gonzoknife

gonzoknife Member

I had a gold top doublecut with P90s. I loved how it sounded but the neck heel was massive and I don't have long fingers. Playing above the 12th fret was awkward. I eventually traded it because I never used it. I have a Les Paul-ish Zemaitis guitar I love. It's more like an SG or Studio in that there's no cap. Also the Scale is 25". Amazing guitar.

I would like to get a P90 LP again one day but I need to avoid a huge neck heel. My hands aren't that big. If I have the money one day I'd love to get an Alex Lifeson model but that's not happening any time soon.

SmartAlex likes this.
  16. 8nthatK

8nthatK Supporting Member

I've gone through a metric ton of them. The good thing about 'em, if you buy half right you always get your $ back.

Fairly recently, I happened upon an 2018 R8 that is one of the best sounding guitars I've heard. Period. Zero mud neck pup; in fact it sounds freak'n awesome. Clear, articulate, even bell like.

Playability is off the charts with zero quality issues. It was hard to believe it was a Gibby :D

I will never part with this guitar, and I'm not a Les Paul 'guy'.

There seems to be a lot of glowing reports on the 2018 CS Lester's. I haven't played enough of the '18's to weigh in with any type of authority, but this particular one is *magic.
    It wouldn't surprise me, if down the road, the 2018's are a sought after year.

SmartAlex likes this.
  17. BCnSTL

BCnSTL Supporting Member

I had a Les Paul Axcess - Iced Tea finish. Gorgeous, fantastic guitar. I sold it because I'm a hack player and I didn't like having a $3K guitar sitting around waiting for me to noodle on it. I can do that on my $900 Strat Plus.

SmartAlex likes this.
  18. SmartAlex

SmartAlex Member

You can maybe get an HP model where they scooped out some of the body on the back for better access?

gonzoknife likes this.
  19. Wolfboy1

Wolfboy1 Grandpa but...Not Yet Old! Silver Supporting Member

Yep, pretty much made my first choice of a nice guitar a no brainer....Les Paul burst. Like Jimmy and (later)Ace! Bought used, in near mint shape for $325 in 1975. Beautiful sunburst deluxe with those damn mini-humbuckers. I grew to hate that guitar and traded it in 1980 for an Ovation acoustic (long gone). Didn't buy another electric till 2002 after 2 things happened 1) I nearly died after multiple surgeries and 2) a friend showed me his "new" Line6 POD.

I went through several electrics and acquired a nice small variety: Schecter C-1 Classic, Fender USA strat, Fender franken-tele, Gretsch Chet Atkins, and my Ernie Ball BFR Axis. (It took about 20 guitars to get to this group that feel right and sound right to me).

2015 I got a Les Paul Blueberry Burst Standard.....Love it!

20. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Sold mine years ago and haven't looked back.
    Love my Johnny A. ;)