Anyone have a moment for an iPod - iTunes question?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by mark norwine, May 8, 2016.

1. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

I have an iPod....I have iTunes. I'm no huge fan of iTunes, but it works ok, I suppose.

So today I decided I wanted to listen to an album on my iPod. It wasn't there. Seems strange, because I seem to remember burning the CD to my iTunes, but I guess I'm mistaken.

So I get the CD, and go to burn it to my iTunes......but to my surprise, it's already in my iTunes library.

Is it possible that I haven't sync'd since I burned the disc to my library? So I sync.

The album still isn't on my iPod. I checked "songs"...I checked "compilations". It's just not there. At all.

I check the settings in iTunes...I checked "info". I checked everything I know to check. This album WILL NOT sync to my iPod.

Everything else in my library syncs to the iPod.....this album won't.

Does that make any sense to anyone?

sausagefingers likes this.
  2. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Is the file on your disc?

3. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

I have had a similar problem from time to time.

I think it has to do with the meta data associated with the album...iTunes has it categorized in such a way that when you use a logical approach on your device, you just can't get to it.

If you go in iTunes and look at all the possible columns, make sure all of the sortable labels are correct.

I may not be 100% right but that's what I encountered with some discs that I couldn't find on my iPod.

4. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

You're right.....

This took some sleuthing, but I got it. Thanks for the clues!

The whole "get info" process is only as good as the meta tags on the CD....and this particular CD didn't code the "artist" as "Artist"....it coded it as "Album Artist". It displayed "right" in my iTunes library, but there's no "Album Artist" category on an iPod, so technically iTunes sync'd the album to my iPod, but in a way that it was un-findable when looking for "Artists", because that field was blank in iTunes.

Can't really fault iTunes (as much as I'd like to!!) when the issue was an incorrect meta tag on the CD.

Anyway, mystery solved. Thanks for the guidance.

5. bender

bender Member

*&^%ing hate iTunes. I have iOS and Android devices; I can see how it works for a lot of people but if you do anything 'weird' or have an extensive and poorly tagged music collection, it can be a problem.

6. hellbender

hellbender Member

Select album and artist and see if it shows up after a sync.

On another level, always check your work.

7. Campfired

Campfired Member

Mark,

Try this: In your iTunes library, with your iPod connected, click on the small iPod icon in the upper left corner of your iTunes screen, directly under the iTunes Play/Pause button. When that opens, you'll see a variety of choices. Click on Music under Settings. Be sure that your iPod is set to sync music from selected playlists, albums, artists and genres.

You'll note that the lower portion of your screen contains several categories, including playlists, artists, genres and albums. To allow your iPod to sync with the specific album you'd like to be on your iPod, select the check boxes for both the artist name, and the album name, in their respective categories. Do this for all playlists, artists, genres and albums that you want to be shown on your iPod.

Then, click 'Sync' in the lower right corner of your iTunes screen, and wait until iTunes syncs completely with your iPod.

Then check your iPod to confirm that the songs now reside on your iPod. (A key feature is being sure that your iPod setting on its screen reads "Artists" instead of "Playlist" or "Songs") Your album should now be synced with iTunes and uploaded to your iPod.

8. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

I appreciate the input....but see post #4. I got it all figured out already.

9. Campfired

Campfired Member

I think my former iPod did this as well...just needed correcting the Get Info data so as to reflect what is shown on your iTunes library screen...it is (or was) possible to choose what song information is displayed on your iTunes library screen so your iPod can display the correct category per the design of the iPod.

Glad you got it worked out...it took me a good while to determine the nuances of iPod/iTunes. (And a few calls to AppleCare who patiently described some tips for working with iTunes)

10. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

you still have an ipod?

our phones do that now.

11. Campfired

Campfired Member

Me? No, donated my old iPod to my nephew when we upgraded our phones. And was more selective with what music was uploaded to my phone. Still kind of miss the old iPod for its extended playing time. My iPhone battery eats juice rather quickly....

12. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

The only problem with the phone is that it doesn't have enough storage to fit my music library.

13. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

yeah, there is something to be said for the old-school ipods with the actual disc drive and the huge storage space.

14. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Yep. I need the 160GB classic (with the click wheel) to fit the library on. Shame they don't make them anymore.

15. zenmindbeginner

zenmindbeginner Silver Supporting Member

I haven't found a good work around for mp3tag on a Mac so I just shuttle them over on my network to my PC, shuttle them back and THEN import them into my iTunes library.

iTunes doesn't actually edit the MP3 tag but just changes the metadata within iTunes itself. The song's tags remain un-edited even after you edit them. It's irritating.

So, Mp3tag has an entry for album artist which is sooooo important... great album art editing, lyrics... and a huge character limit for the description tag.

I'm a DJ and add anywhere from 20+1000 songs every week depending on the gig(s) I am preparing for. If I had to rely on iTunes to edit my tags, I would be getting a reputation as a bad DJ pretty quickly.

Always run through your library in artist mode and genre mode. Set your column browser to include the information you need for your tracks. When you run through in artist mode, check for artist misspellings and make sure that unknown artists get filled in properly. You shouldn't have any "unknown artists" if your tags are in order.

Keep a small set of genres and change the genres of songs as necessary. I don't need: electronic, electronica, electro, drum and bass, disco or dance genres... so I use the genre electronica/dance so I can easily find what I need all within one genre.

So when you run through in genre mode, you can easily spot the odd genres or bad genre tags quite easily with a standardized set of them.

dc_jcm800 likes this.
  16. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    And when you get Mark's thing fixed, my Ipod shows only a USB picture and it's locked in that position ... won't do crap when I plug it into the computer. :waiting I just want to get it working so I can sell it to some other bonehead. :cry:

17. Campfired

Campfired Member

+1. When we switched over to iPhones, the only music that is stored on them now is selected (read: check-boxed) playlists, not artists, nor albums nor genres. Saved immensely on storage memory.

Bluesful likes this.